1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions of the Zoli Z gun unsingle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Yesterday I bought a used zoli from the indiana gun club. Its the first used gun I have seen since there introduction at the ohio state a year ago. Come to think of it, its the first one I've seen since last years state shoot period! After shooting 100 targets(breaking the first 75 and dropping 2 on the last trap) and looking at the price I figured it better come home with me.

My question is: why aren't I seeing any of these guns? I know zoli has a huge following in the sporting market. I do really like how the gun looks and is constructed. To me it looks more sturdy than the caesar guirini. There a lot of similarities to the perazzi o/u. The trigger looks similar, the reciever is similar, how the gun locks together is identical.

I patterned the gun last night and was quite pleased with the adjustability of the rib. Both the front and back of the rib adjusts. You can actual go into the negatives with this gun. I managed to get it to shoot from 30/70, yes 70% of the pattern was below the point of aim. All the way up to 200%...center of pattern was 36 inches above the point of aim.

Does anyone else have one of these guns? What is everyones opinion of them? Thanks BYG

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Remember, the perazzi, like the zoli is based on the Boss action.

Beyond that just individual refinements.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have an older 1988 Zoli. Built like a tank.

I think the new Z-Gun takes a lot of the features of a lot of the competitor's excellent guns made in that same neighborhood, and have incorporated them.

I don't see any faults with the gun, and when I come back to the USA, it's high on my list of guns to consider when I upgrade.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If it looks like, feels like, fits like, shoots like a Perazzi, why not just buy a Perazzi ..? Buy a Chevy and put Bentley emblems on it, its still a Chevy ... I got to be missing something here ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Does (YAC) stand for" your advice center"?

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

A very very underrated gun. Well engineered and the best value on the market.

JMHO!!

Jb

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If I was giving advice, I charge for it ... No Charge, just an observation and expression of, on my part ... Debate my statement, if you can ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say Zoli has a "huge" following in sporting clays. From the pictures I've seen online of major tournaments, except for Brad Kidd and Ashley Halfley (both sponsored by Zoli), Zolis are few and far between.

Their marketing is fairly non-existent, and I think the Zoli is still tainted from its association with Verona.

9. 7bcshooter

7bcshooter Member

I have been looking at the Zoli undersingle too. I was wondering about parts and service. Does anyone have any information on how that aspect of purchasing one is? Craig

10. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

That's the problem No combo. Most gun company make the double barrel first. Zoil has been saying they well have the double in the fall of 2012 July of 2013 still nothing. Most trap shooter want to shoot doubles. Zoil will have to drop the price to get the gun in the hands of good shooter's. As you said the used price was good for you. No Resale value.

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Zoli hired a retired engineer from Perazzi to help design the
    Z Gun. They wanted the Z gun to be superior to a Perazzi. The
    center-line-of the bore sits app. 1/4" lower than the MX-2000.
    The lock-up is superior to a Perazzi. The trigger assembly is
    held in the frame by a allen screw and a spring-loaded ball
    detent. The receiver is extremely hard. Any engraving must be
    done before the hardening process. It is an excellant design.

12. BigM-Perazzi

why in the world would you need an allen screw to hold the trigger assembly in the gun???

Their best apparent attribute is a MSRP akin to a good used MX2000...

13. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I haven't shot the Zoli trap gun, but I assume it is top notch! There sporting clays guns are very nice and have a good following. It is a poor man's Perazzi - boss action, drop out trigger, very well regulated barrels, and they swing like a shotgun should - Italian style.

14. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

I wouldn't say they have a huge following in sporting clays either,in fact far from it. There are way more Krieghoff's, Berettas,Blasers, and brownings. I'll bet it's 100 to 1. I had Z-SPORT for Sporting. Very solid well made gun. Unfortunately i had trigger issues that Coles (Zoli service center for warranty for Zoli) could never completely fix.

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If I remember correctly, Kolar utilizes a allen head screw
    to retain their trigger assembly. I don't hear many complaints
    from the Kolar owners. My Alfermann trigger is also retained
    by a allen screw. At least the allen screw system doesn't
    allow the trigger assembly to move like Perazzi spring loaded
    plunger does.

16. BigM-Perazzi

Never hear of a problem...

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Superior to Perazzi? BAH, HUMBUG !!

18. JLYON

JLYON Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

ZOLI has been concentrating on there combo trap gun that is y you have not seen a lot of unsingle's on the market the dealers in the us told Zoli thy wanted combos so Zoli stopped making unsingle's and have been tooling up there combo line up for the us market if you go by the 2012 msrp price trap unsingle 5.999.00 the trap bilanx unsigle is 6.549.00 and the combo barrel add on 2.565.00 so that would be a range of with a case 8893.00 to 9421.00 and the case is 349.00 and that is a Negini case, now we will have to see what happens . Jim Lyon

19. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

$9k for a combo will be a problem for them, as it has been a problem for many others. In that price range, you can buy a VERY nice nearly new used Kolar, Krieghoff or Perazzi, all of which have a proven track record. Heck, at $9k for a Zoli combo, you're not that far away from a NEW Kolar, Krieghoff, or Perazzi combo.

If I'm in the market for a new gun, and I can pick up a gently used, like new Kolar/Krieghoff/Perazzi for the same price as a new "new kid on the block" (with little to no track record), I'm picking the known quantity EVERY time.

Really, I don't see it. When Verona was importing them in the early 2000s, MSRP was $4k, with a street price around $3k. CDNN was blowing them out for $1200 to $1500 when Verona went belly up a few years ago. I don't think they've improved enough (if any) since Verona to justify the price increases...

At $3k, they compete with the Beretta 68x line. At $6k, they compete with used Kolars, Krieghoffs, Perazzis, at $9-$10k, they compete with NEW Kolars, Krieghoffs, Perazzis.

20. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I know nothing about the sporting clay world. I was told by other shooters that Zoli had a big following in the sporting world. BYG

Search tags for this page

z bilanx unsingle trap

zoli trap gun

zoli vcs shotgun

zoli z gun review clay shooting usa