1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions of the Kolar T/S

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SeldomShoots, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I am considering purchasing a used Kolar T/S. I currently shoot a KX-5 and plan on keeping for the immediate future. I'm looking for any pros and cons about the T/S based on your experiences. It looks to be a well made gun and shoulders up quite well.

Thoughts and opinions based on facts or first hand experience appreciated.

Thanks, John E.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've shot a couple of these and really liked them They handle a lot like a 90T (imagine that) but was a little lighter. I liked the weight and balance on the .740 barrel better than the .750.

I think they are a good value in the premium single barrel trap gun market.

ss

3. SeldomShoots

Good point shuck, I am eyeballing a .740 bore model. John

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm a fan of Kolar as I own a pair of 90Ts and I have seen their operation in Racine, WI. However, I have seen a few things happen with a couple of T/Ss, just to mention.

One gentleman had a problem with the rib - specifically the bolt that tightens down near the action. It got fixed and didn't stop him from buying a max combo later.

A second gentleman who previously owned a KX-5, bought a T/S and went through more firing pins in one year (5-6, sometime 1 in a month) than he should have in a couple decades and he was shooting only a 100-200 targets each week... something was not quite right with that gun and he sold/traded in the gun and went back to the KX-5...

I know others who shoot their T/S without incident!

Respectfully offered,

Jay Spitz

5. SeldomShoots

Thanks Jay. About the only thing I don't like about my KX-5 is the recoil. Other than that it performs flawlessly.

What opinions are out their regarding the recoil of the T/S?

Thanks, John

6. il shooter

il shooter Member

there is very little recoil , have shot mine for 2 years and no problens . ther e service is outstanding.Jeff will bend over backwards to help you with a problen if any . IF at the grand go in and see him and he will set you up to shoot one all you h ave to do is walk in .

7. SeldomShoots

Doug, I will take you up on that offer, if I can make a quick appearance at a wedding and get over there.

John

8. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have two friends that shoot them and both love them.

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Kolar folks will do what ever it takes to make you a satisfied customer. Quality is second to none
    no matter what model you purchase. Shoot one at your earliest convienence.

Why settle for less?

Good luck and let us know what you purchased.

Dave

10. 19539trap

19539trap Member

I have a Kolar T/S. Also 3 K guns, 2 perazzi,and a few others.Recoil devices on all but Kolar. Don't need one. Great gun. Looked for a combo but no one wantes to trade real money. Just keep what I have. Jim

11. SeldomShoots

Gentlemen, thank you for your information and opinons. I bought a good used one last week. I'm still getting on to it and the poi. It has a standard rib and a higher poi rib from Kolar. The high one might be too high for me, but I am still working with it. It has a soft touch installed in a Wenig stock and has about 7 older style choke tubes with it. I have shot about 75 rounds through it and I am pleased with the amount of recoil and mechanical performance of the gun. If anyone needs a Kolar Cylinder through Full let me know. I plan on shooting the IM with this gun, and would sell the others at a reasonable price.

John E.

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you find yourself not getting the POI just right, check and see what rib hanger is on it. They make an "A" and a "B". Call Kolar and they'll help you get it where you want it.

ss

13. SeldomShoots

Thank you SS. I did not know that they made different rib hangers. John E.

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I will also offer my shooting services to you as well. As long as you supply the shells. Lol.

I hope this gun works out for you as I really liked the ones that I sampled. Now I just need to rob the piggy bank so I can buy one for myself.

ss

15. SeldomShoots

That doesn't sound like the worst offer in the world. If the T/S doesn't pan out for me, I'll let you know. Perhaps I could be your wheelman for the piggy bank robbery.

John E.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.