1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opinions of Ruger 22/96 .22mag lever

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by valmet, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

Trapshooting mostly over with here in Mn and after the deer season I'll be looking forward to fox and coyote hunting. the .22mag is a favorite and I just found & purchased a new 22/96 lever in 22mag. i know Ruger discontinued them but wanted comments and opinions of anyone who owns or has owned one. -pros & cons.

thanks in advance, Dennis

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Good gun in my opinion but many others do not agree and the resale is not real strong. Shoot it and have fun

3. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

I have one in .17HMR that I have used for a couple of years. It seems to function fine and works very well on varmints.

Jack

4. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had been thinking of going with an auto-loader but heard more bad than good about them and also found some new mfg. Winchester non magnum shells and didn't know if an auto would eject them. have a friend that has a 96 that shoots alot & likes his so we'll see. dennis

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

22 mags have seldom been noted for fine accuracy as compared to the 17s. That said, I'd rather shoot a 22 mag for yotes and have found that a little small out past a football field. I've moved up to a 223 contender carbine with reloads using a 45 grain Nosler at about 3300 fps. Light to carry, reaches right out there and not enough recoil to disturb your view through the scope.

Put that mag on a target at a hundred and let me know how it does. I had a bolt Marlin that wouldn't go three inches. I let an H&R auto rifle go and shouldn't have..it would stay in an inch and a half. I know those 10-22s can be made to shoot so maybe with a little tuning that mag will also.

Try three or four brands of shells. It will like on more than the rest.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have recently been enlightened to the 22Mag....its seems that its rep for mediocre accuracy can be blamed on the ammo...the poor bullets mostly....I have an old 22 mag Marlin bolt gun that was not looked upon as too valuable due to it not being very precise....so I go a bunch of new ammo together...WHAT A Difference...It will go an even inch at 100 with the new Hornady 30gr Vmax..and it does very close to the same with Winchester Dynamax and some of the heavy bullets loads too...much better than 20 years ago when I bought it..lots more ammo to experiment with and a ball to shoot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.