1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions of R.A.D. Recoil Reducer?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rodbuster, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I was talking to a gentleman at the club the other day, who had a R.A.D recoil device installed on his BT-100. He was very impressed with the way the unit worked. I was thinking about getting one for my BT, and was curious if anyone else had any experiance with these reducers? Are they that much differant than the Counter-coils, etc that are available?

Thank you for your time, Rodbuster.

2. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Rodbuster,

It is a great design. I had one on a Krieghoff that I shot for flyers. Shooting 1 1/4 loads in it all day long, it was very very smooth on big shells that were 3 3/4 dram.

I had one of the earliest ones that needed a steel insert where the set screw controlled the l.o.p. and the guys over there replaced it and had it back to me inside of 4 days. Great people to deal with in my opnion with a great product. l.g.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Rod---I can't speak for the counter coil system or any others for that matter but i have a Rad#2 on my Beretta 682 Gold E and i love it. It is a very easy to adjust device and does exactly what it was designed to do. Absolutely no recoil when it is adjusted correctly.---Matt

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I had one on a Beretta 687 trap combo that worked very well. In my case the only thing I did not like about it is it added weight to the but of the gun, there for changing the balance that I was used to. Other than that they are great.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

goose2 is correct. It does add a considerable amount of weight to the butt end of the gun. I personally thought it helped with the balance of my Beretta but results may vary. I've always found that added weight assists in doing away with recoil but balance is very important for the guns control and swing and too much in the wrong spot doesn't help.---Matt

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've only had experience with the lop adjustable model. It does its job very nicely, but adds considerable weight to the stock area of the gun.

One of my shootin buddies has one called a "bump buster", I believe, and it feels just as good. It doesn't seem to add the additional heft of a rad.

ss

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Ken Rucker.. Bumpbuster.. don't look back..

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have the older Rad 2 that has worked well. It does add weight to the stock but balance in a trap gun is meaningless. Weight in the front end is a matter of preference. The newer Rad 2 is lighter.

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

"balance in a trap gun is meaningless" ??????????????

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I hear the sizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzle.. I'm not touching that one..

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

That's right Rick. Trap is a pre-mounted game. Once the gun is mounted against the shoulder, balance becomes irrelevant. The weight of the front end is all that matters.

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

What I am about to say is what I noticed when I added the RAD to my 687. It may or may not pertain to everyone therefor I do not want to debate about it.
    When I added the weight of the rad to my 687 it caused the muzzle to rise more causing cheek slap I did not have without it. As stated before in my earlier post, the RAD will reduce recoil. It is not a huge notice but it will soften it a tad. With all this said, you will probably not see any kind of recoil device like the RAD on any of my guns again. For what little they help in recoil I do not think they are worth the cost of one installed, let alone hacking an inch of your stock. There is one other thing. They will not add one dime to the resale of the gun and will hurt it to most buyers.
    Good luck with your decision.

13. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Ken Rucker put a RAD on my 682 before he developed his Bumpbuster. It works well. He put a Bumpbuster on my Alfermann when I bought it from a friend of his. It works even better. I, like Mike, suggest you give Ken a call and talk to him about the Bumpbuster. A link to his website is above.

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I had a RAD 2 on my '79 BT99. Loved it.

15. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I had a gracoil on my bt-99, and a rad 2 on one of my other guns , I preferred the gracoil over the rad personally, I had the lop adjustment on both felt the gracoil was easier to use and liked the fit better than the rad, but it is personal preference as so many things are

deb

16. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It is like all of them, I have RAD and PFS,... In that, they all need to allowed to do their job. IE....Do not pull them too tight into your shoulder, and they work great.

"BE NICE"

17. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Thank you to everyone for all the replies. I am now pretty much confused as to which reducer to go with. I guess that I didn't realize how many different reducers were available. I think that the PFS is not an option, as I don't believe that they make a grip for the BT-100.

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

If I had a choice, and I do.........I'd go with the Bumbuster.

Hauxfan!

19. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

The one I have works OK but you need several different wrenches to do the adjusting. They could have made it so they were all same size,but NO that'd be too easy.Maybe the newer ones have changed.

The gracoil I had worked every bit as good and all adj screws were same size-one wrench fit all.Advantage gracoil.

My opinion............I tried the PFS, early model and newer one-no matter what I did or how it was adjusted, I got face slap. Went back to my old wood stock and no more slap.

20. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'm sure this is not what you are looking for...BUT......FWIW......I've found my scores go up if I shoot lighter loads, that are comfortable to me, without a reducer,,,,,,, than trying to shoot heavier loads with a reducer.

I shoot better with 7/8-1oz no reducer, than I do 1 1/8, with........I hate recoil.

"BE NICE"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
rad 11a recoil reducer

rad recoil reducer

rad recoil reducers

rad recoil reducers for shotguns

rad recoil reduction
rad recoil reduction system

rad recoil system

rad recoil system for sale