1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions of Devault Infinity

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Oilburner Having only seen two or three new Infinity guns and never shooting one the only thing I know for fact is Dennis Devault is a nice guy to do business with and he builds and top-notch gun .

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have owned and shot the Infinity. I had #213. The gun is built like a tank, and will last forever. I had the gun only two weeks, and broke a 99 in handicap (21 yard line) with it. When I first picked up the gun, I shot it well! As time went by, I didn't. It wasn't the gun's fault, it was me! I like a gun that is a little muzzle heavy. My Infinity was heavier in the buttstock end. I couldn't get use to the dynamics of it. The gun is super-fast in lock time and movement. The problem with me was: When I missed, I didn't know where I missed! I didn't develop a feel to the dynamics. If you purchase the gun, it is money well spent. You will have a very nice gun. Be sure to get custom fitted for it, and you will have a gun that will be breaking targets forever!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

3. mono1393

mono1393 Member

4. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

I don't know Dennis personally but I have shot both the mach one and the infinity. I have also seen a lot of his stock work and it is superb. I don't know why his guns never took off but if I was trying to market the gun in a market flooded with guns then I would try to appeal to the majority of shooters who spend less than $4,000 for trap guns. If he could possibly sell the gun in this range or build a gun for this price then he could probably corner the market.

5. tp

tp TS Member

Oilburner, you need to shoot one because it is hard to describe how different it is from other high end shotguns. I have #211 I bought from Bob Schultz of Target Shotguns. It has a Turkish Walnut upgrade. The stock was not custom built for me but feels like it was. Felt recoil is extremely mild. The fit, finish and function are what you would expect, flawless. It is built like a tank and will hold up for a lifetim; yet the design is trim, elegant and handles like a much lighter shotgun. The trigger is the equal of any trigger out there. It is the fastest to the target of any I have tried. At one time or another I have owned Brownings, Berettas, Remingtons, Perazzis, Kreighoffs (still own a K80 O/U), Silver Seitz, Mach One, and Coles. FOR ME, this is the one I decided to keep.

6. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

I would also like to know how I could build a gun with the material and quality we are doing for $4,000.00. I don't know of any other manufacturers that can say that in 16 years they have never broken a firing pin, trigger spring, or trigger. Our barrel has now survived having (5)choke tubes blown out of the end of the barrel and the barrel was untouched. I still have a choke tube in my office that hanges on my wall that shows what abuse the gun will take. Alot of folks that have visited our shop have seen this tube on the wall. The gun sales have been fine considering the overall attendance at shoots. The barrel alone cost us $ 2,000.00 to produce, the wood that we use as standard is most companies up-grade. And I do not know another company that offers fitting and a release trigger in exchange for no extra charge. When you can tell me how to stay under $ 4,000.00 I am all ears.

Dennis DeVault

7. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

Dennis,

I am sure there could be ways to cut down on some of the costs. I don't know for sure how to cut the price down on your gun by $6,000. Believe me I am not trying to disrespect you in any way, but the mach one was a good gun but the resale was very low and most gun dealers that I knew wouldn't even consider taking one in on trade because they couldn't get rid of them. I believe you are an honest business man that makes a quality gun but you also have to be realistic, if someone, including me, was going to spend $10,000 or more on a trap gun then I would probably get a krieghoff or Perazzi. Especially since they have good marketing with so many top shooters using them. Please don't take my comments the wrong way, I have talked to a lot of people about this subject and there seems to be an agreement.

8. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

John,

I don't think any of my statements were demeaning in any way I would like to see the guy sell more guns. Now you are starting with the insults which I would expect from maybe "high school kids." Maybe Dennis isn't trying to corner the market but he knows as all business men do that you need to try to target different people, because if you don't eventually the business could fizzle and die. Also, maybe he could market the gun differently, Krieghoff has been ingenious the way they have marketed the K-80 Trap Special. I think that even Dennis had mentioned a while ago to allow financing for his gun, which would indicate to me that he accepts the fact that maybe he should make the gun more readily available to people who aren't extremely weathly.

When you talk about a typical $4,000 gun you forgot to metion the KX-5, KS-5, TMX, and others.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Dbls champ raises a valid point. Resale on high-line guns is lower than it should be because the guy who can afford a $ 6,000-$10,000 trap gun isn't looking to save a couple thousand dollars buying a used gun.

Besides, when you introduce an "economy" version of a high-line gun, you damage
    the appeal of the high priced version. It doesn't seem to help the low priced version either.

Can you say: Cadillac Cimarron, Ljutic Dyna-Trap, X-73.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

But is there not one other point; I was thinking about this yesterday re. Ljutic. If one were a Leo, Bonillas, Harlan, Stafford, et. al., for whom would you shoot given a sponsorship/support? Krieghoff, Perrazi, Ljutic, or???

Do you think, for example, Mr. DeVault and Ljutic L.L.C., Bowen, Seitz etc. can compete for the top shooter as effectively as the K&P companies? I doubt it..and it is a reality. Perhaps some of the "honor" in the sport is gone; a top shooter picks his/her gun partially on the basis of the financial perks that come with the gun. Would the great Dan Orlich shoot a Ljutic in today's world? I think likely so, 'cause he was from a different era, and prior to his shootin career, I had heard he was tight with Al Ljutic. Different world. I am not suggesting that the top three or five shooters that pick a gun to shoot partially on financial considerations is less honorable, but am suggesting that financial compensation is a realistic consideration and rightfully so. Corporate receives a lot from the successes of a Bonillias or a Leo or a Campbell.

With that being said, I strongly admire and salute Ljutic, Mr. DeVault and others for building such wonderful guns despite the odds of having "crushing sales"...those builders build guns, I think, partially for honor and for helping the rest of us have a lifetime gun for "crushing targets"...

Mr. DeVault, I'd appreciate your take re. my opinion should you feel comfortable addressing my guess re. how the dollar in part, drives who shoots what.

11. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Mr Chango2,

First I take no offence to statements prior, but I will tell you if I was building this shotgun for the money I would have given up a long time ago. I do this because it is the only thing that is left in my life to conquer. I despise corporate USA and just did not want to finish my career in that world. Anyone that knows me knows that I am and will always be a very humble person. I do very little to bring attention to myself (except for the thong thing). I have sponsored shooters in the past and Harlan Campbell is the one person that rose to the top with a MachOne and the custom Perazzi that he won the world doubles title with. I built that stock for him. Harlan moved on and that is OK, but you are right in that I cannot afford to give guns away, it just doesn't work. If someday this sport is put on television and we as manufacturers have a proper place to advertise, the game as we know it now will be a distant memory. Corporate sponsership is very difficult and the days of the handshake are gone. The love of the game died with agents and greed. I want to say that as a person the greatest form of flattery is to be copied and my company has been well copied. Fred Wenig took my design for stocks in 1993 and now calls it the New All-American special, a copy of my design when the first MachOne's were built. When Fred worked for Fajen I sent him all the blue prints for our gun to build the first stocks and later when he went on his own, there were no patents, so he renamed it and now produces a copy. The latest copy is the Harlan K-80 Special stock from Wenig. The design for that stock came from myself and Joe Goldberg both of us traveled with Harlan for several years. I was the first person to have a completly free floating adjustable rib back in 1991. Now everyone offers a high rib. When I first came into this industry I was amazed at how far behind technology we really are. My goal was to build a shotgun that would equal or exceed the shooters ability, we have done that. More new items can be produced but the market will not suppport the cost of new technology. This is my final response to this subject as I see it might get a little out of hand but thank you to all that spoke up it means alot to me.

Dennis DeVault

12. J.D. Squire

J.D. Squire Member

Dennis there is another gun company that fitting and a BOTH triggers come with the price included, and there track record is nearly perfect. Of course we are talking about the Bowen single. No disrespect, you have a fine shot gun and I hope to start seeing more around!!!

J.D.

13. Timber1

Timber1 TS Member

Dennis does make a great all american gun but why bring it down by putting non american wood (probally middle eastern) on them...........:(

14. Dickgshot

J.D.Squire: Nice shooting in Nebraska. Now you can get back to school and practice your spelling,grammar,and punctuation.

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I think some of the guys on this thread are looking for the shootability in Dennis' guns at a price less than 10K. There are options:

1. Take your favorite gun and drive it to Dennis' shop and have him fit you to a new piece of wood. I've got an extra piece at his shop if you need one. He can tweak it any way you want.

2. Get a Baretta auto and have Dennis fit you to it and tune it. He has done this kind of work and the guys here rave about them.

3. Get a used Mach One and have it fitted. Dennis has some for sale, and there's one on this forum right now. Make somebody an offer. I went this way and Dennis did everything I asked and more.

Regardless, DeVault Industries far exceeds expections. These guys can do what you want/need and are great to work with. My visit there was a highlight!

Joe Kuhn

16. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I went to Dennis for his stockmaking and design, When you see his stocks, you just know that this man has shot a lot of trap and understands gunfit for our sport. I wanted that knowledge in my gunfit. I went to Ohio in March to get a stock made for my K-80 trap special and also to be fitted for my new Infinity #225. It was a great experience and I got two great stocks that put me right behind the beads every time. No anoying recoil or face slap, no canting or bending to get there, just perfect comfortable fit. Both guns are great for me now because of the fit. From now on, any gun I consider buying, I will just figure in the additional cost of a DeVault stock. Great experience and great visit. I consider Dennis a friend now and don't need to look elsewhere.
    Tom Lieb

17. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Simple question! I know you are not allowed to question the ole boys on here but here goes. You can buy top notch rifles built by the best smiths that shoot into 1/4" for $3K to 5K(they don't have Dennis's beautiful stocks though). A custom rifle barrel has to be as difficult as a shotgun barrel, a match trigger has to be as complicated as the shotgun trigger. So to me, the stock is the price point and Dennis has some of the best I have ever seen. Hats off to him and all the smiths. I have been around for many years and have seen some of the best shoot(Bonillas, Britt etc.) and I am convinced they could still beat you with a Rem 870. What a lot of people I have seen buy for is ego, and there is nothing wrong with ego but see it for what is, your choice!

18. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Dennis said, "When I first came into this industry I was amazed at how far behind technology we really are. My goal was to build a shotgun that would equal or exceed the shooters ability, we have done that."

This is the kind of engineering I like. Visit the website and read about it.

Also, Dennis is accessible. He posts here, emails from wherever and will talk to anybody on the phone. Worked out a choke problem with him just the other day.

Regards, Joe

19. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Dickgtax...there should be no comma after "grammar."

Dennis has a spirit of independence and excellence. Often both are not free.

20. Dickgshot

CharlesR1100: A comma after "grammar" is proper - though in modern usage it's more often omitted. I learned punctuation in the 40's, so I don't use this newfangled modern stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

devault infinity

devault infinity 225

devault infinity any good

devault infinity problems