1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions needed please on an SKB 85TSS Trap sotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tbone0813, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbone0813

tbone0813 TS Member

I am in the market for my first trap gun. I am currently looking at a SKB 85TSS Trap shotgun. The gun is a unsingle combo with a 32" o/u barrel and a 34" unsingle barrel. The dealer said the gun is 5-10 years old and is rating it at 98%. The price on it is $2499.

Does anyone here have experience with these guns and can tell me if this sounds like a good deal? Thanks in advance.

Tommy

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds high to me for a 5-10 year old used SKB.

Matt

3. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Does it have factory upgraded wood? Are the barrels ported and if so is this a desired option to you? Adjustable comb? Later models had factory upgrades that you can find out about from the SKB people in Iowa. I have the un-single with a release trigger and love shooting it.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I'd check around and see what they are going for and if it has the upgrades. A friend has one and loves it.

Who cares what anyone else thinks anyway, get something that fits you and if you like the gun get it if the moneys right.

5. tbone0813

tbone0813 TS Member

I'm not sure about the upgradedd wood but it does have the adjustable comb as well as an adjustable recoil pad w/ adjustable LOP. It also comes with the factory hard case and 4 factory screw in chokes. Here are some pics.

tbone0813_2009_1401.jpg

tbone0813_2009_14011.jpg

tbone0813_2009_14012.jpg

tbone0813_2009_14013.jpg

tbone0813_2009_14014.jpg

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

I have the unsingle version of this gun. No O/U barrels.

I love it and will be shooting it for years to come. I think the price on this one is a little high. I'd buy it for $1900...

cap

7. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I am 100% with capvan. If its 10 years old, doesn't have uprgraded wood or porting, $1900 max. I have the same gun and have had great luck with that gun. If it fits you and you can get it down to the right price range and you like it, buy it. Look around at gunbroker.com and other sites to get an idea on the value. Neil

8. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

They are great shooting reliable guns. SKB's customer service is second to none.

Mark-in-Maine

9. tbone0813

tbone0813 TS Member

Everything I am finding on these are around the same price. Actually the unsingle combos are showing up closer to $3000. Granted they are newer but it seems that his price isn't too far off. I did email him an offer so we'll see.

10. mxrider458

mxrider458 Member

I had bought a used 85TSS combo from Cabela's a few months ago(5 years old). It did come with a 30 day warranty, and glad it did. I broke an ejector. I think it may had been cracked at the bend where the forearm connects. It still shot, but just didnt eject sheels. I took it back to Cabela's and it was fixed for free, and they actually repaired the broken ejector and sent it along back for an extra(done at Guns Inc.). In the mean time while waiting to get it back, I bought a CG Summit trap combo from Hi Grade Shooters. I've been shooting that one ever since, and took the SKB back to Cabela's and they bought it back off of me. Left it go for $1600. I didn't lose much, so the price you have may be just a little high. I've seen new ones advertised for under $3K. It was a great shooting gun. I just didn't see the need for 2 combo sets. If I get another one, it will be an XT trap O/U like I used to have. If you can shoot it, do it to see how the gun fits you and if your comfortable with it.

11. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I saw an 85TSS combo 32/34 at Cabelas in Omaha, Ne, about three months ago for I believe it was, $1900. I actually thought about buying it as a back up gun as it was exactly like mine except that it didn't have upgraded wood or porting. I went in a couple weeks later and it was gone. When I purchased mine new about four years ago, the price was $3600. You could go to Guns Unlimited in Omaha, Nebraska, Monday, and buy a brand new SKB 85TSS with 32" O/U barrels and regular wood on sale for $1579. They may also have a new or used combo. Call them and ask for Tom Crosbie. Neil Swenson

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I'm selling for a friend of mine a SKB 85TSS Unsingle 34" with release trigger.
    Gun is 98%+. Beauiful gun. He's a collector and shot one round (35 shots)thru it and is reselling it. $2,200. Maybe $100.00 wiggle room. Auction #208477917 Dave T.

13. twotimer

twotimer Member

I have the same gun, and would agree with most everyone so far. It is a great shooting gun, but I thing $1900.00 would be full retail. Mike

14. tbone0813

tbone0813 TS Member

So I ended up finding an SKB 85TSS unsingle combo from Guns Unlimited for $1995. It is a 2006 model and has had all the factory upgrades. I picked it up Friday evening from my FFL and was shocked at how good the condition was. No scratches on the barrels. Bluing was perfect. Wood was probably 99%. I am taking it Saturday to have it fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
skb 85 tss
skb 85tss

skb 85tss review

skb 85tss unsingle combo

skb 85tss unsingle trap gun
skb 85tss unsingle trap gun reviews
skb85tss
sotgun plant