1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions needed on 45

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bubby, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubby

Bubby TS Member

I am going to buy a 45 cal handgun. Which one should I buy? I decided not to buy a glock. I want to spend around $1000.oo. Should I buy Springfield, Colt, Kimber or Para Ordance?? I will use it in my boat from time to time around salt water, want one that will take these conditions. Thank you for your replies.

Bubby

2. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I'm partial to my 45 Colt (1911). It's ported which really does help- (compared to long guns). I also have a Glock but I like the Colt. I've forgotten what they call the target Colt 45's but they are awfully nice.

john

3. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

If you don't get as many opinions as you'd hoped for, you can do a "search" & get hundreds of answers posted in the last year. This is because this question comes up at least 3 or 4 times a year, and maybe some people won't feel like taking the time to re-post their same answer. I don't prefer Glocks, maybe for your same reasons (although I have a G34 for action shooting,) but around salt water, I'd consider a G21? Good luck. Phil E

4. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

You can't go too wrong with any of the K range 1911s. Springfield, Kimber, S&W, Colt, all are okay guns. The XD is a really good feeling 45, but I don't like the Para Ordnance LDA. There's an awfully fragile piece of linkage in there that I would hate to stake my life on.

If weight is a factor, try to find a used Lightweight Commander or Officer's Model Colt. If you want a DA, S&W 4566 is a good choice, but kinda heavy.

Like stated though. If you spend a grand, you'll get a good gun.

5. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Kimber High Capacity Ten II or Para Ordnance P-14-45. I like the original trigger pull on the Kimber better than the Para but a new trigger set for 3.5-5 lbs can be put into the Para very easily. Soon high capacity magazines may be hard to come by so purchase now. Michael

6. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I've owned Baers, Colts, Glocks, Kimbers, Springfields, and Wilson Combat...............For the money you want to spend go with the Kimber in stainless steel, you won't be sorry. If money isn't an object ............ go with the Les Baer.

hubcap

7. Chevy_Guy1977

Chevy_Guy1977 TS Member

I highly reccommend Dan Wesson 1911's. They are the best production 1911's money can buy and are under your $1000 cap. They blow Kimber and Springfield out of the water. Yea, Kimber and Springfield make a decent gun, except Springfield's made in Brazil, and both of them are chock-full of Metal-Injection-Molded (MIM) parts. For some of you, that makes no difference. For me it does.

Dan wesson is 100% American Made. DW uses 0 MIM parts on the current models. All of the small parts are name-brand top-shelf aftermarket parts. Ed brown makes the slide stop and grip safety. On the bobtailed model Ed Brown also makes the mainspring housing. The thumb safety is an STI. All the springs are made by Wolff. On the Pointman model, you get bo-mar style adj sights. On the bobtail you 3-Dot Trigicon Novaks.

As if that isn't enough, the Dan Wessons are a series-70 design. No firing pin safety to go awry on you. Just the original design. There is no internal lock as on the Springfield. The fire control system is just as JMB intended.

Chevy

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Glock if you going to use it in cases where your life depends on it, take any of the others if you want a wall hanger or conversation piece ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Bridger

Bridger Member

I also have owned Baer. Wilson and Kimber. I liked the Kimber the best. If your choice is a polymer frame, take a serious look at the Springfield XD.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Kimber,like I shoot, but don't overlook the Springfield XD. A real hot item right now!!

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bubby I have sent the website address above for Clark Custom Guns. They may be a bit pricey but it is good to be able to look, Fun too. I feel that no matter what .45 you look at you will never find a better shooting .45 than a Clark. Bar none, also if you are just into fire power it really doesn't matter. If however you are into accuracy stay with a single action, double actions suck. Just my opinion

Bob Lawless

12. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

I like this one...

Compact CDP II

[​IMG]

Or if you want to be able to shoot all day without reloading, one of these...

XD .45 ACP

[​IMG]

cls

13. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

If you are looking for a 1911 style .45 ACP don’t pass up looking at a Dan Wesson Pointman 7 made by CZ. I feel it is a great value compared to some of the other 1911.
    Out of the box it had a crisp 3.5 trigger pull, match barrel, adjustable sights, two magazines, stainless steel with polished flats. To top that off with 185 grain SWC over 3.9 grains of Bullseye it will shoot 2” or better all day at 25 yards.

I have a Kimber Target Model and love, but for the money in my opinion the Wesson is a better value. Made in the USA.

Ron

14. straw dog

straw dog TS Member

To JoeE would like to talk to whoever has the Clark 45. Randy

15. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

I have an SW1911, and I would certainly recommend one of those, but for your intended use, I'd probably opt for the Springfield XD45 mentioned earlier.

16. jwells

jwells Member

buy two glocks for 1000 dollars. when you go over board and loose it your have another on deck. and if you ever find the wet one it will still work.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Lots of opinions here, Kimber for quality, DWA if you can find one, and Taurus makes a decent one that won't put you in the poorhouse.

HM

18. Wayne In ny

Wayne In ny TS Member

Real guns are made out of steel and have a cylinder.

19. Bubby

Bubby TS Member

Thanks everyone. I went with the one that felt best in my hand. I bought the Kimber, with lazer sights in the grip. I don't know if I will take it in my boat. I think I might buy a glock for that. Never shot it yet, butit sure is put together.

Bubby

20. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

For a boat gun, you might also look at the Kimber KPD. It's a narrow DAO 12+1 .40 S&W, 4", 25-oz polymer. I've not (yet) shot one, but I like it. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.