1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opinions from clay dot powder users

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superump, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superump

superump TS Member

Has anybody loaded or does anybody else use Clay Dot from Alliant? Can you also use it in a 1oz. load and 1 1/8 oz loads? Checked the price and any little bit helps in this day and age. I have loaded with 700X for 30 years and hate to change but Clay Dot is a signifigant savings and alliant has been around for years. Thanks for your opinions. Found it at Connies Components for $89.99 ea for an 8 lb. keg if you buy two. Any pros and cons welcome, thanks in advance.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Has anybody loaded or does anybody else use Clay Dot from Alliant? "

Nope nobody. Seriously dude. Its a Trap Shooting forum. Of course somebody here has used it. Its a very popular powder.

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I think it is terrific. I am a 700X user, but find that the bit of extra volume that Clay Dot takes up is better for my crimp. 700X is just too efficient, and takes up a lot less space. Was not an issue with CB wads, but has been with DR wads.

I had previously used 1 jug of Clays, and find Clay Dot to be basically the same, but less expensive. Meters extremely well and consistent.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

48, 8# jugs... that ought to tell you what I think of it!

It has limitations; you just have to work with them.

MK

5. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

All I use for singles. Working thru I think, my 18th jug now.

Rem Hull, 1 oz., 18.0-18.2 Claydot, DRXL-1 Wad, Win or Nobelsport Primer

Results = AWESOME

I use it for all practice yardages and for registered singles. Prefer 1 1/8 Nitro's or reload clones for handicap.

6. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

It's all I have used in my 1oz reloads for 16's for the past 2yrs. Good stuff.

Rich in indiana

7. djcuda

djcuda Member

Clay Dot is an awesome powder.I have used 16 jugs.Check Alliants loaders manual and you will find a great load that works for you.
    Dave

8. superump

superump TS Member

Hey grntitan - seriously dude I know what the forum is and thats why I asked. Seriously dude I have shot trap for 30 years and been a member of this forum for 6 years or so and I have never heard of this powder till a thread two days ago, but seriously dude thanks for your help in clarifying everything. Sounds like a good powder for 1 oz. loads but what about 1 1/8 oz. By the comments I don't think I will be sorry but I shoot a lot of 1 1/8 oz also. Thanks

9. razor

razor TS Member

i have used claydot for 16's and doubles since it was on the store shelves and i love it. low charge weights, less expensive & meters well. i use the same load as MARK425 from above except i only use 16.5 grains and i am still near 1200fps some people have posted on here and on other threads that they use between 17.5 & 18.5 grains also the book leans towards the high side. if i load 17.5 or so i get a lot of recoil. i have never loaded above 17.0 grains even with 1 1/8 loads near 1200 fps. does any one like to comment on this or has any one else used the lower charge weights. thanks razor

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

**Chuckle**

11. canyonman

canyonman Member

I too have found that less gives good speed. When I first began using ClayDot it was for 1 oz loads and 16.2, TGT12 wad, and STS hull yielded 1180 to 1200 fps. Now I load 16.5 for 1 1/8 oz loads and Fig 8 Rem wads and still get about 1180 to 1200 fps. When I tried to load the recommended amount of powder the shells were too fast on my chrono so I backed off on the powder. This is a good thing as it means more shells per pound, but I can't explain the disparity between the recommended powder charge and what I have settled for. YMMV Bill

12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Hummmm...interesting. I may back off a bit on my powder for a few boxes and see how it works out.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Clay Dot is an excellent powder for 1 oz loads and 1 1/8 oz loads.

Pat Ireland

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've used Clay Dot for 7/8oz through light 1 1/8oz loads. It seems to develop higher pressures than I would desire in heavier 1 1/8oz loads. The exception might be some straight tube hulls. Promo seems to do about as well for most of the same loads, so I tend to use more of it. The loads I've used with Clay Dot were just fine. As long as you don't push the pressure/velocity limits, it's a great choice.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm not a ClayDot user.

But it must be a great powder, because it was developed to copy the performance and characteristics of a really great powder, Hodgdon Clays.

16. EEB

EEB Member

Quack Shot - At what velocity do you load your 7/8 oz. loads? I have been a dedicated American Select user and am about to try my first batch of Clay Dot. Am Select burns cleaner at 1,200> fps and I was wondering if Clay Dot acted the same? Thanks

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"I'm not a ClayDot user."</i></Blockquote>I don't think that bothers the Alliant people.<blockquote><I>"But it must be a great powder, because it was developed to copy the performance and characteristics..."</I></blockquote>Maybe... but at least Alliant has the decency to make their product in the US and the good sense not to "copy" the other's price!!

MK

18. razor

razor TS Member

canyon man your loads are just like mine as far as speed & grains i think i will stay with what i got. razor

19. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I found it noticeably smoother shooting than Red Dot/Promo, not quite as tight patterning, but with slightly improved uniformity -- as you would expect from a slightly more open pattern. It's clean burning in the barrel, but you get the usual Alliant powder's graphite deposits on your hands when shooting it.

I liked using it because of the smooth recoil, but note that Promo has about the same bulk and is decidedly cheaper.

- - Bill

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Wow Unknown1, what an uneducated reply.

I happen to personally know the Hodgdon family. Hodgdon is an American family-owned business. Bob Hodgdon served on the BOD of the NRA. That not "American" enough for you?

Incidentally, for your information...Hodgdon approached an American company in an effort to have some of their powder products, including Clays, made in the USA. The American company declined. I bet you'd recognize their name.

Incidentally, many Hodgdon products are made in the USA. Just not the Clays series of powders.

Did you know that Alliant makes 700x for Hodgdon?

And did you know that Alliant's Reloder series extruded rifle powders are NOT made in the USA?

Is your gun made in the USA?

Nobody is asking you to buy Hodgdon products. But claiming they're somehow un-American because some of their powders are made outside the USA is absurd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

opinions on clatdot powder