1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions, advice ?.....391 Urika.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by over the hill, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

After much debating my 16yr. son decided on a 391 Beretta.

We started out wanting an 1100, then a Super X1, Super X2, and finally settled with a Beretta.

We got one that on disassembly appears to have been shot very little. The stock has been shortened and has a negative pitch. We will have to spacer and install a new pad.

Any other things to look for or beware of on these guns? I havent warmed up to the plastic, oops, Composite trigger housing yet but its not a Lujtic so it will do for the present.

Any comments, advice, good or bad, will be appreciated.

Regards Gerald

2. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

391 was my first trap gun, and I still have it in the safe. My advice:

They can be time consuming to clean, so shoot the cleanest burning powder you can afford. When I shot STS or AA with it, it lasted longer between cleanings. Rios and Estates gummed it up quicker.

Trigger mechanism can be really hard to get out the first time. Hope that someone already has done you the favor of getting it out once.

The little tangs on the OEM gas piston have been known to break off, but not in epidemic proportions. Take a look at yours for its condition. Angle Port makes a replacement piston that people seem to think is more sturdy.

Take care in sliding the forend onto the reciever. The small rim of wood that keeps it in place is rather thin. I never had a problem, but some folks have snapped off bits of that rim.

Many shooters I know that have them felt they were whippy and added aftermarket weights that replace the forend nut.

I think its a great gun - I just got the bug for a breakopen gun, otherwise I'd still be shooting it. Good luck.

Larry

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Is yours an Optima? The older 391s were .727 barrels while the new Optimas have a slight overbore. The choke tubes for the two WILL NOT interchange. Check to see if you have the slotted gas piston. If not it might be a good idea to get the upgraded slotted one. As posted above, getting the trigger assy. out and back in can be a tad tricky. Also be careful to make sure the forearm is setted all the way before firing the gun. Failure to do so can crack the bottom edge. For shooting doubles they can really fling the hulls a great disdance. Some gun smiths install a deflection pin to help this. "Tron" who post on here has invented his own and shooters who have used his tell me his is very good. The factory makes a "stick on" deflector, but i wouldn't buy it. It won't stay on the gun. I'm told Mr. Hunting( a gun smith at the Silver dollar) can install a deflector in the barrel lug. The 391 is a very good gun. The shim system is handy to adjust point of inpact.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Several shooter at my club have them.....shooting TLS out of them. No bad words yet. Forend nut can become jamed up....

5. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

One of my athletes uses one. It's a good shooter, but I've always wondered why for the price Beretta doesn't offer better wood on the autos. The Remington trap guns are cheaper and the wood is glossy and nice. I like shooting against these guns in registered--the classic showdown: 1100 trap vs. 391 trap. USA vs. Italy

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I own one and love it. Tron has tricked it out and it shoots where I look.

New bolt closer Tron installed. <a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Guns/?action=view&current=BoltCloser.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Shell deflector on my sons 390 by Tron.My 391 has the same deflector. <a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Guns/?action=view&current=Beretta010Small.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

You can add an adjustable pad and cut the comb to make the gun fit you as well.

Jerbear

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It's the best auto ever made, but most people on this site wont recognize that fact until it goes out of production, then they'll all HAVE to have one.

It's how Trap shooters think.

Tron

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I have to agree with Tron, I think the 391 is one, if not the best auotloader ever. Once you get the hang of 'em, you realize they are not tough to maintain or clean. Comparing my 391 to my Super X2 Light and my 1100 Sporting 28, the 391 a better gun than either, hands down.

~Michael

9. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

can't go wrong with a 391. soft shooters. the first one i had was a little whippy as stated above so i added a stock weight and a weighted endcap,problem solved. i traded that gun for an ncp391 which i still shoot and love.jackmitch

10. ismah

ismah Member

I'm basically lazy. I don't like to spend a lot of time cleaning a shotgun. I got rid of my 391 for that very reason. It shot alright but my new 1100 shoots better, looks better and cleans up in half the time.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I must be doing something wrong in cleaning my 391. The chore doesn't take any longer than with my 1100 or 1187 other than you only need to do it about 1/2 as often. Help me out here, what exactly is so difficult about cleaning the 391, what am I missing?

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Many thanks for all of your positive responses. We spent about 3 hours cleaning the gun after purchase. The biggest time consumer was the barrel. There was a lot of hard packed carbon at the bottom of the ring. I formed a scraper out of brass and loosened it quickly.

I agree with Wolfram . It shouldnt take long to clean under normal shooting. I dont think it was ever cleaned properly.

Regards Gerald

13. piranha2

piranha2 TS Member

391 is the best - 3 hrs, however is ridiculous. 30 min., you should have it in as new condition. Might take a little practice. I do one in 30 min., 2 in 40 min. They are not that hard, and they are the best auto in town. Enjoy.

14. IM390

IM390 Member

I don't know where you 1100 and 1187 people are coming from, but go back. I help a newbie clean an 1187 and it takes about an hour and a half, compared to my 391 Urika which I can clean up in about 30 minutes.

15. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I've cleaned both and shot an 1100 for over 30 YEARS and an 1100 is far faster to clean! I can have one field stripped in less than one minute, but that being said, you can shoot a 391 for HUNDREDS of rounds WITHOUT cleaning it. Also the 391 is far more reliable and will not break nearly AS OFTEN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trigger har to get out on berreta urika