1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions: 20 gauge loads for pigeons

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

no, I am not talking about box birds/flyers.....this is for a pigeon tower shoot that I plan on attending next month. So far, it's a 1000 bird release (if they get more people signed up by the time of the shoot, they will up it to 2000 pigeons).

So I plan in bringing my 20 gauge. 33" barrels, fixed tight at .020 and .032, gun weight is around 8 lbs.

What would you recommend for pigeons? 1oz or stick with the normal 7/8oz? Nickel plated or just go with a shell that has decent % antimony?

2. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

1oz 7.5s

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

use #6 shot, much more effective.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

For that kind of shoot, I'd pony up for some Heavi-Shot shells in 7.5's.

ss

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Listen to EuroJoe 1oz #6s will knock down any pigeon within reasonable range. Ross Puls

6. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

But Joe, I thought 6s was cheatin.....

rk

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I would just shoot AA Sporting loads with 7 1/2 (1300fps). If there is any money in this shoot, forget the 20ga. Use your 12ga sporter with classic flyer loads (3 1/4 X 1 1/4 X 7 1/2) and IM&F.

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

he's talking about a tower shoot,simulating a driven bird shoot. We hunted feral pigeons for years with 7.5 shot, 7 when we could get it. The #6 worked so much better there was no comparison.

9. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Where is this and how to I get in on it????

I would 1oz of 6s, but wouldn't spring for tops shelf stuff. A garden variety 'game' load should be fine, especially if you're choking it way down.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I shot a 20 gauge tower shoot a few years ago. The #6 shot makes a substantial difference if the birds are over 35 yards. I loaded a 1oz Bluedot load with AA 1oz wads and AA hulls at 1220 fps.

11. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

I've got 10 boxes of 3 in 7 1/2's and 3 boxes of copper plated 6's. $10 per box plus the ride. The 3in shells are 1 1/4 oz. That'll do the trick. JW

12. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Im sure you have, but what was your percentage? Much better off with more gun. But, to each his own.

13. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Federal Prairie Storm 1oz 6shot would be my choice.

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'd Recommend B&P F2 ammo. Fast, 15/16oz load of hard nickel plated #7 shot. Perfect for pigeons (and early season pheasants over dogs).

15. neckdeep

neckdeep Member

we had a european style pigeon shoot a few years back, tried to have one this year but the dead beat pigeon guy decided to not bring us any birds at the last minute

shoot a 12 ga if you have one that you like, it will probally kick less than the 1 oz 20's, B&P makes a nice 1 1/4 pigeon load in # 7 that does a great job ( works good on hand thrown and box birds also)

how does one get an invite to this little party?

i re-read your post, you must have a 20 that you like, never tried the 15/16 b&p but all of their other shells have been good for me, if they will let you shoot 6's i would do that also, plated would be good,some of the best box bird shells i have shot were copper plated federal handicap loads, 1 1/8, pigeon's are tough, especially if you are in a northern location and they have winter feathers

16. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

neckdeep: sent you a pm

I will bring my 12 gauge semi as well.....just ordered a flat of B&P MP Classic 1 1/8 oz in #5 shot

17. gtrjames

gtrjames TS Member

[​IMG]

I shoot them a couple times a year at a friends dairy barns, (I switch between a 12 and a 20) and it can get crazy...big flocks of fat grain fed birds.. I've found the 6s seem to be the way to go...more of them just hit the ground stone dead.
    I like the AA super handicap 7 1/2 load too.... I've shot them with the same AA load in #8s and it just looks like you shot a feather pillow...too many of them shot with 8s hit the ground and just start walking away....8s will work if you are really close, but overall they leave a lot to chance.
    The last time I went I shot the Remington Shur Shot Heavy dove load in #6 and they were just right...I killed several at 40 plus yds stone dead....it's hard to do that consistently with 7 1/2s.
    The dog gets a good workout too...

18. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

A picture is worth a 1000 words 6's are the ticket I would get some different brands and shoot a few patterns then go with the results.

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have the opportunity to shoot pigeons at several local dairy farms. They are sometimes hard to hit as the are very quick but I use a 20 ga 3" with 6 shot and have very good luck

20. gtrjames

gtrjames TS Member

I shot again Saturday morning...14 boxes of shells thru the 20 ga 391...mostly Remington Game loads #6, since that's about all Bass Pro had... I also picked up their last 4 boxes of AA Super Handicap in 7 1/2...
    It seemed the extra speed of the AA made up for shot size difference...These dairy pigeons are as big as a wood duck, and have more feathers... Ideally the AA load with #6s would be close to perfect for a 20 ga pigeon load....A 20 ga pheasant load is just about right...a 3 in 20 ga loaded with #5 would be a pigeon killer for sure, but with that payload, you might as well shoot a 12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.