1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion-Wider Angle Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oleolliedawg, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

After leaving that 2-3-4 and 5-hole shoot in Reading PA yesterday a few observations could be made.

Good shooters have no real problem breaking excellent scores on even the widest angling targets. Poor shooters miss them in any hole setting.

A Handicap event with similar target settings should be problemetic for long yardage shooters. Might be worth a try.

The difference between 2 and 3 hole settings is negligible at best and had little scoring difference for most shooters. Some shooters, myself included, actually shot better on the 4 and 5-hole targets.

Of course, I don't have all the data in front of me right now and these are only personal observations but some possible conclusions can be drawn from this with some real numbers I'm hoping Jeff will provide!!

2. missed some

missed some TS Member

I bet the best shooters still win!! haha

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Of course the best will still be the best!!! But there is always the chance that "c" & "b" class shooters might improve ??? It is just like handicaps, the "c" & "b" class shooters for the most part don't like to practice them but I belive that caps are the best practice for "16's"...

If you really want to succeed it requires HARD WORK ....

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I guess what I'm really saying is the best shooters will break any Singles target regardless of hole setting. They are relatively unaffected by wider angles. Poor shooters cannot break them in any hole.

The jury remains out on what effect they'll have on long yardage handicap scores!!

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Caps will have the same results, the best will still be the best. What I am trying to convey is that although it may not change the results ie scores of the top shooters, it may well IMPROVE the results of the lower class shooters.I still think that opening up the angles would be a benifit to the lower class shooters...if they are willing to work at it and not just throw lead.

6. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Caps will have the same results, the best will still be the best. What I am trying to convey is that although it may not change the results ie scores of the top shooters, it may well IMPROVE the results of the lower class shooters.I still think that opening up the angles would be a benifit to the lower class shooters...if they are willing to work at it and not just throw lead.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We use the 4 hole targets a lot with our wobble trap. The seasoned game and ATA shooters cry but they break the hard rights and lefts. What I notice most though is the sporting clay shooters whom normally cannot compete in the games seem to do well on the angles and up & down flights of the wobble birds and have a better chance of winning. What is a lot of fun is using the 4 or even 5 hole and cranking the flight speed to about 65 mph. Now we just seperated the men from the boys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.