1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion Wanted re. Skeet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Shot a round of skeet today; second round in 15 years. Trapgun at the trapgun "hospital" for a routine service and adjustment. Had fun. An avid trapshooter friend of mine says to stay away from it 'cause if one is serious re. trap, don't shoot skeet and change motor memory etc. I shoot trap with a release, but have no problem goofing off at other games with a pull and shoot a pull in doubles..

Opinions welcomed. Opinions based on personal experiences double welcomed. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

David

2. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Please don't ever say the s-word again. Thank you.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The more you shoot the better you get. Especially if you can shoot with good shooters. HMB

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I used to have trouble with hard rights till I started skeet years ago. Never another problem. The High 4 lead is about 2x the right angle, so trap angles became much easier.

If skeet messes you up for trap that don't say much for your mentality.(my girl friends never liked a one trick pony either)

HM

5. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Skeet is fun but I will never admit it to anyone. Shoot what you want as often as you want.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I believe that skeet shooters will do better when switching to trap as they are accustomed to different angles that require faster response on most stations. I know some serious trap shooters than absolutely won't shoot skeet and some serious skeet shooters that won't shoot trap. I personally have found that trap at the 16 is an easier game but is still lots of fun but i will shoot any game at every opportunity. I also believe that if you practice shooting doubles on skeet stations 3, 4 and 5 your trap scores will improve. I like to be the best at anything I do(my wife hates my attitude as I hate to lose) and have a hard time believing that shooting of any kind can hurt. But, then again I don't make a living shooting.(yet) LOL Jackie B.

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Second the comments by Jackie B., halfmile, & PerazziBigBore above! Learning to move the gun helps a bunch for hard lefts and rights on the trap field. Follow the target line with your forward knee (which should be slightly bent) - this helps to pivot from the waist and not "arm shoot". Best Regards, Ed

8. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

The big danger is that you will get so you like it better than trap.

If that happens, get ready to buy about 4 more O/U shotguns and 3 more progresswive loaders......I know, it happened to me....:0)

9. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Last year, I started back into trap after a 40-year layoff. In between, during the late '70's and early '80's, I shot a lot of skeet; but I gave that up also.

When I retired, I decided to start shooting skeet again, and shot a lot of targets for about three months. Then the shotgun chairman at our club invited me to shoot some trap. I managed a 22 the first time out. I really believe that skeet shooting helped me when I started shooting trap again. I still shoot in the 22-23 range in trap, and I've improved my skeet to the same range. I know a part of it is shooting more than once a week (2-3 times now), but skeet helps me move the gun a bit better.

I don't have an answer, but I usually shoot skeet better when I've first shot a couple of lines of trap, but not the reverse.

Anyway, every day on the trap and/or skeet fields is a great day! Better than any at the office.

Best,
    Dennis

10. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I have been informed by some pretty knowledgable persons that the hardest part of shooting skeet is picking the correct color of TuTu. I really don't know for sure. Have a Merry Christmas. Post-2

11. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Well, I have never hidden the fact that I'm one of the dreaded tutu wearing, fanny patting, skeet shooters LOL

Me....I like sporting clays in the off season. One, I don't have alot of ego vested in how well I shoot SC unlike with skeet. So it helps me to remember I that shooting is fun, something easy to forget in the middle of a tournament season.

Two, it does for me what appartently skeet shooting has done for some trap shooters posting above, it helps me with gun movement (keeps me loose and easy moving) and helps with good eye focus when the same old (skeet) just gets to be too same old.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Dennis, guilty as charged on the reloaders but I only take one gun with me everywhere I go as I have a tube set for skeet and can also use the same gun for trap. My scores are about the same as yours also but I don't get to shoot but once a week this time of year. Shoot well and often. Jackie B.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

chango, skeet clearly improves my shooting trap. When my previous skeet venue had to close to make the city happy, I went 3 years with no routine skeet and found it more difficult to score well in trap. With skeet back in my reach, I can see improvements in as little as 4 or 5 months. Don't hesitate to have fun at the "other" venues and still shoot good trap.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks for the info; come to think of it, I'd only shot two rounds of skeet this past month after not shooting it for 15 years. I cheated and used my 12 gauge 303 Beretta and got a 21 and today a 23. I felt trap might have helped the skeet...but I shoot trap with a release trigger and skeet with a pull. Oh, the other cheating? The skeet shooters (that I asked) told me where to hold the muzzle and where to look for the bird. If I were to try it alone, I would be hard pressed to break an 18-20. It was fun, but I miss hammering a trap target and the pace of a 100 bird trap race. Part of the fun was shooting right at the bird rather than floating it.

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too say have fun with all three shooting sports. They are all fun and will help you to become a much more rounded shooter all around. Life is too short not to have fun as well. So shoot what makes you the happiest at any given time. Break-em all. Jeff

16. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I don't know about skeet hurting trap performance. Shooting trap does not hurt my skeet scores. When I shoot trap I use my clays gun. I mostly shoot a Remington 1100 Sporting .410 for skeet. I shoot it better than my Browning 525 Sporting .410. I shoot a lot of clays with the .410 too.

Jim Skeel

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I actually believe the more times you make a gun go bang, regardless of the venue/game/sport, the better shot you will become. Sporting really makes you concentrate on bird behavior and patience with what looks simple.....Bob Dodd

18. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

A lot of rifle shooters in trap, crash in skeet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.