1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OPINION WANTED PLEASE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chango2, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi, I purchased a new trapgun of reputed high quality. Its trigger is much heavier than advertised, and I took the gun to the dealer. The dealer cleaned the trigger, but this did not cure the problem. I had to send the gun back to the distributer to be fixed under warranty. What bothers me is that the shipping will cost me a total of $54.00 via Fed Ex including insurance. I feel a bit miffed about this; that cost is on my dime. Is it not up to the dealer to perform a "PDI" on any gun sold (predelivery inspection), particularly on an expensive target grade gun? If guns don't meet spec., I believe the dealer would have more input and influence when sending back a gun to the distributer or factory. Secondly, in a "fair" world, which it is not, should not the distributer pick up the tab for shipping? Were this a promised service, I am sure fewer guns, if any, would be put into shooters' hands out of specification. I do not feel it is the responsibility of the customer to take the time and subsdize product assembly and adjustment...imagine if one had to ship his or her Nissan back to the assembly plant due to a warranty issue? I believe it would not be to Japan, but still..

Thanks for indulging me this rant.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Personally, I would not be as concerned with the shipping costs as I would be with the time it may take you to get the gun back. On other threads, some have complained about one factory having a 2-5 month turn around time on warranty work.

Pat Ireland

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

what is the companies advertise trigger pull, and did the dealer or person purchased from check it. Most if not all manufactures make the consumer pay for shipping. You best bet is to write/call/email the manufacture voice your disappointment with the final product. Maybe you can shame them into picking up the tab.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

You say New if that is the case it should be taken care of at NO charge to you . What brand gun is this ?

ALF

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Why is it 54.00$ Almost every gun I see on gun broker guns america runs about 25.00?????

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shipping has been more like 40 or so the last time I did it, and insurance on a high dollar gun makes up the rest.

HM

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The last Trap gun I sent out was $97.50 .

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks all. I really don't want to name the gun 'cause my dealer reads this and he is a good guy. The distributer asked that I send the entire gun. I asked first. The distributer also said that gun would be in their shop and back to me within a week after receiving it. The $54.00 was for shipping and $6500.0 insurance from FED EX. UPS waned a whole lot more..

I'll name gun, I THINK, when I have closure on this. But thanks for helping with ideas.

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

P.S. I guess gun dealers ought to look a little stronger at "PDI" for all guns they sell; it's a tough market, and a gun that does all that's advertised (re. things that can be objectively measured) is usually a joy for a long time. Is it not important that our sport and those involved do as much as possible to make the whole picture, from equipment to shooting as productive and rewarding experience as possible? Yup, MIA, I guess I may snivel too much, but I'm an obcessive sort!! (My words, "snivel"...admittedly..)

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Anyone that has a problem with a gun I sell gets it shipped back free of charge. I have yet to charge anyone for that service and it helps toward repeat buyers. I might add though that the highest end gun I sell is $2500.00 and I don't buy additional insurance. That kind of service helps as I have sold a little over 900 guns this year in a little town of 2500 people. Jackie B.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

priority mail with insurance is about $40 - 45 if it is boexed well against damage

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As one who repairs firearms, I would ask this.

If a dealer who generally inventories or transfers the firearm does repair on it, who will be liable if the dealer is not an authorized warranty station?

If an unauthorized person alters your firearm and you have an accidental discharge (gun fires WITHOUT pulling the trigger) who will bear liability?

If that unauthorized person fiddles with the gun and makes it worse, who should pay for the repair?

The auto dealership where you take your auto for warranty service IS an authorized repair station.

What type of gun? Your dealer did not design, or make the gun. He merely received it in routine commerce and transferred it to you. He is out of the repair loop on this.

When you buy a "new" gun, you do not want it to have been racked, disassembled, and maybe test fired.

What was your gripe again?

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Let me get this straight... the gun is insured for $6500.00 and you are b1tching about $54.00 for shipping, to repair something that may or may not be wrong with your unknown named gun?

Stop beating aroung the bush... What kind of gun and what trigger pull is it suposed to have and what trigger pull is it?

You asked for our opinion and we are trying to give it.

Jerbear

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

CAVEAT EMPTOR! Why did you buy it with a bad trigger? This is absurd.

I'm sorry but once you take delivery you assume the responsibility to return the item for service. Did you pay shipping both ways? If you did I would agree with you.

If the manufactuer fixed the problem and returned it to you free of charge they fufilled their obligation.

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Trigger failed after a couple of rounds of trap. Was ok at first. I guess prediction of the longevity of the product falls on the consumer. And we wonder why Toyota, Honda, et. al. are beating the world in consumer satisfaction..."Let's see, the warranty only covers you until the first failure...then you pay part of the costs despite an unconditional warranty"...this has been the American way of doing business for a long time and I believe that such an attitude has in part caused this wonderful country to lose its competitive edge.

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Gun has lots of advertising in enthuiast magazines stating that it has a very reliable 3.25 lb. crisp trigger. I'm being a bit of an obstinate sort on this point 'cause I am all for TOTAL truth in advertising and backing of a product as per, for example, Dillon Precision. I do feel I purchased a fine product from a reputable company. "Even Betty Crocker burns cakes sometimes"...however, I do think consumers are advised to speak up when not all specs of a product are met. This makes products become better and better in a competitive market. This problem, IMO, could have been prevented via better quality control (mfg. or distributer PDI and final inspection) BEFORE the gun was shipped to the retailer.

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The gun, I can say now, is a Blaser F3 unsingle trap. Blaser called me. Blaser saw the problem as an inconsistent trigger pull due to some older style parts in the gun. Blaser R&R'd those. Blaser claims to have fixed the problem and the pull will, according to Blaser, be a consistent 3.1 lbs. Blaser is also sending me, gratis and on good will, a choke tube that was not delivered with the gun. Gun came with two choke tubes, should have been three.

So far, kudos to Blaser. The proof will be in the gun's behaving as advertised after some shooting. So far, "all good"...I didn't want to name the gun until I knew more about the (probable) outcome with the distributer.

They will pay the freight back, I am out of freight to there. I guess that's standard. I see there point, but I also "feel" my point...

Regards,

David

18. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Good for them, David, and good for you. Infant mortality is something we all deal with, from time to time; even with the very best of anything you can buy. It sounds as if Blazer has treated you fairly, and took the time to give you a call to explain what the problem was and how they remedied it. It's good to learn that Blazer is standing behind their product, and it will be noted, when discussing future trap gun purchases with colleagues.

Just a thought on your having to pay freight on your end; it appears to be standard practice, industry wide, and to me, seems fair.

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy the new gun, and have many years of pleasurable shooting with it. Break 'em all ......mike

19. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

If it is not as was supposed to be that is a problem the dealer should take up with the distributor on your behalf ... your dealer is at fault in this and should be handling the entire situation for you.

Your dealer is a piece of crap who only wants the initial sale and offers you nothing more after the paperwork is done ... and you honestly think he is a good guy?

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Oh yeah, dealer is a good guy. He's given me tons of stuff over the past year and has discounted all kinds of accessories. He deals high end stuff mostly, and I imagine his adapatation level is such that $54.00 bucks is chump change. I see the dealer and distributer's point and mine: If every gun sent back for a problem required a call order, whether the problem was real or perceived, we consumers would, in theory, pay more for the gun on the buying end. I guess it's a trade off.

I do think the best of all worlds would be that the dealer and distributer would take care of the shipping at their reduced volume rate. That would be fair to all; the sniveler with imagined problems would not be feeding off the legitimate problems and those with legitimate problems would feel less of a hit. I bet in this case, the "hit" would have been half of the $54.00.

I guess it is also best, if possible, if the gun you really like best is distributed near where one lives. I believe that, in part, gives Perrazi a stronghold in Southern California.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.