1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion Tron

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by unioncracker, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Tron

I see you are the center from time to time. I have read some things and think I would weigh heavy your advice in this area. What truck Ford or other would you buy. Year style etc within the last 7yrs. The most I will pull is a small scotty trailer. Want power when needed otherwise ride and fuel economy. Reliability. My step father could always tell you which ones broke the most with expensive repairs. Would appreciate your humble thoughts. From the sunny to hot south, thanks if you have time to reply.

Buddy

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well, my personal opinion is that it's pretty hard to beat an F-150, foriegn or domestic. The 4.6L is a damn good motor, the 5.4L has a lot more power, but is more problematic. The 4.2L isn't one of my personal favorites...more or less a modified 3.8L (NOTORIOUS Junk), but much improved over it's predecessor. The only real problems that I would see on the newer 150's were rear brake issues (leaking, frozen or stuck calipers) but that was a pretty easy fix.

If Ford isn't to your liking, the Chevy is also a great truck. The engines are a bit lower tech (push rod design, as opposed to OHC) and if there are mechanical issues down the road, they are straight forward and easier to repair. I think that the Chevy drives a bit better (the ones that I've driven feel smoother).

I'm not fond of Dodge at all, but I'm sure that some will argue.

Regards from cloudy crappy Michigan!

Tron

BTW, being that this is a "Truck thread", I predict a bumper crop of Lurkers. I hate Lurkers.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Are those diesel lurkers or one's with propellers, eh?......Bob dodd

4. Tron

I'm sure that some Lurkers wear those funny hats with propellers on top of their heads....they are weird people. I wish that someone would post a list of who the Lurkers are, but being that they are Lurkers it would be impossible to verify.

5. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Chevy 5.3s in a 1500 Silverado or Sierra are proving to be good power plants now that the early transmission issues have been resolved. After numerous Fords I switched to GMs in the early 90s for ride, drive and creature comforts, but the new 150s that I’ve driven certainly have caught up in those areas making it as much a preference in dealerships.

From sunny, lightly breezed, mid 80s, forcasted to hit low 90s this weekend, shooting season is in full swing, Texas.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

You know what they say about opinions.

Jim

7. Tron

Kitty says that they're like Jim101s....whatever that means.

Tron

8. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Kitty looks like he's lurking for a snack.

Jerbear

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Wow-whee Tronski, You must have put your little propeller cap on to come up with that one.

Jim

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm lurking. I really have no interest in this thread. I thought it was a thread to offer your opinion on Tron, but I was disappointed to find it was about pickup trucks.

Bummer.

11. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Thanks Tron. Lurkers are right. People that tease you normally don't like you. Looks like a lot of people like you. What is the equivilant 302 and 305 in litre engines for the lurkers.

From Sunny Florida

12. Tron

302= 5.OL, so does a Chevy 305.

13. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Thanks again. Good luck in your busines. Need some computer help just let me know. I'll invoice the lurkers.

14. laura!

laura! Member

Just call me "Lurkin' Laura"... oh shit, I responded - I guess that disqualifies me as a lurker...

So what is Kitty's favorite fuel efficient, but still can handle MI's weather car?

15. Tron

I asked him and he said "The Toyota Camry is about as good as it gets". I guess I can't argue that.

Tron

16. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Lurkin' Lurkin' Lurkin'......... TOYOTA..WHAT THE.. You leave Ford and look what happens.

Steve

17. nipper

nipper TS Member

tron,

your cat is eating to well from kitten stage.

i put 62000 miles on 1 ford f-150 and have a newer one with 28,000 and have only ever put tires on the first one. am i lucky or is it just a good truck?? oh forgot the low tire air pressure sensor went bad on the new one but dealer repaired it.

bill

18. Tron

Sorry Steve, but I'm done with Ford. I'm more than a little bitter with the way they've decided to treat their techs. All of my friends that I use to work with that found jobs at other Ford dealers are really getting screwed...especially with the "Fast Lane" program. These guys are being FORCED to work for FREE. They call me on their cell phones all of the time to vent. The guys that went out on their own are doing much better and are happier.

Ford can stick it. Plus I'm still pissed that they kicked me off of their forum.

Tron