1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opinion P/W 800B or Hornady 366 for 12ga trap load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tja, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tja

tja TS Member

I was looking at buying a Hornady 366 but my Dad has a P/W 800B that has never been out of the box new. The only thing is they don't make that model anymore, does anyone have an opinion

Thanks Terry

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a 366 and it turned out a decent shell after adjusting every station for my components. I sold it after a year because it was too slow for me and I bought a PW900 and have had zero problems with it.

3. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

The B is a great reloader unless you want to use AAHS hulls, then there will be a problem. If you are getting a great deal on the B I would buy it and then consider the upgrade to a plus with the savings.

You will never be sorry with the B and especially not with the PW 800+ configuration. I believe anything that would break on a newer model B can be replaced with upgrade parts for the Plus.

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

You have an 800B, NIB? Use it, the full length dies will load AA's and everything else nicely!!! I bought my 800B used in 1983 and outside of minor parts, it is still going.

5. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

I guess it's kinda like chevy vs ford. I've never used a PW, I've used my 366 forever and love it, and would never change. I'd say if you can get the PW for free, that's all you'll ever use. Spend your extra cash for a mec 600 jr and a universal charge bar, and use that one for your hunting loads. After you've reloaded for a while you'll accumulate various extra wads and powders. I always used my 366 for trap loads and my 600 for hunting loads and using up the leftover 'stuff' I have around.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Although I do not use one, most seem to think the PW 800 loader is very good. The only thing I would say, especially if you are new to progressive loaders, is to read the manufacturers manual thoroughly and carefully before using. Espcially the warnings concerning the possibility of double charging a hull with shot and/or powder. If you have read anything on the thread concerning the Quantico Shooting Club and Caesar Guerini shotguns, you will understand the dangers of a bad reload.

Jim R

7. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Keep the 800B and LEARN how to drive it!! They work great if you know how to operate them.Read the owners manual and go for it. If you have any problems post them right here on this site and we will guide you.PJ

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Ditto "poacherjoe".

I started rebuilding an old 800B for my buddy who started me trapshooting and making me a good shooter. He's loading all our hot pheasant loads on a 366.

I was over at his shop yesterday for coffee during his reloading and after watching him fight with that 366, I came back and started rebuilding the 800B until about midnight last night.

He gets it today.

Whiz

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I own both.. I used the 366's for 30 years.. The last 10 was all P/W's..Whiz took my money.. and I've been happy with the press and his service..(the few times I ever needed an adjustment I didn't know how to do).. Both are great.. but if you shoot alot.. my vote is the P/W.. 800+

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.