1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on Winchester Select Energy shotgun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by The Rock, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Owned one for two weeks. Was to light for my personal choice. Worked good and shot where I aimed it. I just like a gun with a little more heft to it. I kept over swinging the target. Definitely a step in the right direction for Winchester. But not for everyones liking but then there is nothing that is right for everyone.

Time will tell if they hold up to a lot of use.

Rock

Jim

2. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Cheap looking and feeling gun, and not very popular with target shooters. Probably not even popular with hunters, a shame.

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I shot one and liked it. It balanced well and responded well to hard angles. Made in Belgium and apperars to be made pretty well. I do like the looks of it. Time will tell if it catches on. I'm not the world's biggest O/U fan, but if I was going to buy a new one, I think I would consider it. About my only crticism are the ported barrels. I am not a fan of barrel porting on any trap gun.

4. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I have one and have put thousands of rounds through it without a problem. It is a great gun for the money.I would say they are just as good as a browning, especially since they are made by browning. They do get dirty very fast, but this does not bother me. Some people have problems with the forearm cracking, I have yet to have this happen. If you get one I would recommend you get one with an adjustable comb.

jamie

5. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

Bought one just after they came out. Had an adjustable comb installed, and double release triggers installed. Was going to use for doubles. Great gun, wood to metal fit excellent, responsive, however, I did add a few ounces of weight in the buttstock for felt recoil reduction. Overall a very well built gun. Made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. Some of the first ones had pretty plain wood, but the target versions seem to have a bit better figured wood. The one I got is beautiful and it was by pure luck as I purchased the gun on-line. They come with a nicely fitted case and an assortment of front sights and a choke tube or two. I think that the only thing holding this gun back is the name. If the gun was brought out by Berreta or Perrazi or another foreign brand perceived as quality then the gun would have been better received. Personally I think that for the money it is an exceptional buy. The only reason I don't shoot mine more is that I have arthritis in both thumbs and my neck that pretty much dictates a gas gun for me. I highly recommend the gun. Still have mine just in case someone comes out with a cure for ole arthur.

6. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

My buddy got one and shoots it well. First time I tried it ran 23/25. He shoots a modified lower barell for 16-20yd and full upper at 27yds...Seems to shoot as good at any yardage. Sure is tight to open /close though.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I've got one, same as you've pictured with non-adj monte carlo comb. They're a well made shotgun, a bit light at the butt (easily remedied by adding weight inside the buttstock). Well regulated, both barrels shoot the same POI, right-on L/R & about 70/30 up/down.

John C. Saubak

8. williray

williray TS Member

Bought a Winny Sporting model 32in bbl, Ported, adj comb in Dec 06, from CDNN. Love it!!!! If I had a complaint it'd be they should've sent/included skeet chokes too!! Well made, very nice wood, good fit & Finish, trigger pull is wonderful, smooth as silk. I went back to my "old" O/U for skeet and cant shoot it anymore, the trigger pull is too tight after getting use to the Winny.

I probably have about 2k shells through it with no problems at all. Bottom line it's really a Browning with different checkering, which some love some hate, personally I like it.

The adjustable comb mech is kinda chintzy!! It's loosend on me a couple of times, I finally used Loctight on it, so far so good.

9. djcuda

djcuda Member

I bought one of these for my son to shoot high school trap.The gun shoots where you look and seems to have good balance.No problems so far after about 2000 rounds.My son also wanted a Browning ,but could not help with the cost.Great gun for the money.
    Dave

10. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

I have owned mine for just about 3 years. 30" with adj. comb. I added a 9 oz. mercury weight to the butt and it feels fine to me. I noticed right away when i handled it that the grip is thicker than most and I like that. I shoot it for all events and got my first 98 at 25 yards with it last season. I have 18,600 birds through it so far with no problems. No wood cracking as some have reported. Very nice triggers on it also. It was stiff to open for around 5,000 and then it started to loosen up slightly. It is still tighter than my old Citori ever was. $1395 when I bought mine. I see used one's at Jaqua's and Monsoors for $1495 now. Softest shooting gun I've ever owned "off the rack" though many say they "kick like a mule". I sold my KS5 Special and shoot this as my only gun. Sure I'd love to shoot a Perazzi again but at my level of ability, this one will be fine for quite a while.

11. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I just was looking to buy a winny ES($1695 new w/adj comb). I was told it was a low end browning and decided to spend the $400 more and bought Browning XT ($2100 new w/adj comb). Big difference in the weight and feel on the swing and the finish of the wood is much nicer on the XT. Also, the XT has a high rib, not sure I like the wide/low rib of the winny. I suggest you opt for an XT for only $400 more.

Hawk,

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

If you have a Gander Mountain close by check with them before purchasing ... if they can get one within there system the gun you have pictured should be less than $1200 w/ adj comb ... or at least the Gm by me has them at that price.

13. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

I've owned one for about a year now with a couple thousand rounds through it. Its a fine gun and a great value for the money. I shot a 98 with it a couple of months ago and the two I missed certainly weren't the gun's fault ;-)

I'm not sure where the comment about "cheap feeling" comes from - it certainly is a quality gun.

No problems with mine - no cracked wood or other malfunctions. I only have 2 complaints about the gun:

1. You can't turn the ejectors off which I absolutely don't understand on a trap gun. I've seen much cheaper guns out there with selectable ejector setups. I reload and I don't like having to pick up shells off the ground, so you learn to catch them before the action is completely open.

2. Mine is still pretty tight. Looking at the thread, I have about 3000 rounds to go to loosen it up.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to you.

14. JRD

JRD TS Member

Lumper, That seems like a smoking deal! Didnt know they were that cheap. I had seen them around $1500 with monte carlo stock and closer to $1800 for the adjustable combs.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

There's an adjustment to tighten or loosen the "tightness" of how these guns open and close.

John C. Saubak

16. len w

len w TS Member

I have a trap model 30" barrel w/ adjustable comb. I think its just great. Another guy where I shoot, has one and he loves his too. Is not cheap looking and shoots right where I aim it. For $1395.00 I think it was a steal.Forestock isn't cracked either. Len Weller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
forend for winchester select shotgun
select energy shotgun

winchester select energy

winchester select energy shotgun

winchester select energy sporting
winchester select energy sporting review
winchester select energy trap
winchester select shotgun comparison