1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on Remington 3200

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DON1911, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DON1911

DON1911 Member

Have a chance to buy a 3200 closet queen unfired. My dilemma is, I want to add extended choke tubes to it. How badly will that hurt the value of this gun that I'm planning on shooting anyway? Thanks for any feed back! Don1911

2. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

The 3200 has thin barrels to start with. Before purchasing the gun I would call Briley and ask what the total cost for choke tubes will be. Not every choke installer will nor can work on a 3200. Having had a very nice one I would not purchase a 3200 that had choke tubes installed. They are not needed as I see it. Its a beautiful gun with high maint. fees sometimes.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Tough call. I've owned a couple and they are great shooters but you have to make sure it has had the updates already done. Look at the breach face. If there are two set screws there then the updates have been done.

Although I consider them great shooters, the receiver is weak near the radii where the forend iron meets the receiver. That's not a big deal if you are ALWAYS careful putting the gun together and it can be repaired by smithy's who work on a lot of them.

Breech faces wear pretty soft on some guns, requiring a fairly expensive redo but I would just consider that maintenance if it was my favorite shooter.

Great triggers right out of the box, usually. Lot's of great shooters use them. In Illinois a couple of our best state team shooters shoot them "lights out".

I wouldn't put interchangeable chokes in it.

Great medium priced gun all around. Made in the USA.

4. johnboy

johnboy Member

Has it had the modifications to the standing breech? If you are planning on shooting the gun I think the modifications are necessary due to the design flaw. If you like the gun and shoot it well I would have choke tubes installed, it is not like putting a spoiler mint 67 GTO.

5. oh3200hntr

oh3200hntr TS Member

Call Laibs...they can answer any 3200 question under the sun

6. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

If the price is decent buy it, forget about the tubes . imo Glenn

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

There have been a lot of 3200's ruined by choke tube installs. Make sure the updates have been done and shoot the lights out of it.

ss

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Price is right considering the updates are all done. I wouldn't chance tubing one though.

ss

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

Save and buy a K-80

10. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Don't choke tube it; put Briley sub gage tubes in it for a good sporting clays gun.

Dave

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Always seemed like a decent gun, just kind of antiquated styling. Just an opinion.

12. Kerz

Kerz Member

Great gun. Many good comments posted. Should you decide not to purchase, let me know.
    Vic

13. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

A heavy gun. Could put 20 ga. tubes in it with changeable chokes. But more weight.

I had one for about a month. 12 ga trap full over mod. Got an offer I could not refuse.

Was a heavy gun.

If you want it, get it and enjoy it.

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I REALLY like 'em....like I do 1957 Chevy's (I borrowed that line from another poster here on TS.com who described 3200s as "cult" guns with a loyal following like '57 Chevy's.) That said, I still own 2...a skeet and a trap, but never (very seldom) shoot them. Part breakage is a concern and repair is expensive and complex at best. Buy it, admire it, and treat it with reverence...just don't shoot it a lot...enjoy the pride of ownership and get a good 1100 or 391 or used Citori or Beretta for sporting. Best Regards, Ed

15. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I can see this either way.

I bought one with Briley thinwalls installed that I use for sporting from time to time. I bought it because I always wanted a 3200 but really don’t shoot it a lot because I shoot other guns better. I like the fact that my gun has tubes installed, but knowing what I know now, I personally would not do that to another 3200. The barrels are really thin and as you can see from the picture there is not a lot of barrel left once the thinwall is installed. You will also see that mine has a little ding in the upper barrel.

But, I do shoot it and enjoy shooting it for trap and skeet, yes I said skeet, along with sporting. I have also shot it with some Companion tubes but they make it way too barrel heavy for my liking. The trigger on my 3200 is the kind of thing that dreams are made from. Only modification I did was removing the ejector springs.

[​IMG]

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The Remington 3200 is a fantastic gun as it is, It does not need choke tubes,
    It is a terrific shooter, I wish I had mine back, it won a lot of Calcuttas, Buddy Shoots and Annie Oakleys, Mine was a 32"inch model, I personally prefer the 32"inch Bbls, Mine had the high shooting hangar to bring up the Under Bbl POI, as It was the Bbl I shot the most.

Look to see if it has had the updates done by Remington, check reciever face and see if there are two allen screws? And if the DOT is stamped on bottom of Reciever for trigger up-dates for Pricing Value.

This gun is worth a lot more un-touched, and I personally would not install choke tubes in it for any amount of money or even if they were FREE.

My friends son has won he shoots the sh*t out of. Plus he is a natural shooter excellent shooting abilities.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Matt Dryke won the Olympic Gold Medal in skeet with a standard out of the box 3200 in 1984. In ten years of competition, my 3200 needed one plunger assembly, no other repairs.

18. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Not many gun companies used plastic parts in their trigger assemblies, but Remington did in their 3200.

19. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Just where are the plastic parts?

20. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The part is called "toggle slide block" this slotted nut enables the toggle linkage select top, bottom, or safety position. When the nut cracks it does so from the threads out in 2-3 pieces. When this happens the selector can be in any position regardless of where the outside selector is showing. The picture shows a aluminum nut I made to replace the black plastic factory one, I have replaced 2 for owners in the past 5 years.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
briley thin wall remington 3200
kirby choke tubes on 3200
remington 3200 and briley thin wall chokes
remington 3200 briley chokes

remington 3200 skeet and sporting clays

remington 3200 vs k 80