1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on reloaders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Nuts, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

I'm saving up for a new 12g reloader, so the rearch has begun--it usually takes me a few months to make a decision on purchases of this magnitude-so please no PM's on I have for or that for sale, I will be buying a new reloader. I'm familiar with MEC reloaders as I have a set of 9000g's with an auto-mate for sub-gauages--which I like.

I have heard alot of favorable opinions concerning Dillion, I espeically like the case-feeder and shot tub for 25#'s of shot. Not dealing with shoot bottles is very appealing.

I don't know much about Sopolar or PW's.

Not trolling here, I'm just looking for some opinions for experienced reloaders. Please let me know, in your opinion, the good and bad of each.

Thanks and Merry Xmas

2. busstuf

busstuf Member

Nuts: All you need to do is a search above and you will have all the info you will ever need. Reloading has been covered repeatedly on this site. It is all dependant on speed and money.There is a huge difference in both, between a MEC single stage and a Spolar w/hydraulics. Do some homework, and let us know your decision. I did a couple yrs ago!
    Tom Foley

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

There are high capacity shot and powder tubes available for every reloader i know of. Dillon does not have a corner on that market. My Pacific DL366 will hold almost 30lbs. of shot and over a pound of Powder.

Matt

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

It sounds like P/W is coming out with something new in the near future. Whether its a reloader or not its unknown at this time but I would wait and see.

I had always had Mec's until last winter when I bought a used 800+ with hydraulics. I had to re-adjust everything because I load different shells than the previous owner but with the help of Whiz Whites website it was a breeze. I didn't think that learning the 800+ was any harder than the 650 Mec I had.

Bill

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rumors about PW have something new for the market.....???????? Hummmmmmmm??

6. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

I have seen some newer loaders that are top rate. But I will stick with the original high grade loader. I have used P-W since the late 1960's. I have an 800-B I use everyday with a serial number just over 10,000. I have an 800-Convertible, also used everyday with a 7,500 serial number. I retired an 800-B that worked just fine with a number in the low 5,000s because I now only load two variations, one for 16 yds. & Doubles, and one for Handicap. I upgraded both machines to the newer dies and taper crimp and have conical crimp starters on both so I can switch between paper and plastic with no adjustments. When I was 15 years old or so I was loading 1,000 to 1,500 rounds a week on a MEC manual index machine. It took most of my non-school time to do it. That same year I went with my Father to the Grand and went into the P-W tent. After seeing finished shells popping out every 5 seconds or so without touching anything but the empty hull and the wad I told Dad we're not leaving without one. I still have that loader.

7. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

I have a 9000G and a PW800+.
    When I bought the 9000G it was $300 8 years ago. I just bought the PW, it was $900.
    The 9000G has served me well. It makes a good shell. It is a sheet metal fabricated loader. It has a collet that compresses the brass bass back to size. I upgraded to the newer primer feeder, much better than the old Chain activated primer feeder. For the money it's hard to beat the 9000G.
    I just got the PW. It's a casting that is machined. there are 8 steel dies that index around to the various stations. the shell is fed up thru the bottom of the die and is pressed into the steel die and the shell rides around to all stations in that die until the last station where it is ejected. Powder and shot is fed thru bushings and there is a rack gear that cycles the powder and shot drop. It is way better than the Mec system with the siding charge bar and brass bushing. You have to manually turn the powder and shot drop on and off when you start loading or forget to load a hull and pull the lever. The biggest drawback to the PW is the loader doesn't recognize if there is a hull or not under the powder and shot drop. SO if you screw up it will dump without a shell and there is a mess. I bought a 9x14 cookie sheet and put it between the loader and the bench when i mounted it to catch the loose powder and shot. This was a good idea recommended by a shooting budy. The powder and shot hoppers are way better than the Mec. the shot hopper holds 25# of shot. With a little expierence I've learned how to control the powder and shot drops and its not a issue. The first day i used it I was a little frustrated but after a few hundred rounds thru it its not a problem. The primer feed on the PW is a little better than the MEC. you just have to watch it and make sure to keep it full. To compare a 900G to a PW800+ is like comparing a cavalier to a Oldsmobile. I happy with the PW. I think you get what you pay for in the PW.

8. neofight

neofight TS Member

I am fairly new to shooting and re-loading,having been in it for less than one year, but after reading all i could find about reloaders, i ordered a new PW 800+. It has been performing as advertised, cranking out shell after shell like a well oiled machine. (hey, it is a well-oiled machine). It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to operate it, just a little common sense.

I also installed mine over a cookie sheet, but i drilled a hole in the corner of the sheet, attached a nipple and hose that leads to a container to catch any spilled shot. I've had it for 9 months now and every time i walk past my shop, it beckons me to stop by and pull the handle a few times : ) No problems with it to date, very solid machine. I did buy the machined base for the powder and shot.

From what i see,inflation being what it is, keep it long enough and get your money back on re-sale.

9. neofight

neofight TS Member

I am fairly new to shooting and re-loading,having been in it for less than one year, but after reading all i could find about reloaders, i ordered a new PW 800+. It has been performing as advertised, cranking out shell after shell like a well oiled machine. (hey, it is a well-oiled machine). It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to operate it, just a little common sense.

I also installed mine over a cookie sheet, but i drilled a hole in the corner of the sheet, attached a nipple and hose that leads to a container to catch any spilled shot. I've had it for 9 months now and every time i walk past my shop, it beckons me to stop by and pull the handle a few times : ) No problems with it to date, very solid machine. I did buy the machined base for the powder and shot.

From what i see,inflation being what it is, keep it long enough and get your money back on re-sale.

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I'm a Dillon Owner. Excellent machine. It's a real reloader. Big center piston, machined and cast parts. Shot and powder adjustment screws. No more bushings. Very accurate drops. Heads change in minutes. Easy to pull the handle, won't hurt your shoulder. Unconditional service. Very fast. 35,000 rounds thru it & no problems. It's almost perfect, they still don't make a 410 head for it. Don't fool around, buy it new, factory direct. That way your name is in there incase you ever need parts or service. Dave T.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dillon warrants their machine's for life regardless of if your the original owner or not.

12. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have owned a Dillon SL 900 and for the most part was not a bad loader. There customer service and warranty cant be beat. Mine had a couple of little quirks I did not like and I could not fix so I sold it and now have a P/W 800+ that has a auto drive and auto case feeder and I would not trade it for the world. It will load a box of perfect crimped shells in 90 seconds and when there are 4 people shooting in your household reloading becomes more of a job and not a hobby. I could not imagine reloading on anything that I had to hand crank as much as my kids shoot.
    good luck with your decision and happy loading.

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

dillon. dillon aero. makes miniguns for the military. 50 rounds per second kind of stuff. makes a pretty decent shotshell reloader as well. good luck with it

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Over 40 years of reloading, I have used or owned almost every machine. I spent a lot of time on the P/W and the old ones were well made. I had manufacturing problems with the 800+ and returned it to the factory. For the last three years I have loaded on the Spolar with the P/W hydraulics. The Spolar is worth every penny! It just loads without any aggravation. You don't have to be a mechanic. If you decide on the P/W get it from Whiz White. He stands behind what he sells and knows everything to adjust or repair. If you plan on shooting for many years, spend the money on the best, Spolar, along with the hydraulics and you will not have to replace the machine for the next 40 years. If you decide to quit the clay target game, you can easily get your money out of the Spolar. Fred

15. grntitan

From what i hear Dillon needs that warranty. Plastic pieces that break and need replaced routinely. Remember, thread said "Opinion of reloaders" My Pacific/Hornady is built like an anvil. I don't see how you would/could break one.

Matt

16. quartering

quartering Active Member

good analogy; an anvil is like an anchor: but without any personality. good luck with the ol' pacific

17. grntitan

That's funny. My anchor makes some dandy reloads.

Matt

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Nuts,

Why are you looking for a new 12 ga loader? What are your objectives?

I do not like MEC's but you state "I have a set of 9000g's with an auto-mate for sub-gauges--which I like." To me, that means you are pretty good at reloading as the 28 and 410 can be a bear to reload and you are doing so on MEC's.

Are you looking at the possibility of gauge conversions with your new machine?

I hate seeing the pissing contest that these threads cause. Folks justifying why their reloader is the best. Some of these guys have limited experience with different equipment so how can they compare? And what is "best" for a 5000 round a year shooter is not the "best" for someone loading 20,000 a year, or a person who needs to change gauges.

PM me if you wish to discuss. I have not owned the 366 or RCBS Grand so I cannot advise on those machines.

Don Verna

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've owned a lot of the various shotshell loaders out there. Like a lot of us, I started with a single-stage MEC, moved to a progressive MEC Grabber and then bought one of the "better" machines. I disliked the design and hated the customer service, so I sold it and went to a MEC 9000G. Then I couldn't resist a deal on a new "better" machine but just didn't like it even though the customer service was good, so I sold it and bought another 9000G. The grass looked greener elsewhere (excuse the pun), so I bought another "better" machine, the RCBS Grand. I really liked it and loved their customer service but arthritis was making even that machine's smooth operation painful to my shoulder. I didn't want a hydraulic operating system, so I continued to use the Grand until the AutoMate hit the market. I got a 9000E and an AutoMate and as far as I'm concerned, I have purchased my last shotshell loader.

Yes, the "better" loaders are bigger and more well-made than a MEC and I would expect them to outlast a MEC - and in all fairness, for what they cost, they should. But some of them lack the MEC's intelligent, simple design. Some have powder and shot drops that have to be manually controlled. On some of them, the finished shells don't eject off the side of the machine, creating a pain if you like to box your shells as you go in order to discover problems as they happen instead of hundreds of shells later. And they have the complexity of a Swiss watch by comparison to a MEC, so they can be less user-friendly.

If greater powder and shot capacity are important to you, using a MEC shot bottle for powder and one of the aftermarket 25-pound shot reservoirs addresses that concern very well.

As others have said, everyone's wants and needs differ, so there is no single "perfect" loader for everyone. But it seems that for the majority, a MEC does just fine.

Ed

20. grntitan

Very good points Don up to and including the pissing contest part. Probably partly or wholey aimed at me but thats ok, its your opinion but true.

If you have a loader that both suits your needs and supplys you with your reloads, stick with it. The grass is not always greener on the other side. We "Trap Shooters" do this with guns as well. That's why we always end up hunting down that gun we traded away. There is always room to upgrade to a progressive loader but otherwise stick with what works for you. I love my Pacific/Hornady but others hate the way they operate. The same has been said for others and their machines.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.