1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on KX-5?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Bopper, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

What do you guys / gals think of the Krieghoff KX-5? Thanks!

2. Clay McCracken

Clay McCracken TS Member

Great gun, very nice trigger.

I didn't like the "cocking on opening lever" deal for my young son. It was more difficult for him to open than a shotgun that uses gravity to help cock the hammers.

As far as fit, I didn't like the feeling that my forehand was above my trigger hand. As though the gun was bent downward at the grip. (Kind of like the old muzzle loaders had a stock that had tons of drop at the heel.)

BUT having said that...I've always said that the "Krieghoffs is better built, but Perazzi shoots targets better." and I think that's because the stocks are more target shooter friendly on the Perazzi.

I still want to get a KX-5 with a PFS on it. That would be a very nice target shooting outfit for sure.

Your results may vary. Member FDIC

Mike T.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've got the KS-5 Special which is essentially the same gun for adjustability and form. I'll shoot this gun until I drop, a true study in German simplicity. The cocking argument can be a problem for the kids or ladies but even with my atrophied hand and weakened arm from old injuries, I can and do handle the opening and cocking without notice....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Hmm, this is a popular topic, it crops up often. (Try a search for much more).

Okay, its design is amazingly simple and durable. The lockwork is what, 5 parts, 6 if a release. Nevertheless, the factory release on my KX compares favorably to my K-80. It's adjustable every which way, and adjustments stay put. The factory chokes are good. You easily get used to cocking on opening.

Some will say it's a kicker. I don't understand that at all. Its weight is adequate for a trapgun, if it kicks you it doesn't fit. That's all. QED

Although I have a single barrel for my K-80, I prefer the KX for singles and handicap. My widow can dispose of it when I'm dead.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm a BT99 guy and just had the opportunity to spend an entire day using a KX5. Couldn't believe how soft shooting the gun was! Without touching the rib or comb, the gun like a glove. Besides a straight slider - I think 23 was my lowest score all day - a dream to shoot.

...now if I could only figure out a way to afford one!

Jay

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It is odd how the KS-5 and KX-5 can either be a soft-shooter or a real hard kicker for different people - possibly more so than any other gun. I have no facts to support why that phenomenon exits but it certainly seems to.

I bought my first one in 1991, a used KS-5 Scroll Arabesque grade. It was traded on a Perazzi by its original owner because of high recoil. In attempts to soften the recoil, he/she had installed a Timney adjustable recoil pad adapter and had the barrel ported (it already had a factory adjustable comb). I didn't think it kicked any harder than my K-80. When my son outgrew the 20-gauge 1100 I had cut down for him at age nine, I gave him that used KS-5 to shoot and bought a new KS-5 Special for myself. Neither of us - even Jason, a 12 year-old who had been shooting an auto-loader - thought our guns kicked hard. I later gave Jason that Special and traded the Scroll Arabesque gun on a another new Special for myself when the receivers changed in 1994. I now shoot a KX-5 and still don't notice high levels of recoil. Jason has shot it and says he can hardly feel it go off. I consider that an exaggeration but you get the idea.

Perhaps 10 years ago, Jason and I found that original KS-5 we owned in a rack at Jaqua's. We were told it was traded it there because it kicked too hard!

From all that and the comments I've read on here over the years, I can only assume that the KS-5 and KX-5 are guns that will kick you harder than normal if they don't fit you. However, I need 5/16" of offset and the Krieghoff factory adjustable comb does not offer that much adjustment, so I'm still as confused as anyone about the recoil issue.

As stated, they are almost bullet-proof guns that will last you a lifetime. Their quality and that of the service behind them is top-notch.

Ed

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ed:

In my situation, shooting a top-barrel and moving to the mid-barrel, including its better pad, may have given me the noticeable reduction in felt-recoil. Not having shot much other than Brownings for much of my on-range experience, shooting a gun of this calibre, made for an easy comparison.

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kx-5 age