1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on Ithaca Flues

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tinylo, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Hi. I know everybody has a strong opinion here, and I'm looking for some!

I have this here Ithaca Flues Grade 1 made in 1919 that I fell in love with and had to have. The stock is nice and so is the receiver - probably about 95% case colors with sharp engraving. It shoots great, is a 2 3/4 chamber, and I shot a 23 with it first time out and I'll be using it for some vintage trap shoots. 32", F/F

The problem is someone did something to the barrels - some kind of cold blue.

The bores are mirror, and the exterior metal is fine, no dents, dings or scratches.

I'm thinking of having the barrels reblued. Should I?

I have $500 into the gun as is, and reblueing will run $250.

Any opinions on what I should do? Thanks in advance! Pics below:

20110312154411.jpg

20110312154526.jpg

2. johnboy

johnboy Member

I have one that has been in the family for 50 years and have dated it back to 1913. The flues have thin fences and should not be subject to a steady diet of heavy loads. I recently had the gun restored by a fellow who had worked for Ithaca and he recommended no more than one ounce loads. You have what appears to be a very nice Flues, but they were not designed for heavy loads. I would not hesitate to tie up 250 in bluing by a competent gunsmith.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Careful... as people have warned, the Flues doubles are nice, honest quality guns but were not designed for modern high-pressure loads. The old Ithaca historian (Sid) once specifically warned me about this in an appraisal letter.

-Gary

4. pdq

pdq Member

I wasn't aware of the issue of high pressure shells in the Flues models (I have a couple of Knicks from 1929 that do just fine with light loads).

But, there is an answer. Do a Google search for "RST Shells". They make low pressure smokeless powder shells that are desinged for use in vintage shotguns with Damascus and Twist barrels that were originally designed for use with blackpowder shells. I use them in my 1889 P grade Parker with Twist barrels and they work great.

Get some, and get that Flues into action -- great fun shooting guns that are 80 - 100 years old. Just use the correct shells for safety purposes!

Pete

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

The barrels need to be rust blued or blacked by a competent smith. If you need some names pm me. Personally my opinion on shells, just stay with 1 oz light loads and it will be fine. Stay away from the heavy handicap loads is all. Looks to me like you got a prize there. Bill

6. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I guess if I were to want my gun to look as original as possible, I would get in touch with Turnbull Manufacturing in Bloomfield, NY.

They are the masters when it comes to restoration of old firearms.

Dave in SC

PS: I think this gun is worth having the Barrels done

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Just curious, how do you know it's a 2 3/4" chamber and not a 2 5/8" chamber?

8. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Thank you all for your comments. To answer a few questions, I am shooting my reloads with 15 gr red dot and 1 1/8 oz. The book says this is in the sub-8000 psi range so I feel I am safe. I'll go to 1 oz when I get the charge bar. I used a gauge to measure the chamber at it read 2 3/4.

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

Gunter Pffromer did a very nice job on my 1913 Flues, he was recommended by Walt Syder. I emailed Trunbull and was told they no longer restored flues due to lack of parts.

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Gunter is highly spoken of over on doublegun.com. There is a picture of a flues on a 16 ga. ithaca over there for sale that he reblacked. If Walt recomended him he is better than good. Everybody wants to throw Turnbull's and
    Delgreco's name around for restoration work but there are alot of talented individuals out there doing really great work. You just need to ask around. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1919 ithaca flues sbt
ding in ithaca flues barrel

ithaca flues

ithaca flues for hunting

ithaca flues restoration

ithaca flues takedown
the ithaca flues shotgun
using smokeless loads in ithaca flues 16 gauge twist barrels