1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on gun purchase

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pjmarko, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjmarko

pjmarko TS Member

I am considering the purchase of a used Trap model shot gun. I am looking at a Pedersen model 1500 O/U trap or a Ithica SKB 600 trap model. Any opions on either gun are appreciated. Both are in similar condition in good condition with bright barrels.

Pete

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Never heard of a Pedersen so that eliminates it. Where do you get parts when (not if) it breaks? I would not get the SKB either but that is me.

Buy a Citori that has a few more scratches, or save a little longer if you are set on getting an O/U. You will be happier in the long run and will be able to sell for what you paid for it when you move up. Parts for the Citori are also easy to get.

Don Verna

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Definitely the SKB. Parts and service are available - not so with the long
    (40 years) discontinued Pedersen.

4. warren

warren Member

I highly recomend a Browing Citori very reliable and hold their value, when you sell it, if ever, it'll be worth more than you paid if you keep it in good condition.

warren

5. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Go with the Pederson as they were built as a custom gun for Mossberg. I almost bought one but the price was out of my bank account balance at the time. Use your judgement on condition and fit, I believe they are very well made and if the price is right you will enjoy many good memories shooting it.

Harry

6. twotimer

twotimer Member

Pete, I have 3 SKB's and have had very few issues. I own several other makes also. If those are your only two choices, go with the SKB and don't look back. Mike

7. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

There is no doubt price dictates.
    But remember to use a little common sense.
    You gemerally get what you pay for.

Joe Woods/Ontario

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The 605's are well built shotguns and I would have no quams about buying one to shoot trap. Service and parts are readily available. I have owned a couple of SKB's and have no issues with them.

I know nothing of the Pederson though.

ss

9. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Some of the Pedersen guns were a spanish copy (poor) of the perazzi, they loosened up pretty quick. Not sure about the 1500 model. The SKB/Ithaca were and are still a good gun. Nothing even close to that quality for the price. Parts are still available for the SKB.

10. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Which ones fit you the best? Lee

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I would stay clear of the Pedersen. The 600 would definitely be the better of the two. But your real close to what I've seen Citoris bring or darn close to it.

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pete:

Just sent you a private message.

sissy

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Shooting for 60 years get a Citori just a better quality gun the shooters on here are giving you great advice just take it .

14. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pederson.....parts availability?

SKB....out of business.

Browning is your best bet.

If you buy one and it doesn't work for you, you can always get your money out of it. Never a problem reselling a Browning.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Neither gun has a company to back it any longer. I know the SKB has a skeleton crew of folks still actively handling service and sales of what new guns are still available for sale.......but that wont last after the rest of the new inventory is depleted. The SkB is an old platform though and many gunsmiths are very familiar with them and can maintain them until parts become a problem. Of the two, as others have said here, the SKB is far superior as SKB did a fine job of interpreting the needs of the American clay target shooter near the end of their tenure.

I'd suggest, however, that you take the advice of others here and buy a gun with a company behind it. The Brownings are good guns. Winchester American Select is a good entry level target OU too. Used Beretta OU's can be good, as well.

With just a few more shekels you can do better.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot it before you decide to buy it. Buy the one that is user friendly and breaks alot of targets. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.