1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on BT-99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolarshooter1981, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolarshooter1981

kolarshooter1981 TS Member

So whats your thoughts on a BT-99? Good buy for the money?
    I am considering looking at one.

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

You can spend more money for a gun, but you can't get more gun for the money!

Robert

3. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

'ditto' Robert...

4. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

You won't stand out anyplace but on the score sheet. Robert T knows

5. dmitch2010

dmitch2010 TS Member

I have a straight BT-99 (not a max or a plus). It is the older style and I paid $700 for it at an auction. I have shot with it for two years and shot over 3500 targets with it. I love it. I won my singles class at the Illinois State Shoot and won my yardage group there as well. My dad has a BT-99 Plus, and he loves it too. His has a release trigger. If I had $20,000 for a gun, I would buy a Browning. They will last just as long as anything else and shoot better. I think they are the most reliable trap guns. Daniel Mitchell

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Own 2, easy to shoot shotguns, well built and offered at an attractive pricepoint...

Jay

7. neofight

neofight TS Member

I am new to shooting, so can't offer much in an experience-based opinion, but i recently bought a BT99 Micro for my wife. I snooped around a lot, talked with numerous owners, handled one at a shoot, got a ton of good info. from the guys here on TS.com and took delivery of a new one last week.

I like the simplicity( matches my intellect) and decent fit and finish. From what i see, they appear to be a decent investment as they don't seem to depreciate much. For a thousand bucks, i'd say they are a good buy.

8. xtj

xtj Guest

I have owned mine for over 30 yrs. I agree with the above posts.

Joel

9. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Unless you plan on shooting doubles it is a great gun.

My son shot one for two years before moving into a combo. I don't think he shoots the combo any better even though it cost 4 times as much.

Balanced, reliable, easy to get parts (if needed) and will last for 10's of thousands of rounds.

Browning BT-99 is a winner.

SW

10. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Anything to watch out for???

11. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

If I had my choice all other things being = I'd rather have the older ones.

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Definetly buy the older style. The new version is not nearly as good.
    No engraving, plainer wood and metal injected parts.

13. gnprts

gnprts Member

I have owned several BT 99's and should never have sold a BT 99 Max Good guns

14. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Please define "older".....

15. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

the only thing to watch for is not getting the one with the factory adjustable comb.

Buy a regular one and send it to someone like Tron to do the comb.

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The BT-99 was discontinued in 1995 in favor of the BT-100. The BT-100 wasn't selling as well and was discontinued in 2000 and the BT-99 was re-introduced.

I believe they mean pre-2000 when they say "older".

I had a 1977 BT-99 and it was a nice gun. I shot it well enough and only had a couple of issues with it, but that was to be expected from a 30+ year old gun.

The BT-99 is fine, but I disagree with the statement, "You can spend more money for a gun, but you can't get more gun for the money!" There are better guns out there, but you will have to spend thousands more. For less than $2K, the BT-99 is the only new gun in its class that's worth buying.

In the used market I would lead you toward a Perazzi TM-1, but that's just me.

17. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Keep the stock bolt tight! Not sure but I think that's why my butt stock broke an ear off where it mates up to the receiver. I think the stock became loose allowing the receiver to slam back against it. If the stock is snugged up tight there would be no room for receiver to move back against it! Stock has some VERY nice looking wood and perhaps the grain in this area was the weak spot???

18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I've owned several, new and old. Never had a problem with any. I did not like how flat a couple of my old ones shot. I also never cared for the large style fore-end, I think they called it the competition fore-end. The beaver tailed is more comfortable to me. I also had one from the early 90's that had a factory ported barrel, didn't like that either. The one I have now is a Shot Show Special, it's perfect for me.

You sure do see a lot of BT's in the gun racks, somebody must like them.

Wayne

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Older refers to the versions that had the engraved receiver.

20. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I bought one for my fiance a couple of years ago. I bought it so she could shoot with me at the range. Good gun and fits her very well. Last year she broke her first 25 straight with it. I do agree with the above statements about the new ones being very plain. No engravings and straight grain satin wood finish. But we all know how to really get noticed, don't we? Shoot good and finish better than the K-gun & P-gun guys. I will recommend cleaning and lubrication on the receiver face and forearm iron were they meet. The one we have has some gauling on it from being dirty and not oiling/cleaning that area frequently.

Jason in PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.