1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opinion on Beretta 687 or 682 trap combos

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by knutershooter, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I was looking around at some trap gun combos in the 4000 range, certainly can't afford a Kolar, what are your opinions on a Beretta 687 or 682 combo? What other choices might someone recomend?

2. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I have a 682 combo and a 680 O/U backup and they are great.

3. trap3832

trap3832 TS Member

knutershooter, I have been looking for a nice trap gun around 4000, too and consider 682/687 combo and other ones such as Browning combo, SKB combo,used KX-5, used Ljutic, and used Kolar. Some people recommends that we have to shoot 682/687 o/u before buying because many do not shoot at the point of aim. It really bothers me and make me hesitate buying it. I hope to find right one. - Joe

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Early 682 combo's did have a problem with the ribs being different on the O/U and the Sgl. I heard this was cured. You can see the problem when you change the bbl.s around.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

IMHO the 682 Gold X Combo was the absolute best bang for the buck you will ever find. The Beretta 682 and 687 are tough dependable and will last for a long time before requiring any re-work normally. The only fault I have with the newer ones is that you are paying almost $1000 extra for the fancy receiver which is good on the eyes but won't gain you a single bird in use.

--- Chip King ---

6. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I had a 682 Gold E combo, the biggest problem I had was the trigger guard always smacking my middle finger especially with handicap loads. I owned a 686 Top Mono prior to that and didnt have the problem. However the 686 patterned to the left.

7. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I was on Joel Etchens site and yes they are very nice guns and seem like a very good value. I have an xt trap now but considering the combo. Great input on the Beretta's, I personally am just more familiar with the Brownings. Is there an advantage with the single trap versus always shooting the double barrel as I am now? I only have 30" barrels, does a longer barrel require less gun movement etc, or what are the advantages?

8. ink ball

ink ball Member

Great design. I had a 682 Unsingle combo. I think the adjustable rib design is the best on the market. However...the gun apparently didn't fit me very well because it kicked REALLY hard...even with 2 3/4 dram 1 oz loads. Make sure you shoot one before you buy one to make sure it fits you.
    On my particular 682, there was what I considered a MAJOR quality problem. The unsingle shot well left of the point of aim (about 8" left at 30 yds). I'm sure they don't all do that, but mine sure did.
    For the price range you are considering, I'd also look at the Browning XT trap unsingle combo sold by Guns Unlimited in Omaha. Also, the SKB combo is a lot of gun for the money. I've owned both the SKB and the Browning and they are both good, solid guns and were both soft shooters.

Of the three guns, the SKB is probably the best bang for the buck.

9. rrose

rrose TS Member

knuter
    I would also advise you to take a hard look at the new Browning Cynergy Combo.
    They are out at dealers now and are in your price range. They swing and feel much different from the xt combo. Just one more option for you to look at. I recently sold an xt with a DeVault custom made stock that fit me well in favor of a Cynergy and after 2 weeks am shooting it better than my xt. It is all in what fits you and if it shoots where you look but I certainly am happy with my new Cynergy.
    randy

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'm shooting a Joel Etchen 32/34 Beretta 687 unsingle combo & I highly recommend the gun. Right around the $4000 range you're contemplating.

John C. Saubak

11. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

I have a 682 Gold X combo 34/32 top single that is up for sale, only a little over a year old in excellent like new condition, 1 small light scuff in finish that could probably be buffed out, someone at a shoot hit it in the rack. I love the gun but found that it is to heavy for me shoot over 1 event, I have had 3 back surgeries and just can't hold the weight, had to go to a lighter Browning, recoil doesn't bother me as much as the weight. If you are interested I can put some pictures together and email them to you, asking $3600.00 plus shipping to your FFL dealer. (when emailing remove the xxxxx)

12. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I owned a Gold E 682 and own a 20ga 687. Both have POI problems, the 682 severe and the 687 bad.

There is a well known choke manufacturer that has had to "correct" the POI on "hundreds" of 682's. I sold mine before I knew what the problem was, but the new owner discovered that one of the barrels was 8" off on the POI from where it should have been. He called Beretta and they said that 8" was "within factory specs."

I just retested my 20 ga today and had several people look at the results. We fired at 15 yds from a secure rest. The upper barrel was fairly close but the lower was a clear 4' at 8 o'clock. That would translate to a far greater distance at clays distances.

I loved Beretta's before I owned them. I really think there are a significant number of Berettas out in the market that have a real POI problem. The experience of the choke manufacturer bears that out. By the way, Beretta heard about him and they started sending their 682's (and I think some 686/687's) to him. I asked him "how many?" and he said, "I don't remember, but lots and lots of them.

Wes Lange of Guerini told me their factory specs for POI was "within 3 cm's." That's less than an inch and a half. I now own a Guerini clays gun and it checks out --- bottom 60/40 (perfect horizontal) and top right on the button.

13. ink ball

ink ball Member

rdf59 - - Yup, Beretta gave me that same song and dance about 8" being within their tolerances. Pretty sloppy tolerances, in my opinion. My fix for my Beretta was the same as yours...I turned it in to a Guerini.

I've had more guns than I can count over the years. Probably more than a 100 from many, many different manufacturers. Of all of those guns, I've had problems with exactly three. All three were Beretta target guns. Could be that I was just very unlucky to end up with three lemons from Beretta, but I'm more inclined to believe that their quality control is suspect.

14. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've got three sitting in my safe right now - a 682X Super Trap to which I added an older 32" unsingle barrel, another 682X, and an older 682 Unsingle combo. The added barrel shot considerably higher than the O/U barrels, but it was clear why when I measured. The X models have a high rib configuration, and the measurement from the bottom of the barrel to top of the rib on the O/U is at least 0.25" more than it is on the unsingle. I ordered a Keensights add-on rib for the unsingle, and it still shoots a little high, but not as much. All three guns shoot straight, and except for the above, to the same POI.

15. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have a Joel Etchen Combo Set 32/34 with the EELL wood up grade. It is a very nice shooting gun when I get a chance to shoot it. My wife like it so much that I might have to by another gun for my self.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have a pair of 682x combos and am very pleased with them. I bought both sets used with an agreed upon evaluation period. If the guns didn't shoot well for me from the beginning I would not have bought them. Kind suprised to hear of the number of POI problems other people have had.

I don't think you will have any problems either but arrange to try it before you buy it just to make sure.

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Those POI comments surprise me, too. When we first got it, we tested my son's 687 SPII combo and all three barrels shot to the same left-right POI; the under barrel of the O/U set shot a tad higher than the over barrel.

Ed

18. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Goose2
    I think your comments are misguided. I have a sidexside Beretta that is on the mark and I like it.

Your limited experience with owning Berettas does not match others who have the same problems of POI. In addition, the Choke manufacturer personally told me he has had "lots and lots and lots". He did say later "well over a hundred". So my comments are not meant to "badmouth" the gun. I just am passing on my comments on 2 of my Berettas. Obviously, others responding to this thread have had the same.

Get some experience in the arena before you discount well intended comments made by others.

19. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Goose2

I repeat. I was responding to a question on Berettas, Brownings or other guns.

I just related from my experience the problems and observations that have been experienced by others and me, in order to expand the knowledge of the person that asked the original question. There are very positive responses from people who have had positive experiences with Berettas and there are realistic responses from people who have had negative experiences with that brand.

I have had one positive and two negative experiences. I relayed those to this forum. I certainly do not think that you have the "only" Beretta with a proper barrel registration. There are probably many more very good ones than there are poor ones. If that were not the case Beretta would not still be selling O/Us. I think that there are enough O/Us out there that have had problems, that I would suggest testing them before buying them.

By the way, the choke dealer was not trying to sell me chokes, though you assumed he was.

I did not intend to indicate that you had poor judgement by selecting a Beretta. Obviously, you chose to defend the entire world of Beretta by attacking my comments and insuiating that I "put down my crack pipe" and in your last post refer to me as a dumb as.

I think you need a little maturity.

20. ink ball

ink ball Member

My 682 Beretta to which I was referring was a combo. The O/U barrel set shot fine. The left/right POI was near perfect on both barrels. However, the unsingle shot well left of the point of aim. I don't think the POI issue with the unsingle could be classified as a "gun fit" issue given that the O/U shot fine.

Knutershooter asked for opinions on the Beretta 682/687 combo. He has received several. Most are favorable, some are not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

custom trap combo beretta 687 or eell classic high rib

older beretta 682 trap combo

opinion on 682 gold e trap combo

what are the advantages of a combo trap gun