1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OPINION ON ANGLE PORT CHOKES

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chuck DeVoid, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

On another post asking about ported vs. non-ported chokes, it was posted that Angle Port (Ballistic Specialties) was having a sale on their complete line of extended chokes, 25.00 each or 5 for 100.00... That's a heck of a deal!!! I do need chokes for a Browning 20 ga. O/U.

All the aftermarket chokes I have are Briley extended X2's. They're nice chokes, extend approx. 3/4" beyond the muzzle, clearly marked, AND HAVE NOTCHES FOR A CHOKE TUBE WRENCH. I have no experience with the Angle Port chokes, although I have no doubt that they're a quality product.

I ask if anyone has experience with the Angle Port chokes? If the markings are nicely done and how far they extend beyond the muzzle? My biggest concern however is that they have no notches for a standard choke tube wrench, and if this is a potential problem?? (unless the notches are inside like on a Briley spectrum choke)

My choke tube threads are always kept clean, light oil on the threads before installing, chokes are always removed prior to storage, and just a nudge with the wrench beyond hand tight when installing. I do know that chokes can "tighten" up a little after shooting, and this is where the notches and choke wrench provide insurance.

Again, it sounds like a great buy from Angle Port, and I'm sure the chokes are quality. I am a bit concerned however if they don't have wrench notches, and if this is a concern.

Thanks very much for any information,

Bill

2. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Chuck

I ordered a set of five, specifying the constrictions. They are available in .000 to .040 constriction, in .005 increments. The patterning board showed me that I needed to use a .005 tighter Angle Port choke to get the same pattern density I was getting with a Briley Spectrum extended. Uniformity was about the same. This was with my reloads.

Two numbers are etched on the outside of the extended part. One number is the bore diameter of the barrel that the tube was made to be used with. The other number is stating the amount of that particular tubes constriction. The lack of notches was not an issue for me because they did not perform any better or worse than a Briley, so I went back to using the Briley's I already had. The one inch long parallel section initially had me intrigued though.

They extend 5/8 of an inch from the muzzle and are knurled.

If one is in need of a set of choke tubes, the price can't be beat. The finish is really impressive. They are a very nice looking tube inside and out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
angle port

angle port chokes

angle porting choke reviews
angle porting xtremerange choke
ballistic specialties choke tube wrench

ballistic specialties chokes