1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opinion on a Winchester 101 Black diamond trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Murphy, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy

Murphy Member

I have an opportunity to purchase a model 101 black diamond, anyone out there with experience on the gun. Dependable? godd shooter etc. Value if in good to excellent condition. Has ported barrel and chokes??

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

I would shoot it before purchasing...They have a rep of having uncomfortable recoil. One of my shooting buddy's had one years ago and I can attest it kicked like a mule

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: uncomfortable recoil

The first thing I thought of when I saw the subject....

4. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I have been shooting one for 5 yrs now and never had a problem with recoil. It has been a good shooter for me. Make the gun fit you. Don't expect an off the shelf gun to fit like a glove. Bill

5. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

I have two of them,when it gets to be some serious shooting the Pgun gets put away and out comes the Diamond Grade.I lenthend the forcing cone and magna ported the barrel.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Unpleasant recoil is code for "kicks the crap out of you". The later 101 Classic Doubles guns are overbored and a pleasure to shoot.

7. shaggist

shaggist Member

My 101 has the same felt recoil as any of my other 12 gauge break-open guns. I adjusted the LOP and the comb to my style of shooting, and the recoil is no worse than any of my other guns. IF IT DON'T FIT, IT'S GONNA KICK.

Jack

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I bought a Winchester 101 Trap in 1969. Shot the gun for ten years. It performed very well, I never had a misfunction of any kind, and I never felt the recoil was any different from Browning Broadway guns, or Model 12s that I also shot. I am not sure where that recoil scare got started, but I bet if you compare the recoil of a 101 over/under to a BT-99, the 99 would kick worse, and look how many of those are being shot out there without complaint!

Anyway, my humble opinion is...shoot the gun first if you can. If it is not uncomfortable for you and you get a good price, buy the gun. It should keep shooting longer than you will. Martinpicker

9. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Right - shoot it first. But saying that, I have 5 and love them - 50,000 rounds a year. No failures, and excellent craftsmanship unlike the new ones. Does not have any greater felt recoil that Citori/BT99/Beretta, etc.

10. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Have a Diamond Grade 101 unsingle, with a gracoil and had the gun fit to me. It got me to the 27 yd line in 4500 birds, as long as I pointed it right, it crushed them, fixed full .040 constriction, lengthened forcing cone, for me 90/10 POI and it is for sale. I just could not keep a release trigger in it (currently pull trigger), switched to an MX10TS combo. But that 101 unsingle, did very fine by me. But I am averaged sized guy 5' 9" 185 # and it is 14" LOP was very easy to get it to fit. Scott

11. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I can tell ya they kick the shit outta me. I got one for my wife and it gave her a black eye in one round. My thought was bad form tho she was shooting really well at the time w/ a Beretta. So I shot the gun - three shells and that was it for me. Sold it to a guy at the club and he loved it. Go figger.

best of luck

12. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I had one too. Shot for a couple of years and eventually discovered that the the cheek slap was caused by a faulty mount and the stock's pitch. Corrected both, added about six ounces of coins to the bolt hole and it shot fine.

I also had it Magniported which did nothing to end the cheek slap.

Rollin

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I got to shoot a friends and it felt great to me...and after that was wanting to find a mint unsingle combo but never found one realistically priced,..that lust fell by the wayside after I got to shooting Berettas and Browning Pluses

14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Had a 101 combo, nice gun well put together with good quality. Like others it pounded me until I had the forcing cones lengthened, in stock reducer installed. I guy I sold it to loves it and still has it as far as I know.

Surfer

15. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

I could never quite figure this out. While at the Grand, my son and I wore out the demo guns Browning, Beretta, Kriegoff, ect. The Citori and the XT had very tame recoil to me, but the 101 ate me alive.

They are all made by Browning, but must be cut quite differently. I'm a bit on the scrawny side though 5'-10" and 150 lbs.

regards,

Todd

16. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

The 101's were not made by the same company as Brownings although both came from Japanese companies. Lengthening the forcing cones on the 101 was a great help reducing recoil, adding in a recoil reducer calmed it way down as I mentioned earlier.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester 101 black diamond

winchester 101 diamond trap

winchester black diamond

winchester black diamond model 101