1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on a handgun wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've been looking at the Ruger LCP380. I wondered if anyone here has one or has shot one and what their opinion of it is? I have a couple of Ruger firearms and have been quite happy with them. I have found the LCP 380 for under $300 and thought it a pretty good price for a small caliber auto. Any thoughts??

I am open to suggestions of other small caliber autos but price needs to be comparable to the Ruger. Thanks

Matt
    grntitan_2009_2503200.jpg

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I think its a great pocket pistol...my brother carries one for his CCW and at our indoor range its a very accurate and reliable piece...hard to beat for that money

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Rugers are very good guns, I own a few. When it comes to .380 I have a Beretta 84FS 12+1 but it's an expensive piece. In the price range you're looking at the Browning BDA is hard to beat and can be found in very nice used condition. Virtually close to the same as the Beretta, 6+1 I believe. Good luck.

4. topgun

topgun TS Member

I have a LCP380 with a Crimson Trace laser on it and I find it an awesom combo in terms of a concealed carry gun. It's so handy to carry and point it more then makes up for its relative lack of power. I would say if you have to use it use all seven!

5. grntitan

Thanks for the comments thus far. As i said i have a couple Rugers and have always been happy. Just wanted to make sure their quality hadn't faultered as some companies do over time.

Matt

6. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Puny CCW guns have TOO much potential for excess paperwork.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Friends don't let friends carry mouse guns.

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Do you know I carry a 45? Because they don't make a 46.

9. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I stop by a local shop this week and ask about this Ruger and the S&W 380 bodyguard. They recommended the S&W. It is a little thicker and has the laser in the frame. You might want to check it out a little cheap than Ruger with CT.
    Tom

10. pull!

pull! TS Member

At this moment, my LCP is sitting nicely in my left Levis pocket.

I bought a Sig 232 P to carry, and I love it, but it is too heavy to carry every day, and doesn't fit in my pocket nearly as well.

I have shot only one magazine full from the LCP, and decided that I would only shoot it if I was either mad at someone, or scared.

Its kick reminded me why I don't like to shoot any of my 357s.

WARREN DIXON

Wichita Falls, Texas

11. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Titan, the bigger bore guys always like to jump on the .380 like it's a cap gun, but don't be disuaded from buying one. None of them will let you center one in their chest, it's plenty lethal in the hands of a practiced shooter. I hope they don't turn this into another boring caliber slugfest. I have a .50AE but I don't carry it around with me or blast the 9 and 10mm's as pea shooters. I have every confidence in my .380 for carry. I practice with it and know how to shoot it. That's the most important aspect, regardless of caliber. Good luck with your choice of gun.

12. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

WHATEVER you choose.....Plan to shoot it a LOT.
    I don't understand people who carry a handgun to (potentially) protect THEIR LIFE or the life of another....and won't make the commitment to become EXTREMELY proficient with their choice.

13. grntitan

Thanks for all the helpful information. I'll be sure to check out the S&W too before i buy. As with all my guns i try and to shoot them enough to become fairly proficient with it before i'd ever consider for carry. I'm not sure if i did buy one it would be an every day carry gun. I have others that i'm more comfortable with at this point. I was really wanting something alot smaller for the occasions when a larger handgun was harder to hide. As for the caliber arguement, i'll take a .22 over nothing ANYDAY. Thanks again.

ks5shooter(or anyone)--Can you elaborate on the recall?

Matt

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I personally carry a Keltec but had a Ruger also. One thing I really liked about the Ruger was the grip extension that came with it. It fits in your hand better and is simple to add on. Polish the slide and it will shoot anything you put in it. This was advice from Ruger due to a problem with some ammo not wanting to feed and it worked. Keltec gave the same advice. Jackie B.

15. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I was kinda of surprised to see a pistol that looked like a named brand version of what KELTEC has been selling for years in a gunshop.

But that is OK as the guys I know that carry KELTEC's have had nothing bad to say about them for 20 years now.

The only problems I have seen are caused by DIY bubbas and those have been repairable!

If Ruger has caught up with demand, and you don't have to go on a waiting list, buy it and enjoy! If they haven't caught up, get on the waiting list, buy a KELTEC and enjoy it until the Named brand brother get to you and then enjoy them both!

Al Lingham

16. Loyac

Loyac Member

More expensive than the Ruger, another good choice is the Kahr P380.

17. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It is a good little gun. You have to be careful how you poaition your finger on the trigger or you will not be able to handle the long trigher pull. One of the sticky pocket holsters makes for better pocket cary.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I carry an LCP as a pocket gun...really like it.
    Heavier carry-Walther PPS .40 or Sig P250 Subcompact .40.

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If I were buying today I would consider the Kahr .380. I love my Kahr CW-40. It is my normal companion in a belt holster.

Jim Skeel

skeeljc_2008_030342.jpg

20. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I have one it functions flawlessly but (at least in my hands) it is for close quarters shooting only? It's very small and hard to control but it does what it's intended to do. I would shoot one first if possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.