1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opinion on 101 trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by berettagold53954, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

thinking of getting a bottom single combo i have had 682,xt,90t,1100s,870and an sx1 but besides 90t 101 just feels nice but i heard they werent a good gun what do you guys think

2. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

I have some older win 101 skeet guns and love them. Got rid of the 12 ga. 12ga kick kick kick. Jess

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Hardest kicking gun I have ever shot with a standard trap load. Jeff

4. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Jaw breaker! had one in the seventies.. Mike

5. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

gun shoots super! But they sure do kick...used to get a bloody cheek when I shot one when I was a kid. But they are probably one of the best shooting guns ever made for the money.
    Puablo

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I'm confused; how can a gun be one of the best shooting guns ever if it beats up the shooter to the point of drawing blood when it's shot??

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I have a 101 O/U that I learned on putting 300-500 per week through it and I shoot 3 dram loads. Most in one day was 250 pair of doubles. No Recoil reduction unit and I have never felt it was much diffrent than other guns I've shot. Shoot it and see. They are great guns for the money.

YMMV

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Ahhh ther is something about a Winchester that keeps you coming back. Bill

9. mad frank

mad frank TS Member

I have a Win 101 combo with the 32 inch top single barrel. I have no recoil reduction and I feel that this gun has less felt recoil than my Rem 870 TB or my BT99. It feels comfortable when I shoulder it, and it swings very smoothly. Mine shoots 3-3/4" high at 39 yards (rather flat) after patterning the POI using Neil Winston's method at 13 yards. I shot some of my best scores with my 101.

Frank M.

10. warren

warren Member

I used to shoot a 101 & it was ok but the coments about it kicking are true. I now have an Browning XT & it's like velvet compared to the 101. I don't know whether the 101 was back bored or not but that could be the problem, the Browning is.

warren

11. quicky

quicky Member

They do kick but I shot my o/u well in doubles, used a Ljutic in other disciplines. Averaged 94.82 in doubles on 4500 in 2006 target year. Switched to Kolar and my average went down to 94.34 on 5800 in 2007. I really do like the tapered rib. Quicky 3604522

12. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i might pass on one quite a few people have told me there flat shooters but people said that about 90ts too i had a low rib raised comb as high as it would go at 40yds the pattern didnt start till 18in above the dot and i shot it great finished with 93.5 on 1700 targets last yr in caps what guns do you think i could get this height out of again??????? man i miss my 90t i thinks its the gun ill always regret selling but my daughter is still worth it

13. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Have 5 - love them all (2 unsingles, 2 skeet, 1 20ga)! I have 2 un-singles, and they are wawesome shooters. The kick is a little hard, but I shoot lite loads, and that solved that issue. Mine both shoot 70/30, and crush targets. Highly reliable and sweet. Mine (and miy freinds) see about 5,000 rds each summer.

14. nicky

nicky Member

I currently shoot a Kolar however I shot a Winchester Diamond grade 101 unsingle for many year's. How did I like the 101 ?, well let's just say I still have 3 of them and don't plan on getting rid of them. Some say they kick hard and I think that's all due to the fit. Remember the 101's were one of the first to have a stock with cast off stocks along with the "old" typical narrow, pointed comb which could and would bite you pretty hard. On mine I put adjustable comb's which are a 1/4" wider with more of a radius and with soft pads on them and added pitch to the stock with a Kickezz modified trap pad. The end result is one of the softest shooting guns I've ever shot. I have had others shoot them and all agreed. Let's say it took me awhile to get use to the kick of the Kolar (hard to believe isn't it). Once out at Jaquas I had them mic the bore on my 101 and it mic'd at 736 and did not vary a .0005" (1/2 of a thousandth) the length of the barrel. They even got a different bore mic to check the results and it to mic'd the same. Their response was that's one in a million. And they are chrome bores also. Mine shot a pattern at 80/20 perfect for me. At times I think I should have continued to shoot the 101 and spent the money on a custom stock as what is on my Kolar. Oh and my 101 gave me a 99% 16 yard ATA average in 2005 and took me to the 26 yard line. Oh and to answer your question, they are great guns in my mind (the Diamond Grades), I wish they still made then with today's upgraded standard's.

Kevin

15. Superdog1

Superdog1 TS Member

i LOVED the 101 unsingle combo i had. seemed all thre barrells shot in the same spot. Broke my 100 straight at the grand with it. The young shooter that bought it from me loves it also, I will say it had a graco and an adj comb. It did fit good though. I di have a few firing pin problems, but was told they were put in wrong by who ever had it before me. Good solid trap gun, broke decent scores, and felt good all day long. never had a recoil problem

16. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I started ATA with my 101 field grade. The grand kids now use it for pheasants. I have a top single trap and 2 O/U pigeon grade. I have registered over 200,000, all with a 101! They 'kick', but so does every other brand I've tried out. The biggest problem I've had is breaking firing pins and(knock on wood)I haven't broken one lately. I carry spares and the tools necessary to replace one. Takes about 10 minutes. I still have my Dad's old Model 97, It also 'kicks'! Some of my friends say I'm hard headed, that's probably why I still shoot Winchesters!

17. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Any of the 101's I ever shot killed on one end and maimed on the other....Shot in leagues with a guy that weighed about 130# and he had a 101... That gun beat that poor man every time he pulled trigger....

18. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I started shooting the 101 about a year ago and love it. I never had a recoil problem with any gun I shot with. Its just my opnion but alot of people are very recoil sensitive. An old gunsmith told me years ago that most recoil problems is just the fit. Weight has alot to do with felt recoil but if you want to tie a railroad iron on the barrel then the recoil would not be noticeable. The way he felt about recoil is get the gun to fit and you can get any gun to shoot well.
    Well I don't know but he was probably right. bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.