1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion of the mec automate???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RAScott, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAScott

RAScott Member

I am considering changing my mec 9000 from manual to the auto by adding the automate to the reloader . Have any one tried the automate and thier opinions of the unit. I roughly load around 10k per year.
    Bob S

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

I converted an existing 9000 last years and would not do it again. It was a hassel getting the old reloader to work with the new system. You will be better off getting a new reloader set up for the automate than trying to convert.

After I got it working I love it.

Tom

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I conveted a old 9000 (old being 10 years old), to a new automate with out any problems, its wonderful, you will ot be disappointed..

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I sent my 5 year old 9000G back to the factory and had them go through it and mate it to a new Automate. It is great. I reloaded so many rounds, when I first got it back, I have not been able to shoot them all. Easy, smooth and great looking and working reloads.

JON

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My buddy and i converted his 9000 to the Automate. I am pretty mechanically inclined he is very un-mechanically inclined. After he messed with it a while, he called me and we converted it with the help of one call to MEC. My buddy had assembled a section(the Automate linkage parts) wrong which led us to confusion. I wouldn't call it a real simple conversion but actually pretty straight forward. MEC is more than happy to help you over the phone.JMO---Matt

6. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Or...you can buy this one already set up....GaryL.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I obtained a new 9000GN and an AutoMate II from Jim Benn to review for Shotgun Sports Magazine shortly after his "II" version came out. The conversion was easy and I don't think it took me more than an hour to go from opening the boxes to loading shells. A month later, I liked it so much that I sent Jim a check instead of returning his equipment! My arthritic shoulder joints thank me for buying it every time I use it.

Ed

8. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

I have had mine all summer and it is the best thing I have bought in a long time.

It is so nice to know that it makes every shell the same. You just have to watch supply bottles often cause it is so easy to run them out in a short time reloading.

My vote. . . Get one they are great...

9. 870

870 Well-Known Member

How much of a time saver is it compared to a plain 9000GN? Or is it just easier due to pushing the buttons instead of pulling the lever?

10. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

my dad just put his older 9000G (purchased 2001) onto an AutoMate and had zero problems. He loves it. Definately not a must have but it sure is nice!!

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

870, time saved is relevant to how you reload. If you're on a speed quest, the AutoMate cycles the loader in 3.8 seconds. If you leave the finished shell ejection feature operational and throw hulls and wads at it, you can load a lot in a little bit of time. I prefer to take my time and disabled the finished shell ejection feature so I have to remove each shell by hand, which gives me an opportunity to give it a quick visual inspection before placing it in a MEC E-Z pak for boxing. Better to find the first shell with a problem than to find a bucket filled wih them.

It IS a lot easier than pulling a handle, especially if doing that is painful for you.

Ed

12. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

One of the members at my club bought the Automate and exchanged it for a hydraulic Mec. He said he like the hydraulic much better because he says it gives him better control....he can vary the down stroke cycle with the foot petal to make it as fast or slow as he wants. He also says the hydraulic loads much faster because the foot petal frees his hands so he can grab wads and hulls while the machine is cycling rather than have both his hands on the buttons.

13. Erik W

Erik W Member

Does an automate take up more bench space than a 9000h where power is on the floor?

14. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

He also says the hydraulic loads much faster because the foot petal frees his hands so he can grab wads and hulls while the machine is cycling rather than have both his hands on the buttons.

On my Automate ll you don't need to hold the buttons, just push them. I think the units sold by MEC require you to keep the buttons pushed.GaryL.

15. slick50

slick50 Member

Robert... I bought an Auto mate from Gamaliel Supply last spring. They are great and, contrary to what was said above, easy to set up especially for a mechanical mind such as yours.... It might take some fine tuning and adjustments once you mount it on the machine but when you get it fine tuned you won't look back. It makes loading a pleasure... The only thing I will mention is most of the bolts and nuts should be snugged up unless the directions tell you to leave them loose. When I first got it my Automate did some funny things until I tightened a few nuts on the mounting hardware.

Bill

16. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I will only add that my Automate took the drudgery out of loading and also allowed my left upper arm and shoulder to "heal up". I also have a hydraulic 9000 so I can say that both have their small advantages, mostly personal opinion. In either case you won't one damn bit sorry if you're loading 10k or more per year.

By the way, in the case of holding the buttons down on the Automate, I devised a linkage scheme that depresses both buttons with a foot pedal. It's a little bit faster, but more so, eliminates a lot of mistakes as you can be more deliberate with your hands. If safety is an issue with you then don't get a hydraulic, it is a little faster and you need to pay attention. Going a little bit further on that subject, a friend of mine managed to run the primer punch on his hand operated Grabber through his left thumb, requiring that he push his thumb off the punch with two fingers using his right hand. Just goes to show that any safety device can be violated if you try hard enough.

Anyway, go for it, you won't regret it...

JMO

Larry

17. RAScott

RAScott Member

This sounds like it is a no brainer. it appears that the loader can be moved around after it is mounted and adjusted. I can load a large amout of shells but the fastest way is to be standing and do it so i can watch the bottles and the primer drops.

Can you install the hydralic unit as an option?

Bob S

18. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

It's great- I converted mine to a foot switch and it improved the ease of use even more!

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Mine is a dedicated 9000e and was a snap.

Loaded up a dozen boxes this AM till ran out of powder.
    mia_2008_030333.jpg

mia_2008_030338.jpg

20. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

Bob, I bought one a few months ago from CAC in Penn. It is a great set up , I switch off between 20ga and 12ga right now,28ga on the way.
    Forget hydro this is the way to go ,no constant noise ,no hoses. You can carry it to a different location (take the lead bottle off) . You have to set up each 9000G, (take off handle and add link kit) . Take your time ,just keep your eye on the primer drop and the level of the bottles. Go for it and don't look back . It's slicker then snot on a door knob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec 9000 hydraulic reloader reviews
mec 9000 reloader with automate
mec 9000gn versus mec automate

mec automate

mec automate alternative
mec automate problems
mec automate review
mec automate with or without links