1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion of Pelican Case for Over Under?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dannyw68, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

Does anybody have experience with Pelican cases for use with shotguns? A friend of mine uses them for all of his high end camera gear. He says that they are waterproof, airtight, brute strong and are great for taking on airplanes because they are virtually indestructible. They aren't much to look at though. But for $200 shipped with custom fit foam, it doesn't seem like a bad deal.

I have heard some people say that airtight cases will lead to rust though. I don't know why exactly. What do you think?

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

They are indestructible. An excellent choice. I wouldn't leave a damp gun in any closed case.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Try Thermodyne via the link above.

Eric

4. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

They work great but not for long term storage. They are so air tight that anaerobic bacteria can develop. I have heard of photographers putting expensive len's in them and leaving them for a very long term. Upon opening them and checking the lenses they appeared to have spider webs on the inside of the glass.

Upon further examination it was discovered that anaerobic bacteria had etched the glass lenses rendering them useless. Anaerobic bacteria is the bacteria that lives without oxygen. So it appears the case is completely air tight.

5. 682LINY

682LINY Member

when I fly,,,I use pelican,,,,I have bought extra foam inserts and set it up for 2 o/u shotguns,,,2 varmint rifles or 2 big game rifles,,,but thinking I may need another case for south dakota,,,,2 guns are not enough for that great state

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Pelican Case 1700

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have two guns that I foolishly left stored in a foam lined case. They were clean, dry, and lightly oiled when I put them away. Now they have blotches on the blueing where the pattern of the foam discolored the barrels. I have left a gun in my Americase for fairly long periods of time, and had no trouble. All I can think is that there is some chemical in the foam that causes a reaction. Since reblueing the barrels costs about as much as the difference for a good case, I wish I would have spent the money up front. Be careful how long you store in that foam. Good Luck

8. dws

dws TS Member

I have a Pelican 1700 and like ysr_racer I have it set up for two guns. A Comp 1 32 inch and a TM 34 inch. I think its a great case at a fantastic price point. You can often find the case with foam for < $200 on ebay.

Positives: Rock Solid - Heavy Duty, You can change the foam inserts to accommodate various guns or cargo. As far as traveling and going through the airport - it has wheels which makes it easy. Scuffs and scratches on this case don't bother me. Its a very practical, pragmatic case.. nothing fancy

Negatives: It is a little large and bulky if your only going to carry one gun. No eye candy, no felt or velvet or brushed aluminum like high end cases.

9. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

I have both the Storm and Pelican cases. The Storm has stronger hinges and better latches. The airlines have broken several of my Pelicans, no damage to the contents and the company replaced the damaged cases with no problem.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Great for travel, but not for storage. I use them for my dive and camera gear. Airtight and waterproof. Storm might have the edge in strength.

11. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I use a Tuffpak takedown case when I travel. I cram my gun (in a soft case), a ton of other stuff in it.

Never had any problems, and it's built like a tank.

[​IMG]

I put my shotgun in a Boyt Takedown case, then I put the case inside the Tuffpak.

Next I pack all my clothes and gear around it.

This serves two purposes.

1. I don't have to pay for an extra piece of luggage.

2. When I get where I'm going, I have a soft case to carry my gun around.

The best park about a Tuffpak is that nobody knows that it's a gun case.

Here's what the soft case I use looks like.

[​IMG]

12. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

DB, you're right, I forgot about the 34" single barrel shooters. I'm hoping that Tuffpak retools and makes their case a few inches longer.

I shoot a 30" Browning, so I'm OK.

13. Twixter

Twixter Member

Dannyw68:

I'm Mick Mcginley with warwick guncases. We do not have any waterproof or air thight cases, But I invite you to go to www.warwickguncases.com to view some of the best cases built for the money. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Phone 608-444-6233 or E-Mail at twixter@verizon.net.

Thanks in advance
    Mick McGinley

14. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Starlight cases are made by vets and are one of the best I have used. See websight above.

Bob Schultz

15. bgf

bgf Active Member

Danny,

For the price you cannot beat a Warwick case. I have had several in the past.

Pelican = heavey.

Bernie

16. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Actually, there's no such thing as a TSA, FAA, or airline approved gun case.

The TSA just states that it has to be hard sided and lockable. Any case that fits that description will do. I know a guy that travels with a hard side, lockable golf case, and he's fine.

Plus these are about 1/3 the cost of a "gun" case.

[​IMG]

17. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

The golf case is a great way to go. It does not scream "gun inside" and causes less attention at the counter during check in. BB

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Had a Browning Travel Vault. Looked a lot like the Pelican. When flying with my BT99 the case came out on the luggage handler looking fine. Unfortunately, the stock was broken and the barrel was bent. Since the case looked ok I didn't check the gun at the airport. The airline wouldn't do anything since I had taken the gun off airport property.

Get a metal case. It'll show damage if the oafs handling luggage get careless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
building a case for an over under shotgun

pelican 1700 shotgun

pelican breakdown shotgun

pelican over under case

pelican over under shotgun case

pelican shotgun takedown case

pelican take down shotgun case

will my over under shotgun fit in a pelican 1700