1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion of MEC Super 600 Progressive Loader?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dannyw68, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

Hello everyone,

I found an ad on craigslist for a MEC Super 600 Progressive 410 reloader but have zero experience with MEC's. I am buying it for my dad as he shoots a ton of skeet but is too stubborn to buy a progressive. He currently uses a MEC Jr single stage and shoots about 200-300 shells a week.

The guy selling it is asking $75 with 8 powder bushings and one shot bushing. He says it is in excellent condition and is set up to load 2 1/2" shells. The only problem is that the seller lives far enough away that I cannot go see it in person. Does anybody have experience with this loader and is this a good deal assuming good condition?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I thought 600s were single stage. Could be mistaken but the 650s were progressive.

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

My bad. There was a 600 super and it was progressive. Looks pretty good in the MEC pdf file. Good price. Buy it. Should be parts still available.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Super 600 was basically a 650 without the automatic shot/powder bar mechanism. That wouldn't be a problem for me because I never trust those to work and always hold the latch down anyway.

It probably doesn't have automatic primer feed either, but if load a hundred shells and place the primer when you insert a new hull in stage one it becomes a and automatice operation that doesn't add a minute to the time it takes to load 100. If it does have a primer feed, it will be Generation 1 that takes one the 'tray and scrapper' tools to load the tube. Doubtful you can buy one of those if it isn't included. You MAY be able add a Generation II or Generation III primer feed, but then you're getting into more expensive for a very old machine.

And like the 650, resizing is an issue.

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

2.5" .410s wobble around a lot on Mec Super 600-650s, spilling shot. You're much better off with a P-W for .410s

6. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have a Super 600 in 20 ga. and it is a progressive and can be upgraded to operate like a 650. Once you get use to it there will be no reason to upgrade. This was told to me by a MEC rep and he was right. Reloading any .410 shell takes a lot of patience.

7. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I have a MEC Super 600 in 12 guage. I bought it new in the early 1970's and it has worked well since then. The difference between it and a 650 is that it does not have an automatic shutoff so you do not drop powder on an empty stage. The manual shutoff works better than the auto shutoff on my 650's anyway. Other than that feature they are exactly the same.
    My 600 came with a resizer that screws onto one of the stations but I bought a supersizer (same mechanism as the grabber comes with) and resized all the shells before using them in the press. The automatic primer feed uses a tube instead of a tray to feed the promers but is is automatic. The tube holds 100 primers and it drops primers much more reliable that the ones on my grabbers and 9000 models, it is just a pain to fill. Although I have a 9000 to load my trap loads I still use the Super 600 to load skeet loads.
    I would not be afraid of a buying one if the price was right.
    Good luck! Bob

8. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll buy it and try it out. If he doesn't like it, we can always sell it I guess.

9. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

dannyw68,---

If you get the supper 600 and it does not have the manual bar lock and you want a new primer tube filler tray I have both for 15.00 + sipping

thanks
    lee
    [​IMG]

10. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and let you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
difference between mec 600 jr and mec super 600 reloader
differencebetween mec 600 and mec 650
early mec 600
mec 600 super

mec super 600

mec super 600 parts

mec super 600 progressive reloader

new parts for the mec super 600 reloader