1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion of Beretta 687eell & Krieghoff KX5 Single

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolarshooter1981, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolarshooter1981

kolarshooter1981 TS Member

Just looking on getting opinions of either of the guns. Pros & Cons, Opinions, ect. Ive had 682's & Kolars. Just looking for opinions on Beretta 687 EELL Unsingles and KX5 singles?
    Thanks

2. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

IMO..the 687 is a lot of flash and not quite the quality of the 682 you owned and not even close to your Kolar. I think of it as a very nice hunter (in the O/U version) masquerading as a target gun. The KX5 doesnt have near the bling but is higher quality.

3. kolarshooter1981

Thanks for your help. I dont know much about the KX-5, but i do appreciate your help.

4. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Beretta's model numbering can cause some confusion. All of the 680 series have the same basic action.

The 687 EELL is a upscale 682 with hand engraved sideplates, higher grade wood, target barrels and (except for very early ones) triggers with adjustable length of pull.

687's are mostly field grade guns, but there are versions with target style ribbed barrels and better wood. They do not have replaceable barrel shoulders, vented side ribs on the barrels, or adjustable triggers found on the 682 and 687 EELL.

Michael Goines

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I own a 686 combo set and a KX-5 trap gun. They are both good guns, however the KX-5 has an adjustable rib that the 686 doesn't have. The KX-5 is also a heavier gun by at least a pound. They both shoot well, but the ability to adjust the rib to 100% high gives a definite advantage when shooting handicaps.

Kevin

6. kolarshooter1981

Any opinion what is better on the feel of swing, recoil, ect.??

7. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I had to add weight to the Beretta the slow my swing down. I was flipping that gun all over the place until I did that. My last punch I received in ATA came from shooting the 686 after I added weight to it.

The KX-5 is already that weight (a little over 9 pounds) and it shoots so nice. The birds evaporate from the 16 with an IM choke. But the difference in quality of the guns is very noticeable. The KX-5 is built like a tank. Plus there are allot less moving parts inside the receiver of the KX-5 versus the Beretta. Don't get me wrong, the Beretta's are very nice guns. But the reliability factor is on the side of the Kreighoff.

I have had instances where my Beretta would fail to shoot because of a bad spring. Once I got the springs replaced, all is good.

I took care of the recoil thing by adding a 1" thick kick-eez pad on each gun. I can shoot all day and not have any shoulder issues.

Kevin

8. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I have a 687 "hybrid" (687 receiver with 682 barrels, a Joel Etchen speciality) that I think is one of best trap guns I have ever had. The only difference in the 682 and 687 receivers (other than the external decoration) is that the 687 does not have the adjustable trigger of the 682, although the adjustable trigger can be installed if desired-other internals are the same. As to "feel", that is an individual perception. I personally like the feel of the Beretta over the KX5, but many feel the opposite. Just depends on what you like, how well either fits you (or can be adjusted to fit) and how you perceive recoil. Either one will last you a lifetime of trap shooting, if you care for them.

Jim R

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm with Jim. I've owned numerous Krieghoffs including three KS-5s and one of the first KX-5s. In 2005, I bought my son his Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon II top single combo, one of Joel Etchen's hybrids with 682 barrels. I shot it a little and found it so comfortable to shoot that I said that my next trap combo would be one of those. In 2008, I accompanied a friend to Joel's - we left with two 687 SPII unsingle combos and Joel had a used KX-5 in his inventory.

I'll agree that the KX-5 might be a bit more durable than a Beretta 68x gun. But does the average trapshooter shoot enough for that to be a factor? And if/when it does, I would imagine that Berettas cost a little less to repair. Fortunately, neither my son or I have had to find out so far.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you add the adjustable butt pad to a krieghoff kx6

care of a berretta 687 trap

how to add weight to a beretta 687

krieghoff kx 5 opinions

krieghoff kx 6 opinions

krieghoff kx-5 vs kx-6

what does a krieghoff kx5 weigh