1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion needed---Beretta 391 or Win SX3

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Still looking for opinion of the best auto for hunting---3.5" chamber

Beretta 391 or Win SX3---Thanks---MYSTIC---

2. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I just don't see the super x 3 holding up like a 391 and yes i have two friends that have the super x guns and both have had problems and neede parts or returned the guns to Winchester for service. Thye are both waterfowlers and sporting shooters so the guns have seen some use but both have had problems. The 391's are just tried and proven over and over. Not seen any issues with the xtremas of any kind. Best 3.5" gun available period. And i have owned several benelli's. The 391 series shoots soft and does not need cleaned the entire season from my experience.

3. shrek

shrek Active Member

the beretta xtrema has proven to be a real blue collar workhorse that seems to take the most edge off the stout loads.

4. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have both,Beretta has a lot less felt recoil than the SX3. I do not shoot 31/2" as I find that they pattern poorly, kick like a mule and cost like hell.My choice is the Extrema II. Bill

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Extrema II It's not even close in my book.

SW

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

They shouldn't even be in the same sentence! SX3 is junk.

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Winchester Super X3 is a great gun. Have had one for two years with no trouble while using it for waterfowl hunting. Very soft recoil. Also have a Browning Gold Fusion that is much the same gun in 3-inch version that has never had a FTF dove hunting or shooting informal skeet/sporting clays since it came out several years ago. Check out the more popular waterfowl forums. Comments are very good for the Super X3.

DoubleAuto

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Xtrema all the way. I think it's important to note that the Xtrema has the 391 in namesake only. It has practically nothing in common with the 391 and almost no parts interchange between the 2. The shim system is the same and you can interchange stocks with slight modification if desired, but otherwise nothing in common.

9. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Browning or SX3 no comparison!!!!! You better be a machinist and have a grinding wheel to keep your Beretta going...Just ask Tron...Bottom line there are more moving parts on the 391 and frankly the design is old and antiquated....The SX3 and Browings are the fastest shooting softest recoiling most reliable guns made...They also go through 5,000 round endurance testing to insure fault tolerance.....

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

hehehe....391 is junk! no SX3 is junk! so which one is it guys :)

11. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

There is a new SX3 out featured in the latest issue of Sporting Clays Magazine. Comes with an adjustable comb and a totally new finish. Might be worth checking it out. Barrel lengths available are 28, 30 and 32 inches. JM

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Tron---Please explain what is it with you and Luckyman?---I'm trying to make a decision between the SX3 and the Extrema---He says to ask you about how the Beretta won't hold up---MYSTIC----

13. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Hey Mystic...There is nothing between Tron and I other than a little brand loyalty and competitive spirit...I use a Browning and am very satisfied with it and Tron uses a Beretta and is obviousely very satisified as well. There are allot of opinions on this site about what gun is the best and that's just what they are opinions....One question...If you are satisfied with the Winchester product why would you even consider something else?

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Lucky---I have a SX2 and have had great success with it and I am only looking for a 26"bbl and the new SX3 is a lb lighter than the SX2---They want $500.00 for a new bbl so I might as well buy a new gun---Another thing that bothers me is a friend had a SX2 and had bad jamming problems---sent it back to Win twice and still jammed so he traded it for a SX3 and is happy so far---If you look at some of the above post they are saying Win SX3 is junk---90% so far are leading me towards the extrema---Hope that ans. your ?---Thanks---MYSTIC---

15. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I'm sure you can find issues with any gun if there are enough of them made...It sounds like your friend got a lemon it happens..You on the other hand did not get a lemon...I would base your choice on your experience not someone else's...

Just a thought...

16. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Mystic there are many places to get good reliable info regarding the guns you are talking about. There are many more 391-xtremas sold to date than the SX2-3 guns and there are many more issues with the SX guns than the Berettas. I have a friend that is sx3 nuts and has had to send two back to Winchester for replacemnets. Not parts but the entire gun were replaced. They simply have issues and he is much like Luckyman he refuses to get away from them. He sold one to a friend of ours and it did not make it thru two seasons of waterfowl hunting before it was returnmed to wincheaster and replaced. When the new gun returned he sold it and bought the xtrema II and has had no issues the last two seasons. I am not basing my response on emotion or loyalty i am telling you how five different SX guns have have performed for my friends. And when you look at them and shoot them side by side you can tell the difference in the quality by just shutting the chamber and stripping them apart. Mass produced stamped out parts of the Winchester look exactly like what they are. The Italian Betretta parts are much nicer and are the best autos built today. There is also a reason you will see 90% of those responding to this thread stating the Beretta is the way to go. Not even in the same league if you are looking for durability and trouble free long term use and abuse.

17. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Hey Bad 303.....I don't shoot an SX3 and have never had to MY BROWNING back for any reason so comparing me to your friend just doesn't hold water as the say...BTW...I can go through history of threads on Trapshooters about all sorts of issues with Beretta auto's...Also there are no stamped parts on the Winchestes or Browining so get your facts staight...

I will take my Belgium made gun over any Italian POS any day!!!

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Lucky---Is the Win SX3 made in Belgium---I know that the Win and Browning are about the same---Are the parts interchangeable?---Thanks---Mystic---

19. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Just like the Brownings....Parts are made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal....

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Lucky---Do you sell them or have a source that does?---I can get them local but will go for the best buy---MYSTIC---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

a391 vs sx3

beretta xtrema2 vs winchester sx2

sx3 vs 391

sx3 vs 391 xtrema

winchester sx3 vs beretta