1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion Best Scout type rifles Savage Ruger etc.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The original concept for a scout rifle was to place the scope far enough forward so that the magazine could be loaded via a stripper clip. That's why guns made from surplus 98 Mausers and other military rifles were popular. In my opinion the 98 Mauser makes the best platform for *building* a true scout rifle.

If you are talking about a rifle with only the scope being in the scout position, then you can use almost any modern bolt gun since scout mounts are made for all popular makes.

In this case my vote goes for Savage, because of their consistent excellent accuracy and their very decent Accu-Trigger. Savage also, on some models, has a really decent oversize round bolt knob. And some models have a detachable box mag.

Remington makes good guns, but their accuracy, is inconsistent, and they've had problem over the years with bent barrels and especially bolt handles falling off. Remington has done a lot to improve their guns in the last half decade. Prior to that I would not buy one because of the problems. I still believe you get more bang for your buck with Savage.

Ruger, well, some shoot well and some don't. The biggest problem with Ruger is when they introduce a new model, they go all out to make sure they are accurate. Case in point.. the .22 Hornet was quite accurate in the first production run. Owners of later Hornets bitched about them. My theory is once the gun has been accepted, the economics of mass production takes over and accuracy suffers.

I have no experience with any bolt guns Winchester is making anymore. I'm only into their lever guns and single shots.

But speaking of lever guns, there are scout bases for the Marlin lever guns, and Marlin even makes at least one model already set up for a scout scope. Probably not what you want, but I thought I'd toss it out anyway.

Myself, I can't get used to a scout scope setup. It's far slower for me than a conventional scope. One issue is eye alignment. If you don't have a good cheek weld, and if your eye is not aligned with the scope axis, they are very slow to "get into to". Personally, I find using a decent red dot sight in the scout position to be far more useful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.