1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion best 7/8 Wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

I like the AA 7/8 oz wad the best. Use it in both AA and STS hulls.

Don Verna

2. ClaysNovice

ClaysNovice Member

I started with the AA 7/8 wad and switched to the Claybuster to save some money. I hear people on the forum complain about build-up with the claybuster wads, but I clean my gun after every shoot. It has not been a problem for me. Count me as one vote for the Claybuster.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pick one.

Gray Winchester WAA12L

Federal 12S0

Downrange XXL Pink

Any one of them will work fine.

Just find a good load for them.

I don't care much for the Claybuster wads, though. They leave plastic on my choke tubes, and they snap, crackle, pop as they go through my wad fingers on my 366.

4. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

DownRange PINK will fill the bill. They are slick and easy to load. They will not leave plastic residue in your barrel and you'll get great looking and performing loads.

5. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

DownRange PINK will fill the bill. They are slick and easy to load. They will not leave plastic residue in your barrel and you'll get great looking and performing loads.

6. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

7. Cush

Cush TS Member

I like the CB price a lot better than the Win. greys.

8. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

9. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I reeeaaaalllllyyyy like the Downrange XXL pink wad for Rem/Win hulls. Loads like a dream and patterns very well. I like it way better than any other clone and prefer it over the factory Win grey wad.

For my Fed Gold Medal hulls you cannot beat the 12SO wad.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have had no problem with Remington TGT12S wads. If I could find Downrange wads locally I would try them. Winchester gray or any winchester wads have been non exsistant or high in price in my area.

Lead Shot 12 7/8 oz. Clays CCI 209 Rem. TGT 12 17.3 9,400 PSI 1250

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Tried them all - best so far is Downrange XXL Pink! Best Regards, Ed

12. okieshootist

okieshootist Member

Downrange XXL Pink is the way to go. Priced right and have shot about 5000 Okieshootist (David H)

13. shrek

shrek Active Member

another vote for the downrange pink XXL wad

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Federal 12S0 if you are going fast. The Downrange Pink didn't work well for me, but I didn't take much time to work with them. The Gray Winchester WAA12L also works at most moderate velocities.

15. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Another vote for the great XXL pink downrange wad, this wad will work all the way up into the 1300s where the claybuster and winchester wads will start trying to turn going up the barrel and screw up the pattern and give you off sounding loads. I can push the xxl pink wads up to 1350 and it still patterns correctly.

maclellan1911...... send Greg an email at gcbluerock@cox.net, he can fix you up with downrange wads and is great to deal with.

I have also read about tgt12 wads being used with success in lighter 7/8 oz loads and just ordered 5000 of the downrange version to try, along with another 5000 of the xxl pink, just in case the tgt12 isn't as good.

Mr. Mark

16. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Down Range Pink DRXXL works best in my trap gun and my reloader. Have used them in place of Federal 12SO in straight walled hulls like Estate and Federal papers with good results.

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

For Bunker loads, and other fast ones, the 12SO or clone is hard to beat when using a lot of choke.

18. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

DR XXL-Pink is my wad of choice for 7/8 oz loads in Remington cases.

19. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I have been shooting the gray claybusters for several years now,they seem to work just fine!JMO ;o)~

20. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I won't shoot anything except the Baschieri & Pellagri T2 - Precision Reloading sells it as the TWT2; Ballistic Products as the 078 Lightning. It's not cheap, but it's the only one I've tried that doesn't give me the occasional conviction that the bird just flew through a hole in my pattern. I load it to 3 dram levels and absolutely love it.

Perhaps it's me; I was a lot less experienced when I tried the other wads. But I got hooked on 7/8 oz. loads very early and tried every wad I could get my hands on. When I discovered Ballistic Products I was in seventh heaven. But the B&P wad stood out from all the others, and I've used nothing else for 12 gauge since.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.