1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Operation Fast and Furious - government gunrunning

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by wireguy, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Operation Gun Walker: An Act of War Against Mexico With One American Murdered Already

Posted by Erick Erickson (Profile)

Thursday, March 17th at 5:00AM EDT

As the sun is rising this morning, it appears more and more that the Obama Administration committed an actual, factual act of war against Mexico through sheer incompetence that has left at least one American border patrol agent murdered.

What if I told you that the Obama Administration’s Justice Department authorized the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (the “ATF”) to rig gun background checks so gun runners could “walk” guns into Mexico after clearing an instant background check at various gun stores in the U.S.?

What if I told you that the Department of Justice and ATF did this to try to build a picture of Mexican Drug Cartels so the cartels could be taken out?

What if I told you that the ATF’s authorization of this operation, called by them “Fast and Furious”, corresponded to an increase in gun violence by drug cartels in Mexico?

What if I told you the Obama Administration never told the Mexican Government — making this a clear act of war under any host of international precedents?

What if I told you that at least one, and maybe more, American border patrol agents were murdered by guns passed over the border with the permission of the ATF?

And what if I told you that the Department of Justice and ATF decided to use the gun running they authorized, enabled, and oversaw as evidence in the Obama Administration’s fight to crack down on gun sales in the United States?

You’d think I was crazy, wouldn’t you? You’d think I had Obama Derangement Syndrome, wouldn’t you?

I’ll be honest. Had this come from any one of a million different right wing websites, I would be deeply suspicious that there were key details missing in order to paint a picture of an out of control Obama Administration and Eric Holder.

What if I told you the source of this fantastical story is the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric?

The facts here fit a pattern in Obama’s Department of Justice. Remember the Somali teen who the FBI gave pretend explosives to so the kid could take out a bunch of people in Oregon — or at least plot to? Only now, instead of imaginary bombs, the Department of Justice is authorizing real weapons that are being used to murder actual Americans.

Surveillance video obtained by CBS News shows suspected drug cartel suppliers carrying boxes of weapons to their cars at a Phoenix gun shop. The long boxes shown in the video being loaded in were AK-47-type assault rifles.

So it turns out ATF not only allowed it - they videotaped it.

Documents show the inevitable result: The guns that ATF let go began showing up at crime scenes in Mexico. And as ATF stood by watching thousands of weapons hit the streets… the Fast and Furious group supervisor noted the escalating Mexican violence.

One e-mail noted, “958 killed in March 2010 … most violent month since 2005.” The same e-mail notes: “Our subjects purchased 359 firearms during March alone,” including “numerous Barrett .50 caliber rifles.”

Senator Chuck Grassley “began investigating after his office spoke to Dodson and a dozen other ATF sources — all telling the same story.”

Now Congressman Darrell Issa is promising a congressional investigation. on the Rodger Hedgecock Show last night, Congressman Issa told Roger he is going to make sure there is a full inquiry into what happened.

The question, of course, to use the cliché, is what did Eric Holder and Barack Obama know and when did they know it.

One final note on this — CBS News itself does not get into the speculation that the Justice Department will be using this information to go after gun shops in this country. That’s just what ATF agents are whispering to Congress directly.

Had it not been CBS News, I’d say this was crazy talk. But they have the emails, videos, and actual ATF agents all saying the same thing

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Gun Walking
    WTF is going on at the BATFE?
    by John Hayward
    03/17/2011

Appearing on the Roger Hedgecock radio show Wednesday night, House Oversight chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA) announced that he has opened an investigation into Project Gun Walker, which is developing into one of the most bizarre and dangerous scandals of the Obama Administration. It’s almost impossible to make sense of it – if you haven’t heard the story before, be prepared to spend the next few paragraphs shaking your head in astonishment. The only theory that does make sense is ominous indeed, and if Congressman Issa’s investigation provides support for that theory, there is no telling how many heads will roll.

Project Gun Walker, also known by the case name “Fast and Furious” and “Operation Gunrunner,” was a plan in which the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives would deliberately allow guns into the hands of Mexican drug cartels, in order to “see where all the guns ended up, build a big case, and take down a cartel,” as whistleblower agent John Dodson explained to CBS News. Such operations existed as far back as 2008, but starting in 2010 they were expanded by an order of magnitude.

Shaking your head like that is kind of unpleasant, isn’t it? I warned you. You’re about to do it again.

We’re not just talking about a couple of pistols. CBS News got its hands on surveillance videos that showed “suspected drug cartel suppliers carrying boxes of weapons to their cars at a Phoenix gun shop,” including AK-47 assault rifles. The ATF stood by and watched as thousands of guns hit the streets of Mexico. They actually paid certain gun dealers, enlisted as Confidential Informants, to make this happen. Perhaps not coincidentally, gun violence in Mexico soared while the ATF was tossing crates of munitions to the cartels.

According to Agent Dodson, one of those AK-47s was used to kill Border Patrol agent and military veteran Brian Terry. He says two of the Project Gun Walker rifles were found at the scene of his murder. There is still some confusion on this point, but Congressman Issa’s team should act quickly to confirm or deny it.

Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee, along with ranking Republican Charles Grassley of the Senate Judiciary Committee, have been demanding answers from the Justice Department and Attorney General Eric Holder. They have been met with stone walls and dishonest denials. Democrats on both the House and Senate Judiciary Committees have been utterly silent.

Many have speculated that only Darrell Issa’s oversight powers could break the stalemate, and now he’s officially gotten involved. He told Roger Hedgecock that he’s got “four investigators working full time on this.” In addition to finding out exactly who authorized the “Gun Walker” programs, they might ask whether exporting all these murder weapons to Mexico has actually produced any of those high-profile cartel takedowns. I couldn’t find much evidence that any big fish have been reeled in.

Exactly how was this boneheaded plan supposed to work, anyway? It doesn’t seem as if those guns were implanted with any sort of tracking device, and you’d need the starship Enterprise to track the position of thousands of weapons over long distances. Was the ATF plan to give drug lords the tools to commit hundreds of murders, then bring in CSI teams to track them down after the autopsies?

This entire strategy appears profoundly incongruous for an Administration keen to impose more gun control laws on Americans… and that’s the really ominous part of the story.

Writing at the St. Louis Examiner, gun rights advocate and blogger Kurt Hofmann questions “the BATFE / Department of Justice spin that this was a perhaps ill-considered, but still honorably intended, effort to bring down at least one major Mexican drug syndicate,” and suggests a more straightforward purpose for the seemingly incomprehensible Gun Walker operation was to “pad the statistics about Mexican ‘crime guns’ coming from the U.S. civilian market.” This would “strengthen the BATFE’s argument for more funding and power… and gun control advocates’ calls for more restrictive gun laws.”

Hofmann and other writers have cited sources within the BATFE to support this horrifying theory. If it turns out to be true – and it makes a lot more sense than the Bureau’s stated reasons for allowing thousands of guns to walk across the border into Mexico – it could become the biggest story in the world. It all sounds sensationalistic and paranoid, but the “sensible” answers don’t add up. Something disturbing lies on the other side of the stone wall Issa’s investigators are about to jackhammer their way through.

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Nothing this administration has done surprises me, they will use every underhanded way possible to achieve their own agenda. Let us not forget Obamas TRANSPARENCY pledge, after all he was referring to a one may mirror at the time wasn't he? Ali Bama and his band of thieves are coming after our guns and the American sheep are going to hand them over without a Bahhhh.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.