1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opening up a fixed full choke 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roger8918, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I have 2 older (1980 and 1981) 1100 magnum's, both with fixed full chokes that I would like to have opened up in order to shoot big steel. I have contacted Remington and they said that both guns can handle steel but that they recommended that I keep it smaller then #2 considering the full choke. The guns will be used for goose and duck (#2 and BB Steel) and for Pheasant (#5 Lead). Who would be a good Smith to send my barrels to? Price is a consideration, as I hoping not to pay the price of tweaking a high dollar trap gun.

2. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Try Stu Wright, Pinckneyville, Illinois at 618 357-8933 or visit the website at the link listed above. I have always been happy with Stu Wright's work.

3. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Pat Gottberg would do a good job.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

at the cheap price of 1100 barrels I would just buy a new one, the way you want it . If you modify the one you have you will never get any thing out of it

5. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I recommend you keep the fixed-choke Remington barrel as is and buy a new 1100 barrel built to take choke tubes. Those fixed-full Remington trap barrels (along with the old Brownings) throw the best patterns for breaking clays that I've ever shot with. That barrel is worth a lot more the way it is. Leave it alone. For the same price you can but a new Classic Trap barrel.

LA in MA

6. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks All,

Porcupine, these are not trap guns and not trap barrels. They are 30" fixed full choke 3" barrels. Not much of a used market for these babies.

ricks1, I'm all ears if you can put me on to any cheep 3" 1100 barrels.

prairieviper, I considered Wrights but they want $95 per barrel....that is more then I can spend.

RickN, I will give Gottberg a call Monday. He has a 2008 price list on his site and it states $50 to open a choke. that's in my ballpark!

and Terry, just what I needed to hear. I'll also call Ahlman's on Monday. By the way how did you like your new patterns?

Roger

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Shoot it as is. #2 steel will bring down a goose at 50 yards. I have a friend that presses the Remington envelope every season with BBs out of the same gun and it shows no change. Shoot the #2s and hit 'em in the head.

8. emm2

emm2 Member

Try Carlsons in Kansas. choketube.com

9. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Brownells sells adjustable reamers for ~55$ that will do the job for you and then you can do all the barrels you want.

All you need in the line of tools is a 1" micrometer, a tap wrench, a small adjustable spanner and a little cutting oil.

It is about as hard to do as slipping on a mossy rock.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You also need to know a few tricks of the trade to do the job right. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
full choke opening

open up a full choke barrel

open up full choke barrels

opening a fixed choke

opening fixed choke
opening fixed choke barrels