1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opening new safe?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mwm86, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwm86

mwm86 Member

I bought a new Centurion by Liberty safe today and after uncrating it
    I used the key to open it, worked fine, but like a genius I relocked it
    and left all the instructions and combination paperwork inside, and now
    I can't get the keys to work to reopen it. Anyone with advice on how
    to help an idiot would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Bret.

2. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Dial combinatioon locks can be opened sometimes by looping a cord around the dial a couple of times and then spinning it back and forth quickly by pulling on each end of the cord. Works on cheap combination padlocks. If electronic best idea is maybe a locksmith.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I thought i was the only one that did dumb sh!t like this. I'd call the Company that made the safe and just maybe they could help you. Find serial numbers and have all purchase info ready to prove your not a safe theif.

Matt

4. Beaglemutt

Beaglemutt TS Member

If it has a digital lock try this combination:
    123456#

To open the Lock
    Make sure the keypad is turned counterclockwise to stop. Press the code digits or letters in order,
    followed by #. Then, within six seconds, turn the keypad clockwise about 70 degrees (2 o’clock
    position), until it comes to a positive stop. Do not put any pressure on the safe handle until
    after the keypad has been turned.

Hope this helps

Beaglemutt

5. grntitan

"If it has a digital lock try this combination: 123456#"

To be honest, if this works i'd take the safe back. How secure is it if a child can open it. Thats a code that a kid would try just play'n around.

Matt

6. Beaglemutt

Beaglemutt TS Member

IF you have the manual lock, then try this:

MANUAL LOCK—OPENING INSTRUCTIONS (FIRST TIME)
    The combination lock on your safe has been set randomly at the factory. Most safes come
    standard with a key-locking dial. To unlock the dial, insert the dial key and turn the key a half a turn
    clockwise. Turn the dial to the right (clockwise). The dial should stop at about “87”. Turn safe
    handle and open door. With door open, you can now verify your combination.

More information is available at the Liberty safe website

http://www.libertysafe.com/images/downloads/forms/pdf/1_use_care_manual_2010_2_10.pdf

Good luck

Beaglemutt

7. Beaglemutt

Beaglemutt TS Member

Matt

That is the default setting from the factory for the FIRST time the safe is opened.

The customer then sets combination.

Beaglemutt

8. grntitan

But he already opened it "The 1st time". Then he closed it with all the important stuff inside. Time for the Acety/Oxy cut'n torch.

I see what your say'n though. Maybe since he didn't set/program a combo it might still open on the factory default.

Matt

9. mwm86

mwm86 Member

Thanks beaglemutt and to all who responded, i'll try this suggestion.
    It is just the standard dial, no electronic stuff on this one. Thanks again Bret

10. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I purchased a Liberty gun safe from Gander Mountain which has the Sargent and Greenleaf dial. The sporting goods manager could not get the safe open using the combination he had on file for that safe. He came back with a card file of all the safes they had in stock and checked for any new safe combinations. Nothing worked.

He then called Liberty. They wouldn't give him any information but asked for the Store Name and location and the manager's name. After about 15 minutes Liberty called back and asked for the manager. He gave them the serial number from his card file, they gave him the combination, and the safe opened.

Please note that Liberty didn't rely on the initial phone call but checked out the store name and called the number that they found for that store.

You may have your store do the same thing.

Michael Stephenson

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The key only locks the dial from spinning

You might be able to write the company with copies of your receipt - serial number and an affidavit from you and the store manager that you purchased the safe on a certain day (hopefully that was recently)

The affidavit should have a notary sign it

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

MWM86: Keep us informed as to your progress/end results. Some of us would like to know in case something similar ever happens to us.

Thanks.

Allen

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

An option to prevent this "loss" of a combination

Send yourself an email with the combination and then take the sent email or received one and create a file folder in your emails for this

As a last resort - you can go to your email file-

Name the file whatever you want

regards from Iowa

Gene

14. grntitan

Gene--Everytime i put something somewhere so i'll know exactly where it is, i loose it. I cleaned my workshop up and now i can't find one damn tool. Your idea is a good one though. I would hide the combo several places.

Matt

15. RAScott

RAScott Member

After you get the safe open and the combo set up,put in your cell phone under a name and put in the combo as a phone number.I have 3 safes with different combos, and have mixed up the combinations a couple of times usually when you are loading the truck for a quick shoot.or a leauge nite shoot.

lol

Bob S

16. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Have you got it open yet?

Sure would be interested in knowing what you had to do to get it open.

Thanks.

Allen

17. mwm86

mwm86 Member

I did finally get the info. I needed and got the safe open. After researching
    the net and several phone calls later, I spoke with tech support directly
    at Liberty. He informed me that there was a serial # sticker on top of the safe. I called the store where I purchased the safe and gave them the serial
    # and they in turn called Liberty and got me the combination from their files.
    Saved me alot of time in calling Liberty myself and proving it was mine and blah blah. FYI if I would have had to have the local locksmith drill it, cost could have been around $600. Also it's a good thing I have a patient 11 yr. old to open it for me, because i'm still having hell opening it myself. Thanks to all for your help and concerns, hope this helps someone from doing
    something as dumb as I just did. Thanks Bret

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

RAScott:

Good idea. I will name mine "Roscoe".

HM

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Bret,

A patient 11 year old with the ability to successfully open a gun safe worries me and seems counterintuitive.

I have my safe primarily to keep youngsters and the curious separated from my firearms. I worry more about that than thieves.

I'm sure your youngster is responsible and well-schooled, but maybe you should learn how to open it yourself and then change the combo just to be sure.

I'll admit that all of this is none of my business.

Respectfully submitted,

Guy Babin

20. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Glad it all worked out good for you!

It is always good to keep the combination(s) somewhere, besides in your head, should one have a temporary memory lapse.

I have three different safes and usually I can remember each one seperately when I walk up to it--BUT, sometimes I do forget so I do have another place that I keep the information.

When I was younger and worked for a Financial Institution (Bank) I had as many as six different combinations memorized at one time.

Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

open new safe