1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opening Ljutic Chamber

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bridgetoofar, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Has anyone tried a do-it-yourself fix for tight Ljutic chambers by polishing with a brake cylinder hone in order to get the cheaper steel base shells from sticking?

2. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I gotta think you are cheap and crazy. Do it yourself chambers?? You gotta be nuts. If you can afford the Ljutic, you can afford to buy decent shells.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you wanted a honed chamber- they do sell chamber hones- I dont see the harm if you followed the directions

Call Brownells and talk to them about it

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you are determined to do that. Send it back to Ljutic and let them do it. Do not attempt it yourself, you will be sending it back to them for sure. I shoot Top Guns, Estates and low end Winchesters thru mine with no problem. Hope this helps, Roy

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

You can run a Brake Hone in your chamber for a week and it will not make a difference . The only cheap fix is really clean it every time you shoot it .
    Use a drill and really clean it .

6. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Before the "chamber hones" were marketed through Brownells, anyone polishing a forcing cone after being cut, did it with a brake cylinder hone. Just wondering if anyone has done a chamber with one. Not cheap, not crazy and not planning on running a hone for a week. Again, just looking for anyone who has done this and if & how it worked. 3 dram Rios, Gun Clubs and Top Guns all stick in this gun. The steel bases are the culprits. Someone awhile back mentioned cutting series of shallow slots in the rear 3/4" of the chamber to prevent the shell from taking suck a firm bite. Maybe that would work.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Everybody wants to be a gunsmith......*sigh*

8. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Personally, if I were having an issue with hulls sticking in the chamber I'd just send it back to Ljutic. Why cobble up a $4000 + gun to save a few bucks?

hubcap

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Don't attempt to open the chamber anymore than .815". That's the top end of the SAAMI specs. I've done a 1/2 dozen chamber sleeves this last year because the chambers got opened too far and nothing would eject. The largest measured .840".

If you can, try and squeeze a longer or stronger ejector spring into it. Or wrap some 0000 steel wool around a 12ga brush, locked into an electric drill.

I prefer to use a break hone for polishing the forcing cones and chamber over the polishing balls that Brownwell's sells. The hone will keep all of the surfaces flat. The polishing "hones/balls" cannot do this.

Doug Braker

10. m70win

m70win Member

The problem with the Lujtics is the chambers are all ready to big. The steel base shells expand and than don't shrink back like brass ones do. Theres a guy here in Mi. that will put a new chamber sleeve in that is smaller. My father inlaw has had it done with good results. I'll find out more about it and report back.
    Tim

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've polished a couple that had poor ejection with crocus cloth and an electric drill, polished until the chamber shone like a mirror and ejection was better. I doubt I took out any measurable metal at all, just smoothed it totally, and that helped.

Neil

12. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

As usual..Neil is "right on target"...Polish your chamber...
    Polishing is one thing...honing is compeletly different. If your chamber NEEDS that kind of attention...IMHO:leave to a PRO. This isn't a 75.00 "gun show special" 870 barrel you're talking about.

13. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

I had bought my ljutic from a shooter who had a stroke. The gun had sat in a safe for 10 years before the guy decided that he would sell it because he could no longer shoot. The gun looked clean but after shooting it for several months it would not eject some shells.

I took it to a smith at the grand and he looked it over and told me that there was rust that was imbeded in the chamber. He said he ran a ream through it to clean it out. It worked fine for a while, 1000+ rounds then started doing it to almost every shell.

Final result. Ljutic had to put a new barrel on it as the "smith" took too much out.

As far as putting a heavier spring in to help eject, the problem is that on a ljutic the ejection does not start until the gun is open. Not like a P / K gun where when you first start the opening of the gun the action of the forearm will slightly raise the shell.

I spoke to a Ljutic dealer last month about this problem of not ejecting anything but my AA reloads and his suggestion was to keep the chamber very clean and oiled. BTW the shells that I was having trouble with were Noble Sport and B&P.

Scott

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have had this problem with Rio's at times and I put Gunslick in the chamber
    on my Ljutic before I shoot and that almost eliminates the problem.

Dr.longshot

15. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

I also have this problem with RIO's and some DIANA shells.

I took the Gun to P&P at the Spring Grand for a fix, I was told to save my money the problem would be to expensive to TRY to fix...if it could be fixed at all....something to do with the way the ejector works.
    Now I don't have this problem with ESTATE shells, So I shoot ESTATE in my Ljutic for handicap, and use the RIO's for Singles & Doubles in my Browning....MY Problem solved.

16. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Thanks for all the input. I did measure the chamber and it's smaller, not larger, than everything else I've measured. In fact, many of the cheaper shells have to be pushed into the chamber when loading. After some thought, I guess I don't and didn't really want to "open" or otherwise appreciably increase the chamber size at this point, but rather to polish and clean up the back of the chamber. I'm going to go ahead with the hone, polishing at first and then if that doesn't work I'll look for another fix. I've not had the best of luck with gunsmiths and now mostly trust to my own work on seemingly simple things like this. No offense to Doug, but if you polish a forcing cone with a brake hone, why would you polish a chamber with steel wool wrapped around a brush? Why wouldn't the hone serve the same purpose? I suppose your thought would be that I'm not going to remove any metal with the steel wool, but the hone I have is 320 grit... not exacting a metal eating monster. As to Ljutic, after getting bad info from them on this gun three times in a row, I'm not comfortably send it to them. I'm hoping that Neil's take on the problem comes closest to my thoughts - a mirror like polish followed by keeping it clean will solve most of the problem.

The main problem with all of this shell sticking, of course, is the lack of elasticity of steel base hulls and the ones with the higher bases seem to be worse due to the increased bearing surface. Until I shoot up the 70 flats of Rios in my garage, I'll trust to the polishing job I'm about to impart to my Pro 3 and keep my wad knocker in my pocket. Here goes.......

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

bridge, when I did this it was the (brass-colored) Federal shells that were sticking and lots of people were having the problem (along with misfire problems with the same shells with Ljutics only). Wet crocus cloth got me 90% of what I was after. For final finish I trimmed a felt bob mounted in a 1/4-inch shank with a file (the bob was spinning) until it was a sliding fit in the chamber. Then I used polishing compound, the wax-based type, and ended up with the best polish on metal you can get.

The Federals quit sticking at all but that was before Rios and so on so I can't guarantee the fix with those different components.

Neil

18. steevo

steevo TS Member

I have a ljutic on the way. I hope I dont have all kinds of problems. Steve

19. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

The true fix is don`t use any steel based shells . My old Mono doesn`t eject them either and I only reload STS`s and thats my fix . I tried polishing the chamber and lubing it but as was said about , it is only a short repair and I`ll be damn if I want to enlarge the chamber or be poking the hulls out all the time . I save all the Gun Club reloads for all the other guns that will eject them .

20. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Bridgetofar,

Maybe my statement was a little confusing. I don't care to use the "hones" that Brownell's sell. I believe you were refering to the ones with the little balls on them, like this....

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

They are fine for a final polish, but they just don't do the job of removing the tool marks and leaving the forcing cone and chamber walls flat. The longer stones found on a brake hone does that.

It would probably take an hour of honing with the brake hone and oil to remove .005". Even then the surface of the chamber walls are not as smooth as they could be.

You could take some "wet or dry" 320 grit and polish them more. I suggested the steel wool approach as the final step to give the chamber walls a burnished effect. This should get them about as smooth as they'll ever get.

Doug Braker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.