1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opening day of gun season in NYS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SR1, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Good luck to any and all hunting opening day in the southern zone. Lets make it a fun and safe season.

2. tj303

tj303 Member

It is pouring rain outside in Central New York on opening day. I will sit this one out. Be safe and shoot a lot of does please.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Watch out for the ticks. I hear NYS is totally infested with the little buggers. HMB

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

If you are lucky maybe Chuck Schumer will be sneaking about.

5. labber

labber TS Member

poured in western new york hunted anyway,all day!

6. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

poured like heck this morning, then turned into a wind storm in the afternoon...I was out all day, gotta admit, It was a doozey. I was prepared with the right clothing, so the rain was no problem. puablo

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Sounds like you guys are having fun! If you don't hunt in the rain in Oregon you don'y hunt. Anybody have any luck? Jeff

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My oldest boy and I went out Saturday, at 4 o'clock I spotted a spike in my scope, about 120 yards away that was only exposing it's upper back (no vitals), but would peek up every so often and look around. It was a safe shot (hill background) and I handed the .243 Savage over to my boy (who never shot a deer) and told him to check it out. He looked around through the scope for about 20 seconds and then froze solid....I knew he seen it. He said "I can only get a shot at the head" and I told him if that's all he's got, take it.

Right tween' the eyes! Dropped it right there. We dragged it back and in 20 minutes, another spike showed up, then I put one clean through the heart. Yeah, I know they were only spikes, but time was limited and I wanted some meat.

9. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

SuperX-Jeff...My hat's off to you folks up there, you aint a kidding about the rain. I was stationed at a radar site near the Oregon border when I was in the service, and in November it rained 29 days...we had to evacuate the trailer we were living in...so you speak the truth. Good hunting to you. puablo

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Spikes are the good eaters.

I think deer hunting has drifted so far from substinance that these days it is more like a competive sport. Guys talk more about the antler score than the outing itself. Truth is, those moster Mulies we work so hard for here in northern NV don't taste very good and usually end up as jerky or sausage.

It sounds like you did well in regards to having a good time with your boy, Tron and will probably cherish this memory more than if you had shot a B&C caliber buck by yourself. Can't wait until my daughter is old enough to draw a deer tag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

opening day of rifle season nys

when does opening day gun deer season nys