1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opening choke to gain a rock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

need opinions ( or facts)- will a better trap score occur by openning your choke -say from full(.38) to mod (.20-.22) at the 16 yd line or back ??

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Here we go again.

One word of advice...the person who says, "I'd rather have 100 chips than 99 smokes"...probably doesn't get much of either, because the choice seldom presents itself in those kind of neat, tidy terms.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Depends where you point It!

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All your breaks will be big pieces. You will not be able to tell if you are high or low, etc.

Best to choke for smoke. That way if you're off a little you can adjust. Also more fun that way.

HM

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've been the youngest trap shooter at my club for years. The old timers have stated many theories regarding trap, most of which don't work. One of them is practice with the tighest choke ya got then open it up for competition. Same same for me. I don't do it. They also state to swing as fast as you can during practice. Anyway. Dave T.

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

dave-thanks for your input- BUT- what's the skinny on open chokes from your young point of view? - do you have a gain in score?????

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Open chokes up close will make you sloppy.. You will pay big dues when backing up in handicap and it won't be positive ones.....

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Choke for smoke.......period.........

GS

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Most shooters over choke. Pattern the gun at the distance you break the target. There is no other way to determine what works best. It's time consuming but it's the only way to see what choke is best for your load and gun. The old saying "choke for smoke" is just that, old. With the new guns, moble chokes, wads, and trick barrels you best find out on a pattern board.

10. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I shoot a modified (.020) choke for 16 yards in a .750 bore Kolar. I shoot fast and get lots of smoke. In my old Beretta the Light Full choke worked best. Try different chokes with your ammunition at different yardages and use the one that will give you the kind of breaks you want to consistently see. Bill Malcolm

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

On station #3 you should use a modified choke, on stations #2 & #4 you should use an improved modified choke, and on stations #1 ans #5 you should use a full choke. That's why they make screw in chokes. Always use the right choke and your scores will improve. HMB

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

HMB, Do you use that theory for practice or competition? I am sure you were just joking. Weren't you? Larry

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I believe the information shown at the website above. Studies by Dr. Jones and others have shown that a "more open" choke has a weaker core pattern without transferring the extra pellets to the outer fringe. I have choke tubes and I use IM for singles and Full for Handicap. If I had a fixed choke gun, I would definitely have it choked Full for Handicap. I learned this lesson many years ago when I had several BT-99's. I found through trial and error that my highest averages in Singles were shot with the Full Choked BT-99.

14. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

working with a couple of SCTP teams, I encourged the shooters to tighten their chokes to "read " the breaks. Both teams reported a 20 to 25 % increase in broken targets from a mod choke to tighter chokes. my .02 anyway.

15. trident

trident Member

Yukon,
    Just had the Alf opened to .027, will try it our tonight. Andy

16. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

The above post is direct from the big guy himself.

If he says full choke, then full choke it is.

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Do you shoot fast, or ride the bird out to 40 yards?

Are you shooting Lawrys, Federals or Whiteflyers?

Does the bird present flat or tilted?

Shooting at 25ºF or at 90ºF.

Do you know how your gun patterns?

Yep, it can drive you nuts.

Start with a LM or M. KISS. When you start shooting decent scores (23's, 24's) experiment with chokes and see what works best for you. Keep a notebook. Record ALL your scores and conditions shot in. That 98 may be a fluke. Shoot a minimum of 500 rounds before deciding if your performance is better/worse.

If in doubt, go tighter rather than more open.

Don Verna (97.8 last 1000 ATA singles targets)

18. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I truly believe the "choke mindset" that many shooters have today harms their shooting performance, rather than help it. If you shoot a modified choke and have success; my advice is "go for it". You have confidence in that combination. A number of years ago, I shot the Florida state shoot. I shot next to a guy who changed his choke tubes 4 times during the 100 bird event! Ironically on our squad we had 3 of us that had fixed full chokes and the other shooter said he hadn't changed his choke tubes in 2 years! (At the time I was shooting a fixed choke Model 12).This guy was low man on the squad after all the choke changing. Bottom line; in trap one might be better off just staying with "what works" for you. Many years ago I bought a Beretta 682 single with a full choke. Immediately I sent it to Briley and they installed choke tubes. I shot the gun with the Briley full choke tube for 15 years until I gave the gun to my kid. Great investment. Choke tubes have their place; but if you only use the gun for trap, I would spend the money on an adjustable comb or whatever instead of choke tubes. (Especially on a single barrel). Chokes just make one second guess themselves. My opinion. Ed

19. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Personally, I love .030 constriction, (light full). I shoot it up close and way back with no problems. The only problem when I miss is me.

John E.

20. racer

racer TS Member

HMB- instead of changing chokes at every station, might I suggest usings #9's on post 1&5,8's on 2&4 and obviously 71/2's in the middle. My barrel doesn't like 8.5's but yours might. (just ask it). It's too bad Browning doesn't offer poly chokes on XT's, I'd be the first one in line. Dan

By the way, my singles average is 99% on the last 50 I shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.