1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opening a screw choke?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

who would be the best for opening a screw choke? I'd like to have a .010 opened to .007 or .008 for the 2nd shot on skeet doubles. Don't need any special tuning ala eyster, ect, just opened a couple thou.

2. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Just get another choke tube , it will be just as cheap and much better.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

trpshtr2001- i wish it was that easy, but the kolar factory chokes only ever came in .005 increments.

perazzi- thanks for the offer, i'll keep it in mind. I've got a date with a handful of shells and a football field worth of paper when the weather breaks.

4. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

If you can tell the difference in .002 or .003 , I'd go for it.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can do it yourself with a brake cylinder hone. Start with 220 grit and finnish with 600 grit. HMB

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

It may or may not be the "magic" .002, you won't know unless you try it.When you change shells, then the magic probably changes too. Have fun, Bob

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

What is Skeet?

8. alpine

alpine TS Member

As I have measured several choke tubes,from differant manufacturers, over the course of many years, with very accurate measuring devices, I would say that you are vastly over simplifing the solution.

A number of choke tubes have a shape to the restriction. And mearly taking off a couple thous off the restriction does destroy the shape, and may not have the desired result.

Buy a new choke tube. Or go ahead and destroy the one you have. It's you choice.

9. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

You can have the choke tube "duplicated" with the constriction you desire . Modifying an existing tube WILL change the configuretion of the tube and probably render it worthless BUT shiRt , I've wasted things a lot more valuable than a choke tube when "challenged" by a "what if" .

Charlie

10. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Pick your gun and then fill in what restriction you want. They will make you any thing you want around $45.00. In either bright or blued finished. About three weeks from order to your door, or that is what both of mine took.

Not saying it's the chokes but both pattern great as far as shot in the ring goes.

Rock

Jim

11. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

PPB
    I think he wants a tighter choke for the 2nd bird on skeet doubles...................not a spreader type load.
    Bulgie

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Skeetman, If you indeed want to open your choke for the second shot in doubles, I agree with Perazzibigbore. Soft chilled shot will open faster than a 3% to 6% antimony shot and I would add about 50 fps. to your load as well. Hope this helps. Break-em all. JEff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.