1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Open vs Non Resident state shoots?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Why do some states have Open rather than Non Resident at their shoots? Does it have to do with the size of a shoot or don't they want out of state shooters to come to their state shoots? Biff

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I don't have a problem with resident and open trophies. If a resident class C shooter wins with a 195 and another resident class D shooter breaks a 194 and the highest non-resident score is 193, who should get the trophies? If the program lists resident and open, then the 194 would win resident and the 193 would get open class D. If the program lists resident and non-resident, the 194 would still win resident, the 193 would be left out and the 192 would get the non-resident class D trophy.

Pat Ireland

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Pat----I'm lost big time now.. What about the 195 shot by the resident C class shooter? Wouldn't the 195 C class resident shooter win and the 194 resident get 2nd?----Matt

4. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

I think that what Biff is saying is "aren't we discouraging out of state shooters from attending our State Shoots. Don

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Open trophies any one in the class can win with High score whether resident or out of state.

Non-resident trophies go to high score out of state.

Open trophies include both resident and non-resident are competing for the trophy.

Is this clear?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Biff I think what is important here is to note if you give trophy for non-resident. You may be awarding a trophy to someone on no more qualification than they do not live in your state.

You may give the resident trophy for the top score and have to ignore 5 other scores that are better than the best non-resident simply because he/she is a non-resident.

I certainly don't want a trophy for a score that was out scored by 5 other shooters. Do you???

Bob Lawless

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

High score or not, non resident trophies attract non resident shooters, be it zone, county, or state. They're trying to attract shooters, other that their own.

Ed Yanchok

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

On the other hand, what if there are 3 or 4 non-resident shooters who outshoot all of the in-staters? That would be a sad situation.

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

In Alaska, our state shoot is 14 events. That's the only one anyone from out of state ever shows up to, anyway....

9 of the events are open. Only the state championship events and the class signles and doubles are broken into resident and non-resident. We try to offer nice trophies to the out of state folks who make the long trip to shoot with us.

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

I'm with Biff on this one. I never did understand why we discriminate against out of state shooters. If you can't beat an out of stater so what? Be glad a better shooter came to your state to compete. Try harder next year!

But trapshooting has become very liberal with it's awards. We try to make sure that almost everyone receives a trophy so they walk away feeling good. We have also made the targets easier so people could break more targets. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't want to win "class" or "yardage", I want to win the whole shebang. Anything less is a loss to me.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Matt- I re-read my post and like you, I am confused.

Recurvy- In Virginia, it is not at all uncommon for several non resident scores to be higher than the resident scores. That is because you and others from Penna come down and take all of our money. First, you shot us during the War, now you come back and take our money. We did not welcome you the first time, but you are now very welcome to come down to visit and get wealthy.

Pat Ireland

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Substantial attendance has been lost from out of staters in the midwest due to not awarding non resident trophies. I'll guarantee you that trophies due matter.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Pat---It don't take much with me though.LOL----Matt

14. saluki68

saluki68 TS Member

In some states, eg TX where I live, it can be difficult to attract a significant number of out-of-staters, not because we don't want them but due to distances involved. When the TX State Shoot is held in San Antonio, which is at least every-other year, you are looking at 350+ miles just to the BORDERS of neighboring states (OK,NM,LA). Most people who like to shoot at the NSC in San Antonio do so at the Southwest Grand in April and don't return +/- July 4th for the State Shoot. Tom

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I should clarify...I'm with OTNOT on this. Hell, I shoot with him monthly.

The ONLY time I'll go for seperate trophies is at a state shoot. I think if you're having the "Alaska Singles Championship" that it should be only Alaska residents.

And if you win, all it means is that you're best shooter who, by chance, lives in Alaska.

The rest of the time...I'm perfectly happy to let the out of state folks take whatever they can win.

16. biff

biff Active Member

I know what the difference is and several picked up on what I'm saying; Don, Ed, and Otnot did. There are many states that do encourage Non Resident (out of state) shooters and it gives a little more incentive for them to attend especially if it is a big shoot or a state where the residents are all very good. Many state shoots make no distinction for events during the early days of their shoots and call it open events which can be won by out of staters.

Residents at a state shoot are protected from the chance top shooters coming in from out of state and winning the championships and that is as it should be. When you look at the results of state shoots in Trap & Field Magazine only the winners in the pictures are from that state. When you look at the results of that shoot you will see if they have Open or Non Resident trophies.

Kentucky used to have the Open trophies, but changed it so out of state shooters would be competing against each other and increased their chances of winning or gaining All American points. Some of the states I shot in had the Non Resident designation was Georgia, Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois; you feel your chances may be better in states with the Non Resident designation. I've wanted to shoot the North Carolina State Shoot but noticed they only offer the Open category and it certainly would be a long drive.

Heaven forbid going to Virginia, they are still fighting the Civil War there....especially around where Pat Ireland lives!! Biff

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Mr. Ireland, my dear, you are wrong on two accounts:

First and foremost, I never bet. i.e. I never play the money. Not betting was one of the 3 promises that I have made and kept to my Nana when I was a teenager.

Second, and just as important, I am more of a southern belle than are you (of course, in gender, but also due to distance from NY). I was born and raised in Bessemer, AL. I only masquerade as a Pennsylvanian. My momma and sister would disown me if I claimed to be from up here (although they have settled into the Kansas deal, mostly because Martin likes grits).

18. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

If I am going to a "state shoot" other than my own, there will be "non-resident" trophies there or I will no go.

GS

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I feel we all go to whatever shoot with several intension's in mind. Friends,fun and shooting your best shot is kinda high on my list regardless of where that shoot may be or what trophies are up for grabs!

Winning the high out of state Vet award with my 95 at the Ca state shoot in the handicap championship was darned good frosting on my cake last June. I may have shot a tad better but my bestest buddy standin to my left created 99 dust clouds that "fowled" the air. I had to wait longer for the dark clouds to dissipate before I could see?? :) Watching a great friend smoke 99 from the 27 was a pure delight!! Tom S. was amazing at creating dust clouds that day!!!

I'd just slammed the door on my car,ready to leave when someone heard my name called for a shoot-off. The other guy heard it was me and he lit out for parts unknown not wantin to tangle with me I'll tell ya! :) Am I glad to have won it? Absolutely, tickled pink, but I'd rather have won or lost it with a shoot-off!! SO, I'll just treasure it too, those Vet awards are tough to come by these days!

Hap

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The Illinois State Shoot has the same amount of trophies for out-of- state shooters as we have for the in-state shooters. Even some of our very special trophies, donated by beloved benefactors, are open and can be won by out-of-state shooters.

The ISTA board is very generous and each of it's members are very worthy porters of our great association.

On top of that, Brittany Shooting Park is very shooter friendly. Nearly every background is the same - a little bit of ground then sky.

Please make the Illinois State Shoot one of your choices for the 2010 trapshooting season no matter what state your from. You'll love it.

Barry Roach
    ISTA and ATA life member with no official standing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.