1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Open or OUT! and other safety things

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by joshif, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshif

joshif TS Member

Seems too many easy going shooters at our club do not think that they should open their guns action when they take it out of the rack in the clubhouse when they're called out to shoot. I'm tierd of being the "Open it up, Please" guy and I want signage stating to open it up to put on the wall behind the rack. Our Trap Chairman is too wimpy to say anything because he thinks they will not come there anymore.We are dying on the vine as it is and he doesn't wantto chase away shooters by being too strict.I say we don't need guys like that and they might chase away more shooters than us being safe. We also lose lots of shooters because we have a no tolerance rule about alcohol and drugs before and during shooting. The drug thing is a no brainer but I know of some who smoke that funny smelling tobacco while shooting games(at other clubs).I'm afraid of an accident waiting to happen.Iavoid the clubs that have obvious drunks shooting and want to keep our club clean and safe. Seems like a lot of the shooters are like a lot of non shooting citizens who feel anything goes. Well I feel a little discipline and smart headed thinking will keep our club out of trouble. Seems there is not enough of that happening in the USA as it is. Where can I get the signs without going to my local sign shop for custom signs? ATA? Clip Art? Thanks,Real Name

2. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The ATA will provide the "Open or out" signs if requested(at least they did when I ran registered shoots a few years back). If your trap chairman is afraid to inforce safety, ask him how long he thinks you will stay open after a law suit if someone were to get shot. Anybody who thinks clubs cannot not be held responsible if it happens is out of touch. Alcohol is a no no when shooting and the ATA strictly forbids it. Let's face it. The sport has been darned lucky to avoid any fatalities over these many years. There have been a couple of remote cases, but NONE in structured registered shooting and for that we can all be thankful. There HAVE however been cases of someone being shot (though thankfully none fatally). The absence of a fatality in ATA competition makes our sport one of the SAFIEST sports on record, but we must always be on guard and safety HAS to everbody's buisness and we can NEVER be complacent. I think any resonable person will not object to a fiendly reminder about keeping an action open. If they do, you probably don't ned them at your club anyway.

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Maybe some have left because of safety issues??

Don

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Find another club to shoot. Thatone is to dangerous and or replace your wimpy chairman.

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

If the chairman is a wimp, find a coalition of shooters that agree with you and become "vigilantes of safety"....strength in numbers, the wimp will have to suppport you, or quit if he opposes safety!

6. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Along those lines. I've been noticing alot lately some old timers who while waiting for their turn to shoot load a round and close the gun. It supprised me to find out later that one of these guys was a state champ. Do you agree or disagee that this is another safety issue? BTW, this was at a non-ATA shoot.

Hawk,

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree that safety is everyones responsibility. I have asked shooters numerous times to keep their actions open while carrying their gun. As far as loading a shell into your gun and closing the action while on line; I have no problem with that and do not feel it's a safety issue. (This was discussed in several previous threads and everyone has their own opinion). I load my gun immediately after firing. (Unless of course I am moving to a different station). I close the action usually 2 shooters away from me. (i.e. if I'm on Post 5, I close the action when the shooter on Post 3 fires his/her gun). I do this for 2 reasons, first, it does not cause the voice activated system to throw an unwanted target; due to closing the action and secondly it does not disturb any other shooter on the line. Guns must always be pointed downrange and if something happens that disrupts the shooting cycle, I immediately open my action. Ed

8. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

27-M12, Have to agree with your assessment of wimps, but unfortunately that includes most of us. Yesterday at the Michigan Team Shoot one old timer with an auto that you could not always verify was open, consistently waved it around when changing stations and fields. Made me want to duck behind the car but no one said anything. Signage is only one piece of the safety formula, guys like you who point out violations are another. Unfortunately our safety record seems to be the OK to ignore infractions. I plead guilty too.

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

If we don't police our own ranks, who will? I don't feel bad about asking a shooter to open an action or instruct him about removing a shell before changing stations. I am polite and ask him quietly the first time, beyond that, I make sure it's loud enough for everyone else in earshot to hear. Give them a quiet reminder once only!

Big Jack

10. grouper

grouper TS Member

My wife and I both persue hobbies that require exremely high safety standards. She is a private pilot, and I shoot trap. When she was in ground school, she learned an important safety rule about alcohol and flying - "8 hours bottle-to-throttle". She takes it an extra step and will not drink for 12 hours before flying. When I started shooting trap, she asked me to follow a similar protocol, which I have. I call it "8 hours jigger-to-trigger".

There was even one morning when I had intended to shoot trap. However, after "partying" a little too much the night before, I woke up feeling "not quite right" in the head. So I made the decision to not go shooting that day. I was within the 12-hour rule, but my head was just too fuzzy that morning to be safe on the trap line.

I refuse to compromise on safety.

Grouper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.