1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Open heart surgery when can I shoot trap again?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BOBL, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOBL

BOBL TS Member

How many weeks must I wait before shooting trap after my surgery?
    I had two bypasses and one valve repair Oct. 19,2009.

Bob L. Wood

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ask your doctor. Some people heal quicker than others. I had to wait six weeks and then I built up slowly. I started by only taking 25 shells with me to the range so that I wouldn't over do it. It's easy to over do it with your weakend muscles. Build up slowly and you won't have setbacks. With the weather that we've been having, it should be easy.

Ed Yanchok

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

After you've SUCCESSFULLY completed ALL of your cardiac rehabilitation sessions and the doc signs off on you. You've only got one of those things in your chest you know?

4. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

If you shoot left handed I'd be careful. Jim

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I had open heart with 7 (not a typo - 7) bypasses installed on 7/10/09. I completed cardiac rehab and started exercising. My heart surgeon - not a shooter - said wait 6 - 8 weeks (about mid - Sept to Oct 1st). My internist - not a shooter - said I could start in November (about 12 weeks). My cardiologist - not a shooter - said 6 months. I waited until the first week of December (about 5 months) and started with a new RAD system on my Browning XT and an 1100 using 7/8 and 1 oz. loads. First box after all that time, I ran 25 straight from the 16 followed by a 23/25 from the 24 yd. line. No chest pain, only my arms got tired lifting the gun...started using weights to build up arm strength. Don't forget to build up your arm strength. I understand that the breast plate is about 80% healed after 8 weeks. Go slow. Best Regards, Ed

6. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

My surgeon told me to wait 12 weeks. Ny cardiologist called another surgeon and he said 60 days. It is all about the sternum healing. I started shooting in 60 days and sometime my sternum will hurt. Just my 2cents worth.

Jerry

7. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Hello Bob L.

I just had open heart on Oct. 26th and just returned yesterday to shooting. I was told it takes 12 weeks for the sturnem to heal properly. I rushed it by two weeks but it went fine. My friend rushed it after 6 weeks and is suffering with movement and infection now. Not good.

I can only advise you to take your time before returning. Although mine worked out great, it is not worth rushing. Enjoy the fact that you were just given more years on your life. You can enjoy many more lines of trapshooting when the time comes.

I hope you heal very well. My wife gave me the gift of my life back along with some incredible medical proffessionals. My shooting yesterday was incredible. Just break the targets in your head every day until the right day comes along. Take it slow and steady.

Good luck my friend.
    Mark Stevens
    ( Primedust) aka:Coach

8. crustygalloot

crustygalloot TS Member

i also had bypass surgery on oct 19 but in 2007. also had a defibulator implanted at that time. went to the gun club about this time in 08 after i was cleared by my doctors.definitely check with them first.also agree with the one gentleman about only taking one box of shells. had no pain the first time i shot but about halfway through the round i was spent. take it slow,youve got time. robin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how long after bypass surgery before i can shhot trap