1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Heart Surgery & Trap Shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JimBoNC, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimBoNC

JimBoNC TS Member

Learned last week that I will be having Mitral Valve repair/replacement around the first or second week in July. The good news/bad news is, my surgeon has spent most of his life in medical school and not on the trap range, so he cannot fully undertand the effects of a 12ga recoil. My question is, has any reader of this post had heart surgery and if so how long before you could resume trap shooting. He is telling me that golfing is out for about 6 to 8 months.
    Thank you in advance for your reply,
    Jim

2. DocJim

DocJim Member

Your surgeon may know more about shooting than you think..If not, educate him. I think it's about 15 foot pounds for a modest 1 oz load. You didn't say if you would be on blood thinners after the surgery, but if so your dose should probably be stabilized before you start to shoot again. Depending how you heal I would think that a conservative estimate would be about 3 months. At that time you certainly aren't going to hurt anything but you still might be a little sore on chest movement, recoil, etc. HTH.........Jim, MD

3. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I had quad bypass and was shooting 28ga. in 3 months and 7/8 oz. loads in four. Your body will tell you after your surgeon says you are back together.

4. JimBoNC

JimBoNC TS Member

Doc Jim, Jim Miller,
    Thank you both for your comments.
    Coumadin is on order for about 6 months if we can repair the valve, forever if we have to replace it.
    Jim M it sounds like you now have a 'new' heart, that was alot going on in your chest that day. How long ago was your operation?
    To be more specific with my question, does a typical 4 day 1200 target shoot give you any problems after the required recovery time?
    JimD

5. gusto777

gusto777 Member

I had my aortic valve replaced with an artificial valve. My doctor and surgeon both wanted me to wait a minimum of 4 months before shooting. I followed their advice and have had no problems.

6. CharlieP

CharlieP TS Member

"The good news/bad news is, my surgeon has spent most of his life in medical school and not on the trap range"

I've got some good news for you. I don't know squat about medicine or surgery, but I've got many years of trapshooting experience. I'll do that surgery for you, no charge, just as soon as I sharpen up my Buck knife.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If they have to open your chest for the surgery..every thing will be well healed by the time you can thump your chest without pain! That's what the doctor told a friend.

8. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

just dont do it at the same time

9. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

i HAD 4WAY BY-PASS AND WAS BACK SHOOTING 10WEEKS ..HURTS ALITTLE SHOOTING MY MODEL12..PUT A COUNTER COIL ON IT nO PROBLEM ...I NOW HAVE A TM1 with soft touch and ITS GREAT!! Chuck

10. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Had quad by-pas 5 years ago. blood vessels were in really good shape except for blockage. My Dr. let me back shooting in 6 weeks using light loads. Went to S W Grand all events for last 6 days no problems with his blessings. His main caution was if it hurts stop doing it. 1 oz loads at 1150 worked great.and no pain. get the therapy done and push yourself for advncement into getting your strength back. You'll do fine. Ps my doc is a shooter, notrap but sc and hunts, always asks his patients whether righty or lefty before putting a pacemaker just to make sure he gets it on the side that wont intefere. good guy.

Bob

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Quad by pass 13 years ago and still above ground. I took 10 weeks to get back VERY lightly. Start with 10 rounds as the gun gets heavy -- you loose muscle tone in your arms and chest. Start with light weights to build back up and "gun ups". I personally found it was the weight of the gun that was difficult, not the recoil. If you are being split open, you will not be in a lot of pain. The chest area does not have a lot of nerves. You will be on some type of super tylenol when you get home, but you will feel GOOD in that you now have all that extra oxygen being pumped. Look for a good and relatively pain free recovery. Get some good books and wake up early to enjoy the sunsrise.. it will be a new day. Just be sensible and listen to your body. The stainless stiches will tweak you a little, but so what. Best wishes on your recovery. You will shoot again!! Fred

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I had an Aortic valve replacement with a St.Jude #25 Mechanical valve, was too young for the pig valve, the pig valve needs replaced approx 5 - 10 years, am stuck w/coumadin.

Had surgery November 14th 2002, was shooting February 20th lite shells then 2 months later full 1 1/8th oz 3 dram loads.

I loaded a lot of shells w/hydraulic loader 1 month after surgery to have something to do, and it was cold weather.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Some people heal faster than others, your Doctor and you should make the call not a bunch of trap shooters weather they have had the proceedure or not ... Better safe than sorry, and if all goes well there is no rush to get back into shooting because you'll be around for awhile, if not whats the difference ..? Good Luck ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

All: great comments (esp. Fred)..
    I just got out of the hospital and googled "shooting after open heart surgery" and saw your 6/21 postings on TS.com I just had the HeXX scared out of me: 69 yrs old - shooting fairly good - reasonable health...now 7 (yes) 7 bypasses. Glad to be alive - no evident heart damage. I plan on waiting several weeks and get Dr. clearance. Planning on going back to 1100s with 7/8 loads to start. Really got a first-hand encounter with the old adage from Harold Ensley (TV guy in KC area) "It's later than you think ol'buddy...you better take time out to fish!" Best Regards, Ed O'Dower Overland Park, Kansas

15. poppie

poppie TS Member

had 6way bypass in 2007. went rabbit hunting in 3 week shot a 410 went deer hunting in 4 weeks killed any 8 pointer with 243. just today shoot the southern zone broke 197. i have had no problems good luck.

16. DH

DH TS Member

Triple by-pass Oct '06--back shooting 3 dram, 1 1/8 oz Feb '07
    shoot 10,000 plus every year
    Dave Hakola

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just don't grt in a big hurry, it's not worth the risk of having something bad happen by rushing things. There is always this fall or next year.

18. Donm

Donm Active Member

Quad by-pass 7/96. Eight weeks went to Cudahy Gun Club championships. Won all three events and HOA. Must have forgot some of my bad habits. The sternum should be healed in about eight weeks. Started shooting my bow at 15 weeks. Had a couple of balloon jobs and 5 stents since and just finished 800 targets at Wiscsonin state shoot today. Hoping to make a few more.

19. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

I had 5 bypasses late Dec. Broke 200 at the state shoot late march. Good Luck. Jess

20. JimBoNC

JimBoNC TS Member

A big thank you to everyone for your comments. I had the surgery July 9th and was discharged from the hospital July 13th. The surgeon was able to repair rather than replace the Mitral valve, which was great news. The pain medication is great, just makes me goofier than normal. I have a great appetite and look forward to a speedy recovery and the 2010 trap season!
    Thank you again,
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting a shotgun after open heart surgery