1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

open choke for windy days?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim101, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

No!!!!!

Jim

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yes!!!!!

HMB

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Don't make any gun changes on windy days. Shoot what you are used to. Shooting in the wind is really not that much more difficult than without wind. It is mostly in your mind. The wind really messes with a lot of peoples heads, and as a result, they tend to shot miserable scores in the wind. While a windy day will lower scores a little, look at the winning scores on the scoreboard after you are done. My bet is that the winning scores will be pretty much what they are on a calm day. Those shooters that post the high scores just didn't let the wind alter their shoot plans. I, personally, do not make any equipment changes, nor shell changes, for the wind. The only thing I change on windy days is I take a little extra time to really see what the target is doing before I take the shot and I widen my stance a little for better stability...... Just my opinion.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. John A. Davis

John A. Davis TS Member

I don't make changes for windy days but I have taken advice from many shooters and finally just went to a modified choke. I have no problem from the 16 yard line nor do I have any problems from the 21 yard line. I know most will say the tighter the better and I guess that could be so from the back fence but I ran 25 from the 25 just last week so when I miss it's me not the gun , and not the modified choke. john

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

jamie- I think that changing to a full choke on windy days would help. I think changing to a full choke on all days would help.

Pat Ireland

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Shooting in slight breezes is nothing at all like shooting in hard blowing winds. Pattern your pet in a stiff cross-wind sometime if you plan on shooting in all conditions. You may be in for a surprise. Hap

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Think about what you are saying here and remember the industry standards for choke designations. The percentage changes are very small and the distance they are measured is well beyond 16 yard target breaking distances. At less than 30 yards, you will not be able to tell the difference between IM and M choke performances. Going from IM to M is not going to change anything on a calm day, and will have zero effect on a windy day also.

8. romie

romie Active Member

I shot today in a 20 mph wind and noticed the target kept rising if it went right or into the wind ,it stayed level or dipped if it went left or with the wind behind it.....Didn't do too hot.

9. smartass

smartass TS Member

I prefer IC. It works for me- got me all the way to C-21-D

10. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Heck, why not just go with a Cylinder and employ that "Spray and Pray" method? Then you could shoot from the hip!

Or better yet, just make it Full for everything, and never change anything.

cls

11. Hi-Skor

Hi-Skor TS Member

I personally would not change the choke. This past sunday we were shooting in 25-35 mph winds and I was still using my full choke in my BT 100. Although the birds were dancing quite a bit out there I still managed to agerage 21 with 7/8 oz of 9 shot granted we were shooting 20 yds and in but I rarely change the choke

12. fishon

fishon TS Member

i say when its really windy put your skeet choke n watchem break

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

You really want to see something, shoot an IC from the 23yd line with an oz of 8's @ 1200fps and watch the target turn to dust! I tried this during a piece and protection on my call birds and was still breaking them to hard! And this was done in cold weather around Christmas.

ec90t

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Heck Yeah..you're not gonna hit many anyway,...ok all kidding aside if its extremely windy and the targets are doing really wild things I actually do open up for 16yds only from IMOD to MOD and maybe even LMOD...but thats just me...CAPs I don't change

15. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

Just shoot the bird. If you need to change chokes for windy days wouldn't it make sense to shoot that choke on a calm day and you should even do better on non windy days.

Some of the thinks just make me wonder. Mind games. Some one is playing with your mind about changing chokes in Windy weather.

Some trapshooters just give out crazy advice to see how many people will actually belive it.

Why not start this one. Don't you have any of those special shells they sell for windy days. Kind of like the 8's in the winter time thread list here. Get real.

I laugh in the winter at the guy shooting 8's on fun and games. I will beat him every time. I watch people like this trying to figure out what they are doing wrong when they can't break the target in the winter time.

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Mark,
    This was done at Kokomo in front of Hector, Hawk, Tommy, and Roscoe. Don't forget who I am, I've taken your money more than once!

ec90t

Eric Collins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.