1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

open carry?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

We have a significant number of coyotes and other carnivores where I deer hunt including wolves]. The wife, who is keenly aware of this fact, is a little worried about my well being out in the woods. She says "what if you fall outta the the tree and can't get back to the truck. All you have is that crossbow to defend yourself". This being a good point, I thought I would check in to the legality of carrying my five shot .38. Does anyone know if I can carry it on my hip, in plain sight legally. I have never looked in to handgun-carry laws during bow season in Michigan. thanks Bill Wheeler

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The answer is simple. Contact Michigan DNR and ask them.

Oh, and carry a cell phone and a GPS so you can call for help, and tell people exactly where you are.

Assuming you are conscious.

You DO wear a safety harness in your tree stand, right? If not, you're asking for an accident.

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Archery Deer Seasons
    During the archery deer seasons, it is illegal to carry afield a pistol, revolver or other firearm while bow hunting for deer.

Exceptions: This prohibition does not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. However, a concealed pistol license does not authorize the individual to use the pistol to take game except as provided by law.

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Rifle Zone

In the rifle zone, deer may be taken with handguns, rifles, crossbows, bows and arrows, shotguns and muzzleloading firearms including black powder handguns. It is legal to hunt deer in the rifle zone with any caliber of firearm except a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun). During the firearm deer seasons, a firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow and firearm.

Exception: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons above for restrictions during this season.

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Shotgun Zone
    In the shotgun zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm restrictions or use a crossbow or bow and arrow. Crossbows are legal to use by a person 12 years of age or older during the Nov. 15-30 firearm deer season. Legal firearms are as follows:

A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
    A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
    A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

Exception: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons above for restrictions during this season. From Nov. 15-30, .22 caliber or smaller rimfire rifles and handguns may be used to kill raccoons while hunting raccoons with dogs between the hours of 7 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Hope this helps.....

Jerbear

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

yes i carry a cell phone, but reception is spotty. Always use a harness, too. Have you tried to get someone on the phone at the dnr here in MI? Not always easy. Besides, somtimes I get more interesting answers here Tim. Bill

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Thanks Jer, that pretty much says it. I'll have to get a bigger knife. Bill

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you use the harness Bill.

Sounds like the answer is to get a concealed carry license. Then you're good.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

In VA you are not permittied to carry a firearm with you during bow season. No firearm is permitted at all. The reason is some people will use the gun to kill the deer then stick the arrow in the hole. I don't know what state your in but you might want to check your state laws.

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Auctioneer, I had a former brother-in-law who used to do that.

He'd shoot a deer with his .222 and then stick an arrow in the wound and high tail it out of there. lol

I don't think he ever got caught.

Hauxfan!

9. Auctioneer

Hauxfan, The local GW here is aware of such things and have caught alot of people trying to do it. Its almost gotten to be a joke.

10. joesailor

joesailor TS Member

In Virginia, Concealed permit holders MAY carry a firearm during all of the deer seasons, archery, blackpowder and firearm:

from the DGIF site:

•Possess a concealed handgun during archery seasons, muzzleloader seasons, and general firearms seasons.
    •Possess a concealed handgun on National Forest and Department lands during the closed season.
    •Possess and transport a loaded concealed handgun in or on any vehicle on National Forest and Department lands.
    •Possess a concealed handgun while using dogs for tracking wounded or dead bear or deer but no game may be taken.

11. Auctioneer

If thats true then the law has changed. I will check on it.

12. Auctioneer

I just got a reply from the local GW. It is not legal to carry any firearm during bow season. You may how ever care a side arm if you have a CCW permit. It is not legal to take any game with that CCW during bow season. So to answer the question its is not legal to carry an open gun during bow season. It s legal to CCW but you can't use it on any game. AT ALL.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Looks like it would be okay to carry a pistol openly since you said you were hunting with a crossbow and that is only a legal weapon during the firearm season. Same rule applies here in NV. No firearms of any kind during archery season but side arms are okay during the firearm season.

14. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

Why not apply for a CCW card?

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

crossbows are legal here for everyone during bow season. i will be getting the ccw. Bill

16. torqueman

torqueman Member

Great country we cant even carry guns in the woods what happen to being inocent till proven giulty! They just asume we are all disonest like the politions that make the laws ,sorry about the spelling!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.