1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OnStar

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 221, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I do not know if I just haven't noticed,,But OnStar is running a commercial where the cops call them and they(OnStar) shut the power off to a stolen Tahoe.......Remember the Dually in Atlanta that they were chasing, and it just quit???....and they denied shutting it off. It was a Diesel and they claimed it ran out of fuel and a Tech came and drove it away.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Assuming that "OnStar" or other systems like it have the ability to monitor and shut down your engine when it passes some pre determined limit is a very sharp two edged sword.

While it may be effective in many cases of a stolen vehicle or legitimate police use I can foresee government control over the way we drive. Not a good thing. The sad part is that future vehicles may have a receiver hidden that the buyer is not aware of and big brother could be watching and controling.

Eric

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Its for that exact reason I will never own a vehicle with OnStar. They still know where your going with that handy GPS everyone carries around...

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

The feature you are discussing is called Stolen Vehicle Slowdown. It is an optional feature for those of you that feel that big brother is watching.

Also interesting to note that those that will never own a vehicle with OnStar may be walking or driving a clunker for the rest of your life. As every Auto manufacturer either has OnStar or an equivalent or soon will. Just because it has OnStar doesn't mean you have to pay the bill for the subscription and it is not activated or active if the bill isn't payed.

BTW another interesting feature is Ignition Lock once the vehicle is reported stolen. The OnStar customer can request this feature be activated and if the car thief shut the ignition off he can't restart the vehicle.

Bob Lawless

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You can bet missing a required emission check would cause an Onstar shutdown at some future point.

I do like the ability to get emergency help if a wreck happens.

"two edged sword" is a good characterization.

HM

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I just love the paranoia........

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.