1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Only Well trained Cops should be allowed to carry

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Bisi, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

We got a few people on this site who argue that only well trained cops should be allowed to carry. Like this guy? Click on above link.

An Indiana State Cop (from Evansville, where else) was waving his gun around in a Fishers bar. He had a BAC of .27! Typical behavior of someone from Eville visiting Naptown.

I've been to that bar several times when attending the State Shoot. Nothing that exciting has happened while I was a patron there. LOL

2. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm sure some of our LEO's will be all over this one. Popcorn time?

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Must be 548's buddy,,,,,,do as I say not as I do.....

4. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Looks like somebody is going to see the "boss" come monday morning!!!! And it ain't gonna be fun! Relieved of duty, turn in the badge, gun and car. If found guilty, hes done.

5. copper

copper Member

Had nothing to due with his training had to due with his character ,Same amount of misguided people in every profession . Good and bad that is gun dealers cops teachers , military , car dealers, doctors. I guided hunting 30 years ago for a few cops on a steady basis one comes to mind and expert on big game and gun and a nut job, I will not even get into stories he told I cringed to turn my back on him figured he might get bored and shoot me , I told the guy who booked hunts do not bring him back . He was big shot on force . Throw in when I was head guide at duck club many years ago and Judge and Lawyer show up late hung over booze coming through there bores . They are just people good and bad .

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I will say that is a hard job with alot of stress. Coming from the office and from the street. Some people just can't take it.

Here in Va that officer would be fired before he got out of jail. The State Troopers have a very fine line to work with and they all know not to go near it.

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

City's and LIV's find it easier to accept, Militarizing their "to serve and protect" force.

City's, because its cheaper in their mindset.

LIV's, because they are willing to give up their freedoms for the "feeling" of security.

Have well trained police would be great, but if you don't "practice" shooting and safe gun handling, YOUR DANGEROUS around everyone!!!!

As one of my Hunter Ed students told me after class was over, A 26 year old who had just gotten out of the service. He hadn't taken Hunter Ed when he was a teenager and our state requires "first time" hunters to take the class.

"I was taught to shoot at people in the military, I learned a whole lot more in your class about "safe" gun handling then I did in the service." Loved his last question,"You guys do this for free?"

IS NOT America GREAT!!

8. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

When I was a youngster the Police Athletic League had a 25 yard indoor pistol range - nothing fancy but well with good lighting and the best thing was there was some space on one end and I convinced them to let me put up an archery butt to practice - it was only a couple of blocks from our house and I shot for an hour almost every night.

I knew many of the officer's (I dated the Chief's daughter for awhile) and it was amazing how poorly most of them could shoot their service revolvers.

I think most of them had to "pencil whip" the scores when they shot their annual qualifications. They were such bad shots I could shoot a better score on the standard 25-yard pistol target with my Hoyt Olympian recurve bow than they could with their issue revolver and I made a few bucks proving it to them.

Of course back then most of the cops were pretty big guys (before equal opportunity hiring) who didn't need to pull their gun on someone as the night stick they carried was pretty effective

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

At a gun club that I go to there was a shift commander there and he said I FEAR FOR THE SAFETY OF THE PUBLIC. Meaning the officers under him weren't so great.

In my area the new police chief came in and cleaned house. I MEAN HE CLEANED OUT ALL THE TRASH IN THE DEPARTMENT. There were officers who I didn't like to much because of their arrogant attitude left by what ever means. They then hired some new young officers who look like they are going to be good officers.

10. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

As said above, training nor IQ has anything to do with this kind of incident; poor decision making, clouded by booze with a cocky attitude sounds as if what allegedly happened...

Regardless, law enforcement are held to higher standards, everyone knows this when they take the oath. So he will not be surprised when he gets punished more harshly than an average citizen who does the same foolish thing. He is lucky he didn't shot from the way the various news organizations described the event. Bottom line is he went to jail, that is law enforcement integrity in action compared to the beliefs of a very few on this site who thinks that law enforcement is running a muck and routinely giving each other "passes" for breaking the law.

This trooper is now facing a class "D" Felony for the crim reck with the gun and two "A" misdemeanors.

11. Avatar

No need to rush to judgment. The article doesn't give much detail as to why he had taken the gun out, etc., but it doesn't appear he threatened anyone, shot or otherwise misused the gun. Also, he did have enough sense, in his inebriated state, to walk rather than drive.