Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Only an 81 in doubles but I feel confident

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  sjlga 
#1 ·
Back in 2007 I shot 100 doubles with a borrowed 3200 and only broke a 79, but it was sure fun. I have really wanted to be able to shoot doubles again. Mike, at Silver Dollar Firearms, took in a real nice 101 that was in my price range. I picked it up last week and with my work schedule I was not able to shoot it until Friday at the Silver Dollar in the Dixie Grand doubles championship. I was sure hoping both barrels worked since I had not fired a shot through it. Anyhow I managed to break 81 with a few 10s in the mix. I feel that with some getting used to the gun, and some practice, I will break some decent scores. The main thing is, doubles are a blast!!
Thanks for reading,
Gary B.

#2 ·
Confidence is everything!!!! And its contageous....in Anchorage, we shoot the "Ironman" doubles in late August. It's 500 pair - yes, 1,000 targets, 20 full rounds of 50- in a single day. we start at 10AM and get done about 330pm or thereabouts. Last year we had about 20 of us shoot the whole thousand.

Anyway, I typically carry right around a 90 average in doubles, little more, little less. But that day i got off to a good start and just kept after it and ended up with 935/1000, good for third place.

have fun!!

#3 ·
Doubles are the most fun you can have with your clothes on.. While I was never great at them.. It takes lots of practice to keep the rythum going.. Work hard.. and you'll give Jeff a run for his money.. Be SURE you and your shotgun are as one.. Good luck.. sounds like you are well on your way.. Mike

#4 ·
I've never shot but 100 doubles, thanks to a friend in Jacksonville, and enjoyed it verry much. I was really surprised that I shot a 79 but have to admit that Jake did coach me as to which bird to shoot first from which stations. LOL It's 80 miles to the closest place to shoot doubles so I haven't been back. Jackie B.

#7 ·
If you watch doubles shooters, most misses are on the second bird. In order to avoid this you can set your guns POI for the second bird. Since most shotguns have the same POI for both barrels, you run into the problem of hitting that fast rising first bird with a gun that has been set up to shoot flat for the second bird. I solved the problem by trapping the first bird. I shoot the straight away first, I know the flight path, I hold a level gun on the flight path, and pull the trigger when I see the bird come out of the house. For that first shot I use a skeet choke and 1 oz of 9s. For the second bird I use 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s or 8s and a IM choke. HMB

#8 ·
Every o/u I have owned the bottom barrel shot higher than the top barrel. Years ago, I purchased a Skb 505 combo set. In doubles I was shooting low 80's by shooting the lower barrel on the first shot and the top barrel on the second shot. I switched it one day, and shot the top barrel first and the lower barrel second and I shot a 93. Try doing this and see what happens to your scores. Most importantly pattern these barrels so you know exactly where these barrels are shooting.
Steve Balistreri

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.